Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > BCG questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2013, 11:16 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 538 Times on 328 Posts
Likes Given: 214

Default BCG questions

Working on my first AR-15 build. I have a few questions I want to throw out here.

1) How much should a good M16 Bolt Carrier Group cost for 5.56? I am not needing anything super fancy, just a standard mil-spec quality, nothing too expensive.

2) Is the nickel plated or chrome plated ones really any better?

3) Is there any brands to AVOID? - has anyone used West Fork Armory?

4) Does anyone know where to find them in stock online?

Practice doesn't make perfect, it make permanent.

When I hear a Liberal say "I can speak for gun owners because I own a shotgun" I just want to scream "Well I can speak for vegetarians because I like lettuce on my cheeseburger!"

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-19-2013, 11:38 PM   #2

Liked 84 Times on 61 Posts

Well the coating depends on what you're going to use the rifle for. If it is just a plinker or range gun then a phosphate coated carrier should be just fine. If you check out cbarms.com they have them in stock. Not the greatest price but not horrible

Old 04-19-2013, 11:41 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2686 Times on 1340 Posts
Likes Given: 261

Disclosure: I'm still an AR novice.

Last I looked, $130 on up depending on brand & finish.
All other things being equal and using my own money I think that a Hard Chrome finish should be about as exotic as most people will really need, opinions vary of course. IMHO, it makes them a bit easier to clean.
No idea about West Fork Armory.
I haven't been searching very hard, but Most AR parts are still very rare.

NRA Life Member

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand."
Milton Friedman

Old 04-19-2013, 11:41 PM   #4

Liked 971 Times on 682 Posts
Likes Given: 972

PSA has M16 BCGs pop up occasionally. I ordered one last week for $180, a decent price lately. (Haven't received it yet so can't comment on quality.) I've never bought fancy coatings but my milspec BCGs from BCM (2) and Daniel Defense (1) have functioned well while cleaning hasn't been difficult.

As usual it's hit or miss finding a good BCG, IMO BCM is the best. I'd get on email notification lists and check often.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 04-19-2013, 11:44 PM   #5

Liked 84 Times on 61 Posts

I would say go with a PSA if you happen to find one in stock

Old 04-20-2013, 01:21 AM   #6

Liked 1126 Times on 731 Posts
Likes Given: 2013

The west fork armory bcgs are R guns and are made by a reputable manufacturer , not R guns . $180 is about the going rate . I own a few of these and there has not been any issues

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Old 04-20-2013, 08:16 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1030 Times on 575 Posts
Likes Given: 428

1. Shop around. A mil-spec BCG is a mil-spec BCG.

2. Nickel Boron and Chromium platings make clean-up easier. Running AR's dry is not a good idea. If regular reapplication of light oil lubricants irritate you, use a high temperature grease.

3. Avoid brands that have poor customer service. Anyone can get on a forum and blather about how Brand X is better or worse than Brand Y. All that matters is that your BCG works for you. The only way you can know that is to run it.

4. Google is your friend. If you absolutely have to have a BCG, try GunBroker, GunsAmerica, GunAuction, ArmsList, etc. Expect to pay premium prices.

In another few months, AR parts are gonna pop up everywhere after the missus makes her boyfriend/fiancee/husband get rid of all that junk he bought because of the non-existent gun ban to pay for Christmas presents.

Old 04-20-2013, 01:05 PM   #8

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

BCM is good. Don't think they're in stock though. Their Auto bolt carriers were a few days ago, which is honestly the same thing, just a tad bit heavier.

Old 04-20-2013, 03:43 PM   #9

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

I'd stay away from Midway's Stoner line of bcgs.

I've had bad luck with BRO Black Rain Ordinance Nickel Boron BCG. There's a thread on it, started by X-mark. I will say tho that take it at face value. That was a sample size of 1, so it may have been just plain dumb bad luck.

I've used PSA, Spike's, Daniel Defense, Rock River Arms SA, Ranier Arm's Thunderbolt and BCM with zero problems. Thousands of rounds each, and only have replaced gas rings.

I do have an LMT and a Young's NM, but only put about 100 rounds through them so far.

Last edited by AgentTikki; 04-20-2013 at 03:47 PM.

Old 04-20-2013, 05:09 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 234 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 29

In the old days (a few months ago), you could find a Spike's M16 BCG for $120 or BCM for $150...but you had to be quick. And those values were impossible to beat. I have a funny feeling those prices will increase at least a little on a permanent basis. If you can find either for under $200, you're doing just fine in my mind. The Spike's is probably every bit as good as the BCM, but BCM enjoys a greater coolness and desireability factor.

I have mixed feelings about NiB. Might be great, cost is high, sounds funny when cycling. When I want a finer finish on a BCG, I'm pretty happy with my experience with Cerakote. You can find the Microslicked STS Arms M16 BCGs for $185-230, and I think they're a solid buy. Have them in two of my rifles. Slick as snot, super smooth actions, well-staked, zero complaints. I've seen them going for $175 opening bid, $200 Buy it Now on GunBroker (just search 'ceramic BCG').

You can also get the STS Cerakotes here for $225 + $6 s&h. That's up about $35 from where they were 3 months ago, but everyone's prices have jumped on BCGs due to severe supply/demand issues that were actually already strained before the recent fiasco. This a product I would recommend to anyone hurting for a higher end BCG for under $250.

I'm very much if favor of buying quality when it comes to BCG. Probably the next most important part after your barrel. All of mine are M16s. Mine include BCM (3), DD (1), Spike's (1), and the STS Microslick (3). All excellent.

Last edited by sweeper22; 04-20-2013 at 05:11 PM.