Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Battle Arms Developments Ambidexterous Safety Selector 45 degree B.A.D.A.S.S.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2012, 06:18 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Default Battle Arms Developments Ambidexterous Safety Selector 45 degree B.A.D.A.S.S.

I've been interested in making a Kommiefornia featureless build for a rifle and been looking at ambidexterous safety after reading very detailed reviews such as this... http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?2748-Battle-Arms-Development-Ambi-Safety-Selector , I decided to make the plunge.

I got this item from ROGtac.com Shipping was insanely fast and I got this item the NEXT DAY. When has that ever happened? THE NEXT DAY. Omgwtfpwn'ed. Did I mention they have a 5% discount for forum members? The deck of tactical playing cards is a nice touch. Thx Mike!

Here's how my lowers look now.

WTH how did that get in there......

I opted for 4 levers, just to play with and review them. I opted for the standard (long & thick), short (thick), long/thin, and the short/thin. In hindsight, I think the hybrid would have been a very nice compromise.

Initial impressions:

Very nice machine work. Fit and finish are top notch, its a very nice piece of kit. If your budget allows I highly recommend it.

Actuation of the 45 degree safety is positive and very very nice. I really like it alot. My personal preference would be to have the regular long on the thumb-side, and long-thin on the opposite side. The short levers are easily reached but due to their length, its hard to get enough torque to actuate them. The short-thin is especially hard to get enough purchase and torque. The long-thin is easy to find and its doesn't get in the way. When I put the the regular long on the opposite side of the thumb (strong side) I found that the lever actually rubbed up against my hand a bit (by the first knuckle on the trigger finger) so putting it on the strong side is annoying. I think that the hybrid lever would be a much better compromise and will be ordering my next ones with them.

I do have to say that the install took some smithing. You will have to grind off this little silver nub:

Which is annoying because it will void all factory warranties. I can only assume that its because standard lowers are marked safe/fire for standard 90 degree levers. There are a few lower recievers specially milled and marked for the BADASS, iirc AXTN, AR15.com, and Spike's Tactical.

Honestly tho, I don't care, it took me all for 30 minutes of pontificating and weighing the pros and cons, 1 minutes to set up the tools and 1 minute of grinding. You must use the supplied detent as I found that the PSA detent was a bit sharper and didn't allow rotation of the lever smoothly. I also had to snip 2 coils off my safety detent spring as it was much too difficult to engage the lever with it. 2 coils off it was just right, nice, tight and positive.

Here is what I really like about them. First, its ambidexterous. I'm a righty, so a standard lever works fine for me, but for this build, I'll be making a featureless which will postion my thumb on the strong side (weird I know) so an ambi lever is a must. Secondly, I really like how much easier it is to put the gun on safe. Flicking the safety off to fire, is always easier. But in order to put the lever to safe mode requires me to shift my grip a little to reach the lever to flick it up. Ergonomically with a standard grip this is much better, and much more intuitive. With a non standard featureless grip, it is also a lot easier and can be done without shifting your grip. I am very interested right now, in getting a hybrid lever for the strong side. Also I believe it will work very well for a featureless build as it will also double as a thumbrest.

I gotta say that I'm really hating the BADASS right now. The more I play with it, the more I want it on all my builds. Its not an inexpensive piece of kit, at $90 bucks it'll be expensive to put on all my ARs. !@#$!%#%!#@$#

Before I can pass final judgement, I really need to take this out and shoot with it. I will be taking a carbine class next weekend, should have about 1k rounds through it, and I will post up some more observations.

Last edited by AgentTikki; 06-18-2012 at 07:56 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-17-2012, 06:52 PM   #2

Liked 136 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki View Post
I will post up some more observations.
:subscribed:

Old 06-17-2012, 07:09 PM   #3

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 25

We talked about the little pin. It was for legal issues. The 45deg took some time to pass legal and the pin was the only way it could be sold. The pin was to keep it from being used in other than lowers designed for the 45deg lever.

I like all of their stuff and they are great people. I really like the feel of the 2 I have. Now that I'm done purchasing ARs I plan on using their selectors on all my ARs.

Old 06-17-2012, 08:25 PM   #4

Liked 949 Times on 671 Posts
Likes Given: 946

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJK View Post
... Now that I'm done purchasing ARs ...
Yeah sure! How many times have we all said that1

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 06-17-2012, 09:33 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin

Yeah sure! How many times have we all said that1
Lol. I actually sold one a week ago and have yet to purchase another. That's a sign

Old 06-17-2012, 09:57 PM   #6

I give ya 2 month tops Mike!

Quite honestly, I've never given the BADass much thought as a standard lever is more than adequate. But now that I've played with it, it does feel as though it'll give a tiny advantage for a competition setup, and a huge advatage when using it with a featureless setup. If the hybrid lever can double as a thumbrest I feel that it will be worth the price premium over a standard ambidexterous lever.

I'm bringing a standard setup to class next week and a featureless.

Old 06-18-2012, 01:32 AM   #7

Liked 949 Times on 671 Posts
Likes Given: 946

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJK View Post
Lol. I actually sold one a week ago and have yet to purchase another. That's a sign
You mean...

... there may...

... be a cure for BRD???

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 06-18-2012, 01:46 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
You mean...

... there may...

... be a cure for BRD???
Boredom. I found my set-up, the set-up that works best for my. Most of the fun comes from experimenting to find what works best.

I have one more I'm thinking of selling. Anyone want a LWRC?

Old 06-18-2012, 02:42 AM   #9

Mike,

Do you think the BADASS is a must have on all your ARs? Which levers are you using?

Old 06-18-2012, 06:06 PM   #10

I like the feel and levers better. I like the ability to go ambi but don't like the fat lever like on your average ambi selector. A must probably not. Cool? Yes.