Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > barrel lengths

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2009, 05:09 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 208 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 289

Default barrel lengths

I know that I have been asking a lot of questions, but I am curious as to what you all like. I am curious what you all think is the best barrel length for a all around rifle. I want to be able to hunt accurately and still be able to clear a room or house with my rifle. I am wanting something that is accurate and yet still easily maneuvered in tight places. Is there magic length that can do everything that I wanting? Can I do everything that I want to do and not have to buy to separate uppers. Thanks guys and gals. I know I am a pain, but I really think that the people here are a untapped knowledge base for me to break into. Thanks again for all the help.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-07-2009, 06:35 PM   #2

You mentioned "uppers". Are you asking about the barrel lenght for an AR?

I confess that I have no desire to confess.

Old 10-07-2009, 06:39 PM   #3

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I went with the DPMS Lo Pro. 16" bull barrel and a flatop receiver. Your preference echoes mine. The only drawback is the additional weight. I can install a 3X9 scope to hunt with, or change out the riser and scope for an iron sight riser, flip up my gas block mounted FS, snap up my tactical sling and go to work close in. Works for me.

Old 10-07-2009, 06:46 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by crockett007 View Post
I went with the DPMS Lo Pro. 16" bull barrel and a flatop receiver. Your preference echoes mine. The only drawback is the additional weight. I can install a 3X9 scope to hunt with, or change out the riser and scope for an iron sight riser, flip up my gas block mounted FS, snap up my tactical sling and go to work close in. Works for me.
What he said!

SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS

Don't blame the tool, blame the fool.

Old 10-07-2009, 09:43 PM   #5

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyChadwell View Post
I want to be able to hunt accurately and still be able to clear a room or house with my rifle. I am wanting something that is accurate and yet still easily maneuvered in tight places. Is there magic length that can do everything that I wanting? Can I do everything that I want to do and not have to buy to separate uppers.
Define for me please: YOUR level of accuracy?

If you are talking minute of bad guy, able to hit the 8" pie plate that a hunter needs at 150 or 200 yards, and still be able to go room to room ( ) to clear a hypothetical house - A 16" barrel would probably be fine.

If you want tighter groups, you have to get a better barrel, a longer barrel, a combination of the above, or you have to factor in other issues into the build itself.

Example: A pencil thin 16" GI Chrome barrel is not going to be as accurate as a bull barrel, Krieger Custom that is 16".

There are a lot of variables when you start talking "accuracy" - because it's all relative to what your definition of an accurate weapon is.

Help us help you.

JD

Old 10-08-2009, 02:39 AM   #6

I have a bull barrel now and the weight is way too much for me to be packing around in the woods for any long period of time.

For me, accuracy means at least 1.5-2.0 inches at 100 yards. I want to be able to put a red dot on for (hopefully) 3 gun matches then put on my 3-9 or 3-12 for hunting.

Does that help any?

Thanks again.

Old 10-08-2009, 07:41 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2550 Times on 1338 Posts
Likes Given: 192

It depends on the barrel. I have a Colt 16" "pencil barrel" that will shoot 3/4" 100 yard groups with the right load. I have a heavy barreled 20" that will shoot 1/2" or better at the same distance. I have found the sweet load for each. This load may not shoot nearly as well in a 16" bull barrel, it all depends.

FWIW, a decent 16" half heavy chrome lined barrel will suffice for most work. If you are shooting prairie dogs at 300 yds, you need something a bit more specialized than that.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 10-08-2009, 07:46 PM   #8

I missed your response. Thanks to Robo for answering and bumping you back up on the new post list.

Have you thought about having your existing barrel fluted to save on weight?

You already know how it shoots. Shave off a little weight and you are right were you want to be.

Probably cheaper than getting a new barrel, having it chambered and starting over in ammo selection again....

Old 10-08-2009, 10:08 PM   #9

I talked to a gunsmith today about shaving some off of my barrel all around. I was thinking about just having the barrel put on a lathe and have a lot of the barrel taken off. This gunsmith told me that if I were to do something like that, it may hurt my accuracy and may make any stresses in my barrel more elevated because I am taking the back bone out of my barrel.

This particular gunsmith told me that as long as I got a barrel that said "mil-spec" on it, I would have no chamber issues with the barrel and my reciever. I am going to go to Knob Creek's machine gun shoot this Saturday and see if maybe I can find a decent deal on a good barrel. He said that he would change the barrel for a reasonable price and then after I sell my Hoyt bow I can buy a new reciever and have my barrel put on that new reciever.

What do you guys think about the information that I got from the gunsmith today. Do you think that I could have a good barrel put on my reciever where I could get the results that I am looking for? Do any of you guys that live around Knob Creek think that I may be able to find a good deal on barrels at the machine gun shoot this weekend?

As always, thanks for all the help guys.

Old 10-08-2009, 10:26 PM   #10

Why are you going to pay a guy do something you can do yourself in just an hour or so??

Junho - one of the members here, had no AR experience and built his first one from the ground up.

If you find a barrel - you can change it yourself.

Or you can have your barrel fluted and save weight that way.

I wouldn't recommend turning your barrel on a lathe and taking off a lot of weight that way either. A little weight, sure, but not a lot of weight.

Good luck at the shoot.

JD