BCG locked up
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

BCG locked up

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2015, 11:09 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 102

Default BCG locked up

Shooting my AR for the 1st time and after 9 rds. the BCG locked halfway between locked and open. I got it apart after removing the forward assist. Upon examination, the BCG was locked due to the "end" of the forward assist breaking into 3 pieces. The gunsmith believes the forward assist was improperly pieced together and then installed. Will the rifle operate correctly if I put the same forward assist back in and not be able to use it? In all honesty, I've been shooting AR's, M-16's, M4's, and the forward assist has never been of use, ever, so it won't bother me not to use it.

M16ark60 Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-24-2015, 12:01 PM   #2

Liked 123 Times on 78 Posts

Why not just replace it? It's a cheap part and some day you could regret not having it.

People Like This 
Old 07-24-2015, 12:47 PM   #3

Liked 249 Times on 166 Posts

Agreed. I would just stick a new one in. No big deal, unless the broken pieces damaged internals.

Sent from a phone I can use to do my taxes, but can't make a damn call.
paul Likes This 
Old 07-24-2015, 01:05 PM   #4

Liked 137 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 1

It will operate if you remove it completely. I would remove it, order a new one, and have an operable firearm while waiting for the parts. If you leave the bad forward assist in there, it is not operable at all.

I agree, a clean, well lubricated rifle never needs the forward assist. I've never had to use it to fully close the bolt. Once had a rifle that I was issued while deployed. if you rode the bolt closed to quietly chamber a round, it wouldn't fully close and you had to tap the assist. I took the thing apart and found carbon crud everywhere from extreme neglect. Guy never cleaned the weapon after tons of 'play' with blanks and the BFA.

After removing all carbon, lubricating and cleaning everything up, the weapon cycled like a brand new M4, and you could quietly and slowly ride the bolt forward on a live round and it would snap the bolt closed with ease.
People Like This 
Old 07-24-2015, 02:53 PM   #5

Liked 289 Times on 230 Posts
Likes Given: 440

Don't put the bad part back in. Better off ordering a new one and just fire without it until new one arrives.
paul Likes This 
Old 07-24-2015, 05:39 PM   #6

Default BCG locked up

Great suggestions and I agree with replacing as original. Looks to be an easy fix. I appreciate the helpful replies.

Old 07-24-2015, 07:14 PM   #7

Liked 767 Times on 409 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul View Post
Shooting my AR for the 1st time and after 9 rds. the BCG locked halfway between locked and open. I got it apart after removing the forward assist. Upon examination, the BCG was locked due to the "end" of the forward assist breaking into 3 pieces. The gunsmith believes the forward assist was improperly pieced together and then installed. Will the rifle operate correctly if I put the same forward assist back in and not be able to use it? In all honesty, I've been shooting AR's, M-16's, M4's, and the forward assist has never been of use, ever, so it won't bother me not to use it.

Out of curiosity, what manufacturer buoy that?

Old 07-25-2015, 06:02 AM   #8

DPMS off of Gunbroker

Old 07-27-2015, 10:37 AM   #9

Liked 289 Times on 230 Posts
Likes Given: 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul View Post
DPMS off of Gunbroker
DPMS isn't a bad brand, but you may have gotten a "kit" gun, that is someone had a stripped lower and ordered a rifle kit to assemble the gun with. A lot of people, including myself, have done this. I happen to have taken a course in 2004 that Colt offered to military and law enforcement. Not to brag, but they made us assemble and disassemble ad nauseum M16's and M4's for 4 days from sunup to sundown. It gave me the skills to correctly put parts on that weapons platform safely. I have gained skills to do more since the course. I see some guys building AR's that makes me cringe when they put some parts together. A lot of guys shouldn't be building AR's. Anyway, I think you may have gotten a "Bubba" built gun, with some DPMS parts in it.
Mercator Likes This 
Old 07-28-2015, 01:49 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4360 Times on 2948 Posts
Likes Given: 2174

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsted2a View Post
DPMS isn't a bad brand, but you may have gotten a "kit" gun, that is someone had a stripped lower and ordered a rifle kit to assemble the gun with. A lot of people, including myself, have done this. I happen to have taken a course in 2004 that Colt offered to military and law enforcement. Not to brag, but they made us assemble and disassemble ad nauseum M16's and M4's for 4 days from sunup to sundown. It gave me the skills to correctly put parts on that weapons platform safely. I have gained skills to do more since the course. I see some guys building AR's that makes me cringe when they put some parts together. A lot of guys shouldn't be building AR's. Anyway, I think you may have gotten a "Bubba" built gun, with some DPMS parts in it.
I think fsted is spot on. Someone messed with the FA, so it ended up not fully retracted during the firing cycle.

+1 on nothing wrong with DPMS. All Remington AR's including mine are DPMS, and probably more DPMS parts are in other brands than we will ever know.