Barrel nut wrench question.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Barrel nut wrench question.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2010, 05:15 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Barrel nut wrench question.

I am finally putting the railed upper on my AR that I have always wanted. It already has a floating forearm that I need to remove before I can install the new one.

Question. Is this the right tool to remove the free float nut? It's advertised as a barrel nut wrench, but I thought the barrel nut was splined and the free float nut used the pins.

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson
From the great speaker...er uh Barak Obongo

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-30-2010, 05:30 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5990 Times on 3133 Posts
Likes Given: 427

ive got one of those and it does not work on the nut on my rra free float tube on my 458 socom upper. not all barrel nut patterns are layed out the same.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 12-30-2010 at 05:37 AM.

Old 12-30-2010, 05:36 AM   #3

Liked 39 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Should work. Those knobs should slide into the holes in the nut for the gas tube, and all barrel nuts should have holes that are the same distance from the bore to line up for the gas tube, so I would think all wrenches will work.
As for the pins, I don't know what kind of rail you have, but on my YHM the barrel nut was tightened with just such a wrench and then pins screwed through the tube into the nut to ensure it wouldnt come loose and rotate.
Do you already have the wrench?

"Always carry a small flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite. Furthermore, always carry a small snake." W.C. Fields

Last edited by TheDaggle; 12-30-2010 at 05:39 AM.

Old 12-30-2010, 05:41 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
ive got one of those and it does not work on the nut on my rra free float tube on my 458 socom upper. not all barrel nut patterns are layed out the same.
I bet different manufacturers set their holes at different degrees so that you have to buy a proprietary wrench . I remember thinking that the knobs on my wrench were at awfully weird angles to one another.

"Always carry a small flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite. Furthermore, always carry a small snake." W.C. Fields

Old 12-30-2010, 05:44 AM   #5

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaggle View Post
Should work. Those knobs should slide into the holes in the nut for the gas tube, and all barrel nuts should have holes that are the same distance from the bore to line up for the gas tube, so I would think all wrenches will work.
As for the pins, I don't know what kind of rail you have, but on my YHM the barrel nut was tightened with just such a wrench and then pins screwed through the tube into the nut to ensure it wouldnt come loose and rotate.
Do you already have the wrench?
I have no AR tools. He tube I am taking off is a DPMS and the one I'm installing is a YHM.
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson
From the great speaker...er uh Barak Obongo

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me

Old 12-30-2010, 05:46 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarinCraft View Post
I have no AR tools. He tube I am taking off is a DPMS and the one I'm installing is a YHM.
PM inbound

Old 01-02-2011, 10:20 PM   #7

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

I went through something similar lately. Basically the tool you showed is a basic/emergency type tool used for barrel removal installation. Spend the extra and get the combo tool from Brownells or Midway. It has the spline tool on one end for the barrel nut and the 3 pronged unit you show on the other.