Barrel Questions
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Barrel Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2013, 03:08 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 42 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Barrel Questions

Looking into buying a BCM mid 16 barrel they have a few stripped barrels in stock I'm going to put it on a DPMS mil spec complete upper what may be some concerns in doing so what if anything will I have to change out the rifle was a carbine length

Work Hard Play Hard

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-14-2013, 03:10 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 565 Times on 339 Posts
Likes Given: 235

They should both be mil-spec so no problems that I see. Do you have all the appropriate tools?

Practice doesn't make perfect, it make permanent.

When I hear a Liberal say "I can speak for gun owners because I own a shotgun" I just want to scream "Well I can speak for vegetarians because I like lettuce on my cheeseburger!"

Old 05-14-2013, 03:12 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fa35jsf View Post
They should both be mil-spec so no problems that I see. Do you have all the appropriate tools?
I have a friend who is a gun Smith who will be doing the work but I was thinking way about the bcg?

Work Hard Play Hard

Old 05-14-2013, 03:18 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 565 Times on 339 Posts
Likes Given: 235

Ah the BCG. I just went through this. BCG's mostly all follow the same specs. My advice would be to read the sticky in the AR forum about selecting an AR-15. Somewhere in there is a section on BCG's.

I will say, the Creakote coating (thats probably not how to spell) is freakin awesome. It is so smooth and cycles great. Costs just a little more.

Practice doesn't make perfect, it make permanent.

When I hear a Liberal say "I can speak for gun owners because I own a shotgun" I just want to scream "Well I can speak for vegetarians because I like lettuce on my cheeseburger!"

Old 05-14-2013, 03:20 AM   #5

Liked 2407 Times on 1409 Posts
Likes Given: 540

The carrier should be fine. But, when I get a new barrel I get a new bolt. You'll need a midlength gas tube. A gas block if it is that stripped. Midlength handguards.

Old 05-14-2013, 03:40 AM   #6

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
The carrier should be fine. But, when I get a new barrel I get a new bolt. You'll need a midlength gas tube. A gas block if it is that stripped. Midlength handguards.
If "mid" means midlength (gas system), THANKS SSGN. If it meant mid weight, no differences from a standard carbine but you will have to know what gas block barrel diameter to use.

Old 05-14-2013, 03:45 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post

If "mid" means midlength (gas system), THANKS SSGN. If it meant mid weight, no differences from a standard carbine but you will have to know what gas block barrel diameter to use.
Mid length gas system is what im trying to get heard good things about it andjuat wanna convert my current rifle to mid length just need to know what I will have to buy to go with the barrel I know gas tube an block but what about barrel extention, barrel nut, delta ring things of this nature can I reuse the parts from my current setup

Work Hard Play Hard

Old 05-14-2013, 02:42 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6024 Times on 3156 Posts
Likes Given: 432

You will need new handguard system as carbine length is too short. Your current barrel attachment hardware will work fine as long as the new handguards utilize the deltaring system.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 05-14-2013, 03:54 PM   #9

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

What JonM sid, plus don't worry about the extention, it's part of the barrel.

Old 05-14-2013, 03:57 PM   #10

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

So you need a middy gas tube, handguards, and mebbe a barrel wrench and snap ring pliers to remove the old delta ring, and of course a barrel with a middy gas port then u are golden.