Barrel Length vs. Gas System Options - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Barrel Length vs. Gas System Options

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2011, 05:10 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
I'm going to start saving for either a 1-4 or ? for the .300 blk on order. The size of the 1-4 is ideal but not sure its enough for hunting. Ive never hunted anything but birds so I'm clueless.
I have a 2-7 on my mauser and its pretty good for stuff under 200. and i think my 30-30 has a 1-4 or 3-9 i cant remember. just depends on how long of a shot your lookin at there in Wichita

"Which is heavier a soldiers pack or a slaves chains" Napoleon
"We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."Thomas Jefferson
"You know why there's a Second Amendment? In case the government fails to follow the first one."
-- Rush Limbaugh, in a moment of unaccustomed profundity
"No combat-ready unit ever passed inspection, and no inspection-ready unit ever passed combat."

Old 01-16-2011, 05:13 PM   #22

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Im told 200yds and in for deer but mostly around 100yds. Id also like to do some hog hunting as well.

Old 01-16-2011, 07:44 PM   #23

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

I've gotten used to 200 yds with a 1x optic, so maybe I will check out those La Rue mounts and throw on the Monarch.

I saw an ad for Wilson Combat that had many of the "specialty" mounts and adapters that La Rue carries.

Old 01-16-2011, 08:13 PM   #24

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
Im told 200yds and in for deer but mostly around 100yds. Id also like to do some hog hunting as well.
that sounds about right. i dunno i think i would go with something a lil higher power then 1-4 thats just me tho. i really like my 2-7 thats on the mauser and i picked it up for about 150 at a guns show. scope cost more then the gun but not buy much lol.

I would also like to get into some hog hunting would be fun and i love bacon lol.

"Which is heavier a soldiers pack or a slaves chains" Napoleon
"We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."Thomas Jefferson
"You know why there's a Second Amendment? In case the government fails to follow the first one."
-- Rush Limbaugh, in a moment of unaccustomed profundity
"No combat-ready unit ever passed inspection, and no inspection-ready unit ever passed combat."

Old 01-16-2011, 09:44 PM   #25

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Hogs would be fun do to the simple fact theres a chase of them attacking you. Sounds a lot more fun than hunting most other non two legged animals.

Old 01-18-2011, 06:50 AM   #26

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Default Back . . .

Back to the topic. . .

The reason a shooter might ask this question is (as previously discussed) to determine the gas system and barrel length combination that would allow minimal recoil, while still harvesting enough gas to create a strong, reliable, COMPLETE bolt cycle.

We all know that 14.5" uppers w/ mid-length gas are reliable and functional. . . ? Right? with an approximate 9" gas block/tube length from barrel to upper, a 14.5" barrel would have ~5.5" of bullet travel beyond the port that is harnessing gas for that length and time of travel.

The rifle length gas system is about 12" in length. When paired with an 18" barrel, that combo would provide .5" more barrel, resulting in ever so little more time that the gas port could harness pressure to cycle the bolt.

SO. . . what you'd have is an upper with a longer sight radius, mild recoil (similar to that of the 14.5" middy) and plenty of time to harvest gas (pressure). Throw in a SS match grade barrel at close to 40 oz and you get perfection balance for a target gun that can get off fast, accurate follow up shots!

Can't Wait!