Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Barrell Nut (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/barrell-nut-95471/)

nsin 08-15-2013 02:45 PM

Barrell Nut

I am planning on installing a free float handguard later today. I have a vise block for the lower receiver but not the upper. I'd have to order the upper vise and of course I'm inpatient and don't want to wait to install the guard. Will it hurt the gun if I secure the whole gun with the lower vise block to take the barrel nut off?

SSGN_Doc 08-15-2013 02:52 PM

The lower block will not take distribute the torque the same way as the upper block. A clamshel type is good for the upper. torque specs will be from 30 to 80 ft/lbs.

sniper762 08-15-2013 03:43 PM

a free floating handguard has its own barrel nut incorperated within

TheSadPanda 08-15-2013 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nsin
I am planning on installing a free float handguard later today. I have a vise block for the lower receiver but not the upper. I'd have to order the upper vise and of course I'm inpatient and don't want to wait to install the guard. Will it hurt the gun if I secure the whole gun with the lower vise block to take the barrel nut off?

Theres a very good chance you could eff up your entire gun. Get the upper block or find someone who has it.

ZeusEcho 08-15-2013 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sniper762 (Post 1336179)

Not always the case. I have Centurion C4 and Troy VTAC Alpha Rails that are both free floating and secure to the standard mil spec barrel nut.

monteros 08-16-2013 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nsin (Post 1336144)

Without the proper support, you may very well torque and bend or even crush it laterally and as mentioned above, ruin the gun. Get the right tool, or borrow one. It's just not worth destroying parts imho.

CGS 08-16-2013 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sniper762 (Post 1336179)

Not all have their own proprietary barrel nut, some do. Some utilize the existing mil spec barrel nut.

OP, I would definitely get an upper vise block. Coming from a guy who many years ago trashed an upper receiver thinking I would out smart it.... Get an upper vise block or take it to a competent gun smith.

Argyle_Armoring 08-16-2013 03:51 PM

Not using a clamshell upper block is a great way to jack up your gun.