battery storage
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > battery storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2011, 01:42 AM   #1
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6026 Times on 3157 Posts
Likes Given: 432

Default battery storage

cant stand vertical grips got one a buddy gave me doesnt feel natural and definately not suitable for creating a steady grip. the only thing i have found for battery rail storage that isnt a vertical grip or pistol grip is this:

promag pm-147

are there similar products or is this it??

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-23-2011, 01:48 AM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

There are also stock options from Magpul available with compartment storage. Plus..why are you so concerned with battery storage on your gun, buy an LBE and get some pouches if you think need to carry that much crap around with you all the time.

30_288_popup.jpg   31_807_popup.jpg  

Old 11-23-2011, 01:48 AM   #3

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Magpul makes a replacement grip that has options to house 3 in distress rounds, a replacement bolt head OR battery storage.

AR-15/M16 MIAD™ GRIP CORES - Brownells

I have one for a replacement head and really like it.

JD

Old 11-23-2011, 02:03 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticalPrecision View Post
There are also stock options from Magpul available with compartment storage. Plus..why are you so concerned with battery storage on your gun, buy an LBE and get some pouches if you think need to carry that much crap around with you all the time.
a single cr2 battery for a dot sight isnt a lot of junk plus ive already got a prs stock i reallllly like. this is a hunting gun setup not a shtf combat gun. handy to have spares in the rifle where it can be accessed quickly in a watertight compartment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Magpul makes a replacement grip that has options to house 3 in distress rounds, a replacement bolt head OR battery storage.

AR-15/M16 MIAD™ GRIP CORES - Brownells

I have one for a replacement head and really like it.

JD
im getting a miad for storing firing pin and bolt spare parts trigger parts etc.

thats why im looking at rail storage

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 11-23-2011, 04:12 AM   #5

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
cant stand vertical grips got one a buddy gave me doesnt feel natural and definately not suitable for creating a steady grip. the only thing i have found for battery rail storage that isnt a vertical grip or pistol grip is this:

promag pm-147

are there similar products or is this it??
How are you gripping it? I use vert grips and they make great hand stops which makes for a very solid grip that in turn makes the rifle extremely controllable.

The stock is the best place I've found to store things. The VLTOR stocks have a good amount of storage. The MIAD has storage as well.

Old 11-23-2011, 04:22 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

by the handguard with a sling as a brace if i got time and dont have a rest. most of the time there is a handy tree or vehicle or fence post or going prone. ive never found the foregrip to be useful just snags on stuff. maybe i dunno how to use it.

Old 11-23-2011, 05:29 AM   #7

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I'm sure you're using it correctly as intended but I have found that using more as a hand stop rather grabbing it like a can of soda really changes things for the better. The grip can be wedged up against things as well really making for a sturdy rifle. I have wedged mine against a picnic table (where the grip meets to the rail) table during a 3 gun comp to make nice, quick and accurate shots on distant targets. If you carry your weapon for any length of time the grip can be used to brace the weapon against your gear belt which will take the load off of your arms.

Old 11-23-2011, 05:30 AM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I wear an LBE when I go hunting..maybe its just my need to feel prepared for everything but I carry a decent loadout when I go hunting. I have a bag that my bolt gun sits inside while i'm hiking, carry my AR, and have my sidearm on a drop down, 2 knives over 8" blades, 2 under 8". Medkit, survival stuff in the bag, including about 300 ft of paracord, couple of MREs, fire starting kit, sawvivor, small hatchet, fishing and trapping gear, water filter straw, emergency blankets(4 of them) and around 40 rounds for my bolt gun.

Batteries? not on my list of neccessities to carry. I change them every season and I carry like 9 flashlights that all use lithium batteries, I treat batteries more as one of those I shouldn't need to worry about this things so I change them regularly to avoid needing extras. Never had one go out on me when I needed it. Even my hiking trips when I do pack an extra set of batteries for a couple of my flashlights on the week long or more excursions I generally don't run a set dead, between the fire and actually sleeping at night I don't need them. Having some patio umbrella solar lights that I let charge during the day helps too, I catch some crap for that sometimes but they are less than 1lb and are great if I plan to read some since they can light my whole tent/shelter

Old 11-23-2011, 05:35 AM   #9

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticalPrecision View Post
I wear an LBE when I go hunting..maybe its just my need to feel prepared for everything but I carry a decent loadout when I go hunting. I have a bag that my bolt gun sits inside while i'm hiking, carry my AR, and have my sidearm on a drop down, 2 knives over 8" blades, 2 under 8". Medkit, survival stuff in the bag, including about 300 ft of paracord, couple of MREs, fire starting kit, sawvivor, small hatchet, fishing and trapping gear, water filter straw, emergency blankets(4 of them) and around 40 rounds for my bolt gun.

Batteries? not on my list of neccessities to carry. I change them every season and I carry like 9 flashlights that all use lithium batteries, I treat batteries more as one of those I shouldn't need to worry about this things so I change them regularly to avoid needing extras. Never had one go out on me when I needed it. Even my hiking trips when I do pack an extra set of batteries for a couple of my flashlights on the week long or more excursions I generally don't run a set dead, between the fire and actually sleeping at night I don't need them. Having some patio umbrella solar lights that I let charge during the day helps too, I catch some crap for that sometimes but they are less than 1lb and are great if I plan to read some since they can light my whole tent/shelter
Where the heck do you go that you're that far removed from civilization around here?

Old 11-23-2011, 05:51 AM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

haha, Generally hunting i'm not so far, it's more incase I get stuck somewhere or(god forbid) my dumbass gets lost wandering through the woods while i'm out hunting. It just calms my mind knowing I'm a bit prepared if I do get lost I can make it 2 days easily. Plus I do go out on hiking trips into the ozarks, and have been up to some of the foothills of the appalachians and into the rockies and up in northern PA and you can easily get a day or 2 out from civilization. I carry the same loadout pretty much when I go out hiking just pack a little extra like an actual water filter and 5 days of fire starting stuff instead of 2 and I bring an actual fishing rod instead of just line and hooks.