Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > barrel profile

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2010, 01:45 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default barrel profile

why did the heavy barrels become so darn popular ? are they better then a gov't profile barrel ?whats all the fuss about ?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-27-2010, 10:00 PM   #2

Liked 723 Times on 537 Posts
Likes Given: 691

Well the argument is HBARs are slightly more accurate than lighter barrels since they resist flexing more and dissapate heat better. You can get back on target quicker after recoil and they're also less likely to bend when soldiers use them as crowbars or bayonet a brick wall. Anyway, a lot of disagreement here since the old M16's light weight was a good thing, too.

They've been gaining popularity since 1982 when the Marines adopted the M16A2 with a heavy barrel and the Army followed suit and then the civilian market. As far as carbines the lighter M4 profile is very popular but midlengths with HBARs are coming on strong. Don't know exactly when middies were introduced but ArmaLite was the first and now many others are available.

I'd say you have to handle both profiles in the rifle you want and make your decision. It's more personal preference than any huge advantage. I liked a middy better than the carbine gas system so went with the HBAR, which weighs about 8 oz more.

Last edited by Quentin; 04-27-2010 at 10:03 PM.

Old 04-27-2010, 11:04 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4460 Times on 2354 Posts
Likes Given: 255

the original military intent of a heavy m16 barrel was to extend the time a soldier could fire the weapon without overheating.

Old 04-28-2010, 12:48 AM   #4

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3471 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Well, aside from the reasons that have been mentioned:

You have to factor in the penetration of the weapon platform, especially since the first AWB was lifted and then the fear of a second one with The Great Moron being elected.

People that shoot targets for fun and people who hunt the whistle pigs, like our own Son of the Prairie cpttango30, are snapping them up left and right because the weapon is effective, accurate and you can shoot it all day without it overheating.

Couple that with a Challenge that was set forth by Col. Jeff Cooper to ANY semi auto rifle builder to make a 20/20/20 rifle.

20 shots.

In under 20 seconds.

Into a target less than 20 inches in diameter at 1,000 yards.

Dave Lauck was the first AR builder to build a rifle that completed this challenged and raised the bar as to what TRUE AR accuracy is all about.

The civilian AR platform is no longer about the high rate of fire, lightweight, jungle shredding, hand held machine gun that was introduced into Vietnam.

The new AR's are about precision and accuracy and having the ability to engage multiple targets, at multiple ranges and do so without putting the operator in danger.

JD

Old 04-30-2010, 01:53 PM   #5

interesting theories,thanks . i just think there getting heavy to carry . maybe i'm just getting old . i never noticed a huge accuracy differance but i don't shoot enough to overheat one or out to 1000 yards . as usual haveing just one isn't enough .

wrench

Old 04-30-2010, 07:40 PM   #6

Liked 723 Times on 537 Posts
Likes Given: 691

Well that's one of the greatest advantages of the AR-15 or many other rifles, you can easily have it your way! Who cares what other people think/say, get it your way and enjoy it. I sure can't tell you what's best for YOU. Nor you for ME.

I sometimes run into people at the range who look down on my AR that I built KISS style - standard middy handguards, telestock, A4 carry handle and GI sling, etc. Lotta times someone says "when'ya gonna get optics" or "get rid of that cheap stuff"... Anyway, it's great that they are passionate about what they have but that doesn't mean it's best for me.

Old 04-30-2010, 09:43 PM   #7

Ammo dumps! mag after mag

Are you sure it isn't time for a "colourful metaphor"?