Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Barrels... (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/barrels-92703/)

DickTheNickhead 06-22-2013 11:16 PM

Looking for a good barrel...

Which companies make some good ones..

I've been looking at some bravo company uppers and had a hard time choosing between their ss410 and their CFH barrels

But who else makes some high quality barrels/uppers?

Sniper03 06-22-2013 11:28 PM

DTN,

It is important to choose a company that has a reputation for good barrels. Just had a guy that had purchased a barrel from a vendor that is relatively new. The barrel was undersized and this created a problem with the Weaver Type Gas block because of the under tolerance and gas was leaking causing the weapon to malfunction due to loss of gas.

There are many companies out there but if you can find out who actually makes their barrels that is the key. I would suggest that you find a company that uses Wilson Arms Barrel Company's Barrels. This is not Wilson Combat it is Wilson Barrel Company of Branford CT. I know for a fact and experience they make some of the finest and most accurate barrels in the industry. I know Rock River Arms, Stag Arms and others use their barrels and a couple of other sources for them are Hilltop Guns Inc. and M&A Parts all of Illinois has them available. You can expect the Wilson Arms 16" barrels to shoot sub MOA groups at 100 and the Varmint and NM Barrels to shoot 1/2 MOA or better. Not to mention Wilson has been building high quality barrels for the industry for years and knows their stuff. All have websites to contact them. Also Stay Safe LLC out of Amarillo Texas carries them and other high quality barrels. Some are the designed exterior models with the cool design cuts on the barrel itself.

kryptar19 06-22-2013 11:34 PM

JMO

Best: Wilson Arms (not Wilson Combat)
Shillen
Accuracy International

Best for price: PSA
Daniel Defense

TexasGunner 06-23-2013 12:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I just bought a Rainier Arms Ultra Match barrel which is made from a Shillen blank. I can't wait to get all of my parts in to get this one put together and shoot it! (14 1/2 - 300 AAC Blackout with Seekins Precision Muzzle Break) Oh by the way Rainier Arms ship incredibly fast if they have it in stock.

Attachment 107139

AgentTikki 06-23-2013 03:57 AM

Precision shooting barrels:

Noveske
Rainer Arms Match or Ultra Match
Black Hole Weaponry
JP Enterprises
Kreiger
Lil'ja
Ar15performance

There are many many more. Hope that helps ya.

JonM 06-23-2013 04:07 AM

In order of quality krieger, white oak, wilson, shilen, fn.

There are damn few actual barrel makers. Companies like noveske, jp black hole bcm etc arent barrel makers they order barrels from the above and then cut the chambers to finish length or order them already made.

Im pretty convinced bcm sources from fn and krieger.

Quentin 06-23-2013 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 1283896)
... Im pretty convinced bcm sources from fn and krieger.

I suspect the same thing, at least FN for their chrome lined barrels. BCM won't disclose their source though but FN makes sense since they're milspec. PSA and Spikes come right out and say their milspec barrels are FN.

Sniper03 06-23-2013 08:45 PM

Gunner,

That is one good looking barrel!

JonM 06-24-2013 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quentin (Post 1284536)
I suspect the same thing, at least FN for their chrome lined barrels. BCM won't disclose their source though but FN makes sense since they're milspec. PSA and Spikes come right out and say their milspec barrels are FN.

Fn is also the only people in the us that have equipment to produce hammer forged barrels as far as im aware

Quentin 06-24-2013 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 1285054)
Fn is also the only people in the us that have equipment to produce hammer forged barrels as far as im aware

Daniel Defense does CHF barrels in house but I can't think of others off hand. No doubt it's rare in the US.