Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > BCG Question - A Little Late

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2009, 11:52 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default BCG Question - A Little Late

I ordered the complete Bolt and Bolt Carrier Group for my AR from Bushmaster. I have a question that I probably should have asked before ordering. There is the option to order it for the AR-15 or M16. I ordered the AR-15 model without really thinking about it. What is the difference between the two? I was under the impression that the M16 was basically just a more customized AR-15.

Also, while I am thinking about it, would it be better to order a barrel chambered in .223 or 5.56 NATO? The one I have picked out from YHM is 5.56 NATO, but would it be better to find one in .223? Is one type of ammo more expensive or harder to find than the other (I know most ammo is getting pretty scarce right now)?

Thanks for all the help. Yall are the best.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-22-2009, 12:25 AM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

An M-16 Bolt Carrier Group is for built for full auto, sustained fire. They are generally a heavier profile than the standard AR-15 BCG.

You don't need one, but if you got one, it wouldn't hurt...

The barrel that you are refering too is actually the specs cut into the chamber.

A 5.56 NATO chamber is rated for a higher pressure cartridge, which the 5.56mm is

.223 Chamber is rated for the lower pressure civilian version of the round.

There are a lot of people that will tell you the rounds are interchangable - and to a certain extent, they are right.

However, if you have a .223 chamber and you run 5.56mm rounds through it, there is a CHANCE that you could have a problem.

With the 5.56mm chamber, you can run the lower pressure .223 through it without a problem, but your accuracy will suffer....

You should be fine with the configuration that you have going...

JD

Old 03-22-2009, 06:02 AM   #3

Thanks for the info, that cleared things up a lot.

So if my barrel is chambered for 5.56 then I would have no problems using either 5.56 or .223? Is one cheaper in price than the other? Is 5.56 harder to find than .223?

Old 03-22-2009, 02:01 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2688 Times on 1405 Posts
Likes Given: 216

You will find .223 more readily in retail establishments. 5.56 in gun shops or on line. You will likely never notice the difference in accuracy (until you get thousands of rounds down range and become proficient).

As far as the BCG, you are not likely to find an outlet that will sell you an M-16 Bolt carrier. Most places now want a copy of your tax stamp to get any full-auto parts.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 03-22-2009, 06:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FightinTexasAggie View Post
Thanks for the info, that cleared things up a lot.

So if my barrel is chambered for 5.56 then I would have no problems using either 5.56 or .223? Is one cheaper in price than the other? Is 5.56 harder to find than .223?
If your chamber is cut for 5.56, then you will see a SLIGHT decrease in accuracy when you shoot the civilian .223

Will you notice the difference? As Robo as indicated, correctly I might add, that you as a novice shooter probably won't notice the difference.

But, having a 5.56mm cut chamber will give you more options moving forward if suddenly one type of ammo becomes scarce.

JD

Old 03-24-2009, 01:46 AM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
You will find .223 more readily in retail establishments. 5.56 in gun shops or on line. You will likely never notice the difference in accuracy (until you get thousands of rounds down range and become proficient).

As far as the BCG, you are not likely to find an outlet that will sell you an M-16 Bolt carrier. Most places now want a copy of your tax stamp to get any full-auto parts.
Not trying to be argumentative, but I've yet to find anyplace that carries both auto/semi BCG's that require a stamp. Bravo Co., GTS Tactical, etc. all sell auto and semi BCG's with no requirements, other than for you to choose which you want. The auto BCG is a little heavier which some believe aids the shorter M4 configuration.

I think the only time they will ask for a copy of your stamp, is if you are ordering replacement parts for your full auto/selective fire control group (ie - auto sear, M16 trigger parts, etc).

Slo

Last edited by slowryde45; 03-24-2009 at 01:47 AM. Reason: added which fcg for clarity

Old 03-24-2009, 07:03 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

The unfettered access to M-16 BCG's has ebbed and flowed over the years. I guess the ATF is allowing it "currently". With the current state of affairs in regards to SUR's, they could change their minds tomorrow and go after everyone that has any part needed to convert a semi into a F/A.

There was a sentiment that the heavier F/A carrier could enhance reliability in carbines. This may have been founded, but there is no real advantage in a rifle stocked set up with the heavier buffer. The same additional weight advantage can be obtained by simply using an "H" buffer in the carbine stock.

As an agency armorer, I have numerous F/A parts in my bin but I am careful to keep them at work so the alphabet boys don't get the wrong idea.

The F/A carrier is required to make most home made drop in auto sears work. The feds could easily use this as an excuse to make an about face and declare all such carriers suddenly contraband.

"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 03-24-2009, 12:12 PM   #8

The only F/A item that is absolutely regulated by BATFE is the sear itself. Bolt carrier, trigger, hammer, selector and disconnect are all legal to purchase but many places will not sell them without your documentation as a matter of company policy. Just as some places won't sell a shorty upper or barrel for an AR without documentation even though it's perfectly legal.

The onus is on you to not install it without a stamp. As robo advised though, I wouldn't test the waters by mixing and matching F/A parts in an AR since words like "intent" and phrases like "constructive possession" can be open to interpretation.

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Old 03-25-2009, 02:47 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepcreep927 View Post
The only F/A item that is absolutely regulated by BATFE is the sear itself. Bolt carrier, trigger, hammer, selector and disconnect are all legal to purchase but many places will not sell them without your documentation as a matter of company policy. Just as some places won't sell a shorty upper or barrel for an AR without documentation even though it's perfectly legal.

The onus is on you to not install it without a stamp. As robo advised though, I wouldn't test the waters by mixing and matching F/A parts in an AR since words like "intent" and phrases like "constructive possession" can be open to interpretation.
ATF has "changed their minds" several times over the years in regards to what constitutes a Machine Gun. They allow rifled barrel 12 ga shotguns even though they meet the description of a Destructive Device (larger than .50 caliber). They arbitrarily reclassified Street Sweepers as DD's several years ago. A .600 NE double rifle "could" cecome a controlled item tomorrow, if they choose to do so. A used M-72 LAW tube "could" be arbitrarily be changed to the status of DD and put numerous militaria collectors in Federal prison.

If you "trust" that our current administration (or any other subsequent administration) will continue the status quo, knock yourself out and put every M-16 part you can find in your AR-15 except the auto sear.

I would much rather stay safe and not have ANY M-16 parts in my rifles.

If you have never read the Probable Cause Affidavit submitted to obtain the search warrant to raid the Branch Davidian compound (just up the road from me) in Waco, READ IT! The things that were extrapolated into "proof" of criminal intent are down right scary. Just because a magazine "could" be used in an M-16 was used as proof that it "was" being used in an M-16.

I am not a Tin Foil Hat, Grassy Knoll, Alex Jones listening, Illuminati fearingConspiracy Theorist, BUT.....I am a realist. If you think Uncle Sugar wants us all to be free and exercise our rights guaranteed under the Constitution of The United States of America, you are a fool.

Sorry about the rant, but this is all starting to get to me. I fear our "more perfect union" is not long for this Earth.

"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 03-25-2009, 02:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post

I am not a Tin Foil Hat, Grassy Knoll, Alex Jones listening, Illuminati fearingConspiracy Theorist, BUT.....I am a realist. If you think Uncle Sugar wants us all to be free and exercise our rights guaranteed under the Constitution of The United States of America, you are a fool.

Sorry about the rant, but this is all starting to get to me. I fear our "more perfect union" is not long for this Earth.
Quoted for Truth!!

You are not the only one feeling that way my large friend - there are several of us who feel that the "Beginning" of the end has officially occured....

JD