BCG info pretty please..specs n stuff - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > BCG info pretty please..specs n stuff

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2013, 08:54 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 244 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickTheNickhead View Post
Unstaked gas key? That's horrible!
That's pretty much friggin important on a BCG correct? What issues might I run into without a staked gas key? Can I GET it staked?
What should I be concerned about if its not staked?
How much was the Les Baer? I'm hoping it was well under $200.

Part of what concerns me is that the picture at the top is of an AR15 BCG, as opposed to an M16. That's not to say the AR version can't work...but generally the M16 versions have a higher percentage of the details (staking, proper metals, tests, etc) executed correctly. That's why the auto versions cost a little more than similar semiauto versions.

Gas keys can work themselves loose (rarely), but staking can be done once you receive it. It's really one of those little things that by itself is unlikely to result in failure...but whether or not it's been done properly is a pretty good indication of the level of care, craftmanship, and attention to detail that went into the whole BCG.

People often cite the BCM bcg, because they take pride in doing all the little things right the first time and with the right materials.

Last edited by sweeper22; 07-08-2013 at 08:57 PM.

Old 07-08-2013, 10:01 PM   #12

Liked 74 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I've heard many good things about Young Manufacturing, if indeed this who manufacturers this BCG. They DON'T stake their Gas Keys and I've not heard anything bad about them, if the screws are torqued correctly due to this feature. The staking of keys is a Mil-Spec thing, which if you know, is THE MINIMUM that Military will allow in the TDP. Remember, the Military uses FULL AUTO(Burst) Carbines, so being staked would/should be a requirement IMO.
If you don't have a Full Auto Rifle, and possibly only shoot 200 to 1000 rounds a Year, is staking really needed?
Would Young's or Les Baer deny any Warranty's of you as a Customer, because you stake the Key? Might want to call somebody about this.

Also, this LB Carrier is NOT M16 FA type. It's called an "Enhanced" AR15 Carrier. Full Auto Carriers have the rearward bottom portion same length as top. Nothing wrong with Enhanced AR15 Carriers, but they are different than FA Carriers when seen side/side.

Old 07-08-2013, 10:33 PM   #13

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

I called Les Baer and their gas key IS staked...

Now I'm wondering about where you guys got all the other information from..

I'm just lost. Someone just tell me if its going to be reliable or not..

I'm new to ARs but I'm not new to all firearms and I'll probably put 2-3k rounds through this thing per year...
Should I just say f*ck it and start with a different BCG (and keep this as a backup) or will it e just fine for a long time?

Oh, and I talked to someone at the local gun store. He said there is steel missing from the back because there is more steel up for more surface area where it slides within the receiver (or whatever you call it).

Last edited by DickTheNickhead; 07-08-2013 at 10:48 PM.

Old 07-08-2013, 10:40 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Plug it in and run with it. It'll probably do just fine.

Again, how much did it cost? The concern isn't so much that your BCG will fail. The concern is if you paid a bunch when you could have landed better for far less. I hate to see someone get screwed.

Old 07-08-2013, 10:59 PM   #15

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

http://www.armslist.com/posts/1541124/san-antonio-texas-gun-parts-for-sale--new-les-baer-national-match-chrome-bcg-ar15--

Okay. Read this and tell me if it sounds okay..

Old 07-08-2013, 11:12 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

First off, this BCG will probably operate fine. I would feel I got hosed if I paid $260 for a chromed AR15 BCG, when I could have landed an equal or likely superior M16 (due to multiple factors) for $100 less.

The chromed BCG will be shinier (which can be good or bad depending on your preferences) and a little easier to clean.

But it should perform just fine. Enjoy the hell outta it.

Old 07-08-2013, 11:43 PM   #17

Liked 1000 Times on 703 Posts
Likes Given: 1001

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeper22 View Post
First off, this BCG will probably operate fine. I would feel I got hosed if I paid $260 for a chromed AR15 BCG, when I could have landed an equal or likely superior M16 (due to multiple factors) for $100 less.

The chromed BCG will be shinier (which can be good or bad depending on your preferences) and a little easier to clean.

But it should perform just fine. Enjoy the hell outta it.
This is what I was thinking too. Many of us were trying (in your multiple threads) to steer you to something known to be good and at a good price. This one probably will be ok so just go out and find out. Shoot it to see.

I hope it wasn't too expensive.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 07-09-2013, 12:09 AM   #18

Liked 74 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 35

These was much better Photos than what I saw before.
To the staking. Yes they are staked, but not what many of us have seen on the normal Gas Key, so when you show a side pic, it threw off, what is normally seen.
I think you shouldn't have any problems what-so-ever, but even with the "Best" BCG you can have problems.
GO FOR IT, if you feel this is what you want. It's gonna be PURDY in your Rifle.

Old 07-09-2013, 01:17 AM   #19

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triumphman
These was much better Photos than what I saw before.
To the staking. Yes they are staked, but not what many of us have seen on the normal Gas Key, so when you show a side pic, it threw off, what is normally seen.
I think you shouldn't have any problems what-so-ever, but even with the "Best" BCG you can have problems.
GO FOR IT, if you feel this is what you want. It's gonna be PURDY in your Rifle.
All I know is that I just want something reliable...and chrome (or nickel boron) because I want it to be easier to clean.

But this BCG sounds like its one of the best ones out there...I know there's only one way to find out (drop it in and shoot thousands of rounds) but is it correct to say that this BCG looks like one that is REALLY good?

Last edited by DickTheNickhead; 07-09-2013 at 01:21 AM.

Old 07-09-2013, 01:50 AM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 987 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 71

If your gonna pay the extra money on it then get nickel boron instead of chrome. NiB is 40% harder than chrome and thus should last longer. If you want one from a company that provides specs then get a WMD. I bought one and would not hesitate to buy another.

Here are their specs as I've posted in another thread.....

WMD Guns drop-in Nickle Boron M16 Style Bolt and Carrier Assembly/Group (BCG) is developed to increase reliability and ease of cleaning and maintaining your M16/AR-15 type rifles. The bolt carrier is M16 (full auto) stlye.

Drop-In AR-15 BCGs to increase reliability and ease cleaning and maintenance.
Bolt – Carpenter 158 case hardened, shot peened and magnetic particle inspected. Manufactured to Government drawings. Mil Spec gas rings. NiB-X coated (40% more wear resistant than Chrome).
Extractor – Manufactured, heat treated, hardened, per Government drawings. Black extractor buffer and heavy duty spring. NiB-X coated.
Firing Pin – Manufactured, heat treated, hardened, Chromed and certified per Government drawings.
Carrier – M16 style carrier (heavy weight), 8620 material, heat treated and case hardened. Manufacturing tolerances on inside diameters tightly controlled. NiB-X coated for durability and ease of cleaning.
Gas Key – Hardened to USGI Specifications and attached using grade 8 hardened fasteners. Permatex No. 3D Aviation Form a gasket Type III Sealing Compound per MIL-S-45180 used on assembly. NiB-X coated. Staked per military specifications.
Cam pin – Manufactured, heat treated, hardened and certified per Government drawings. NiB-X Coated.
Hammer - Manufactured, heat treated, hardened and certified per Government drawings. NiB-X Coated.

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334