Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > barrel nut question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2014, 08:28 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1460 Times on 1024 Posts
Likes Given: 273

Default barrel nut question

As I have mentioned several times, I am in the process of building a rifle and this is my first upper build. I have everything but the barrel which should be here within the month I hope. The way I understood the correct way to install the barrel was to use anti-seize compound on the threads and to tighten the barrel nut to 30 ft/lbs and then loosen it up and retighten it and repeat that 3 times to allow the barrel to seat correctly. Then to tighten to 35 ft/lbs before going just a little bit farther to align the gas tube holes. The forearm I have is a YHM customable 12" and the instructions say to just tighten the barrel nut hand tight and them enough farther to align the gas tube holes. They don't mention any anti-seize compound or anything else and skip the tighten/loosen thing. I read on another forum that someone questioned them on that and they said it wasn't necessary unless your using a steel barrel nut and their's is aluminum. This is going to be a target rifle so I'm not planning on taking it into battle so the aluminum doesn't bother me. I plan to do it the way I planned to begin with but was just wondering. Is the anti-seize compound not necessary because the barrel nut and receiver are both aluminum and not dissimilar metals? Is the tighten/loosen thing still a good idea?

NRA Endowdment Life Member.....F&AM
Curio and Relics License Holder (FFL 03)

Gun confiscation will not happen in my lifetime.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." C.S. Lewis

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-07-2014, 10:15 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5458 Times on 2850 Posts
Likes Given: 350

Tightening and loosening is only needed once. Its not really needed at all but it does help seat the barrel.

Proper torque is between 30-60ft lbs. Set the wrench to 30 tighten it. Then set it to 60 and align a hole. Proper alignment may not be achievable in such cases its ok to take a dremel and remove a tooth from the nut.

I use anti sieze on all barrel installs regardless of metals. A small tube is like a couple bucks. I take a qtip get some compound and wipe in a line across the threads of the nut. If you over do it, it makes a godsawful mess.

When you are instlling a barrel do not use a upper reciever vice block use a barrel vice block made from hard wood. Upper reciever blocks will damage the upper when your torquing in foot pounds.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 02-07-2014, 10:16 PM   #3

Liked 2075 Times on 1222 Posts
Likes Given: 445

I have that same handguard on one of my rifles. I stil used the anti-seize greese, and still torqued it and released, and retorqued, three times before seating. I think my final torque ended up being about 45 Ft/lbs to get the holes to line up. Haven't had any problems, and been shooting the rifle for over five years now with that handguard.

Old 02-08-2014, 12:17 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Thanks for the advice. I have anti seize at my bench and planned to use anyway and the tighten/loosen thing couldn't hurt so why not. I will have to check on the wooden barrel vice block. I have a upper receiver block but not one of those. I would guess it would have match the contour of the barrel.

Sent from my SCH-I925 using Firearms Talk mobile app

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." C.S. Lewis

Old 02-08-2014, 12:24 AM   #5

Liked 2075 Times on 1222 Posts
Likes Given: 445

Quote:
Originally Posted by string1946 View Post
Thanks for the advice. I have anti seize at my bench and planned to use anyway and the tighten/loosen thing couldn't hurt so why not. I will have to check on the wooden barrel vice block. I have a upper receiver block but not one of those. I would guess it would have match the contour of the barrel.

It doesn't have to match contour exactly. I have an aluminum barrel vice block. I use a couple thicknesses of bicycle innertube that have been glued together on either side and lay them in the barrel channels before tightening the vice.

Old 02-08-2014, 12:56 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
It doesn't have to match contour exactly. I have an aluminum barrel vice block. I use a couple thicknesses of bicycle innertube that have been glued together on either side and lay them in the barrel channels before tightening the vice.
I have been reading a little about them and how make one. Pretty much two hardwood blocks drilled either 1/16 to 1/32 less than barrel OD. My drill press should make that pretty easy. Also some use friction tape and some rosin to help with the grip. Guess I need to find a video of one being used.

Old 02-08-2014, 01:34 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by string1946 View Post
I have been reading a little about them and how make one. Pretty much two hardwood blocks drilled either 1/16 to 1/32 less than barrel OD. My drill press should make that pretty easy. Also some use friction tape and some rosin to help with the grip. Guess I need to find a video of one being used.

i would go half the diameter of the barrel. rosin really helps. i degrease the section to be clamped.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 02-08-2014, 02:14 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
i would go half the diameter of the barrel. rosin really helps. i degrease the section to be clamped.
Makes sense to me. The barrel is .936 at the gas block. Sounds like 1/2" would be about right. Also what I read said to squeeze the crap out of it. You won't hurt the barrel as the wood gives way before you hurt the barrel. Just squeeze till you hear wood cracking. Sounds a little excessive to me.

Old 02-08-2014, 04:48 AM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

That's correct. You can't hurt it with wood blocks. They will come apart long before anything happens to the barrel.

When I was getting the wife's savage apart the first time I had it cranked with enough force to withstand 150+ftlbs of torque. Savage waaaaaaaay over tightened that nut. When I got the gun torqued correctly it went from 5moa to .25moa. I eventually had to cut the nut off.

Oak is a great wood for blocks. If the barrel is inline with the grain its probably going to split the wood.

Old 02-08-2014, 01:51 PM   #10

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Jon, You have me a bit perplexed, block the barrel and torque the nut against an unsupported upper receiver? It would seem to me the steel nut upon contacting the aluminum receiver would transfer the torque and the index pin would be the only thing to keep the receiver from turning. I hope I am not confusing everyone, using a clam shell vise supports the receiver, the barrel does not need support, torque is then applied to a solid point. I have installed/removed 100 + barrels with a receiver vise without incident but never contemplated leaving the receiver just hanging. Get my brain back on track expanding your method as I am always looking for "a better mousetrap".