Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Barrel Questions (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/barrel-questions-90664/)

BigBizz87 05-14-2013 02:08 AM

Barrel Questions

Looking into buying a BCM mid 16 barrel they have a few stripped barrels in stock I'm going to put it on a DPMS mil spec complete upper what may be some concerns in doing so what if anything will I have to change out the rifle was a carbine length

fa35jsf 05-14-2013 02:10 AM

They should both be mil-spec so no problems that I see. Do you have all the appropriate tools?

BigBizz87 05-14-2013 02:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fa35jsf (Post 1246050)
They should both be mil-spec so no problems that I see. Do you have all the appropriate tools?

I have a friend who is a gun Smith who will be doing the work but I was thinking way about the bcg?

fa35jsf 05-14-2013 02:18 AM

Ah the BCG. I just went through this. BCG's mostly all follow the same specs. My advice would be to read the sticky in the AR forum about selecting an AR-15. Somewhere in there is a section on BCG's.

I will say, the Creakote coating (thats probably not how to spell) is freakin awesome. It is so smooth and cycles great. Costs just a little more.

SSGN_Doc 05-14-2013 02:20 AM

The carrier should be fine. But, when I get a new barrel I get a new bolt. You'll need a midlength gas tube. A gas block if it is that stripped. Midlength handguards.

HockaLouis 05-14-2013 02:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc (Post 1246065)
The carrier should be fine. But, when I get a new barrel I get a new bolt. You'll need a midlength gas tube. A gas block if it is that stripped. Midlength handguards.

If "mid" means midlength (gas system), THANKS SSGN. If it meant mid weight, no differences from a standard carbine but you will have to know what gas block barrel diameter to use.

BigBizz87 05-14-2013 02:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HockaLouis (Post 1246083)

If "mid" means midlength (gas system), THANKS SSGN. If it meant mid weight, no differences from a standard carbine but you will have to know what gas block barrel diameter to use.

Mid length gas system is what im trying to get heard good things about it andjuat wanna convert my current rifle to mid length just need to know what I will have to buy to go with the barrel I know gas tube an block but what about barrel extention, barrel nut, delta ring things of this nature can I reuse the parts from my current setup

JonM 05-14-2013 01:42 PM

You will need new handguard system as carbine length is too short. Your current barrel attachment hardware will work fine as long as the new handguards utilize the deltaring system.

AgentTikki 05-14-2013 02:54 PM

What JonM sid, plus don't worry about the extention, it's part of the barrel.

AgentTikki 05-14-2013 02:57 PM

So you need a middy gas tube, handguards, and mebbe a barrel wrench and snap ring pliers to remove the old delta ring, and of course a barrel with a middy gas port then u are golden.