Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Barrel Length vs. Gas System Options

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2011, 01:38 AM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5306 Times on 2772 Posts
Likes Given: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggsbakes View Post
Yeah that was truly rocket science. . . Does anyone have experience with an 18" barrel/rifle length AR set up?
No need to get snarky, you prolly won't find a rifle length gastube on a short barrel there won't be much if any room for the gas block. You would need to have a custom barrel made.

Midlength would work very well. It is just as smooth as full. I've fired a few.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-16-2011, 01:38 AM   #12

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I had a 18" WOA SPR profile that was rifle length. It shot nice.

55gr.

Old 01-16-2011, 02:03 AM   #13

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
I had a 18" WOA SPR profile that was rifle length. It shot nice.

Now that's what I'm talking about! I'm looking into this one:

White Oak Armament SPECIAL PURPOSE RIFLE (SPR) Match Barrel

This SPR .223mm barrel is the product of the Army's Squad Designated Marksman Rifle Development Program, which was assigned the task of improving the accuracy of the standard issue rifle against targets out to 600 meters. This would allow the valued marksman or sniper the ability to stay concealed within the squad by carrying a weapon that looked similar to the rest. It was found that by carrying a dissimilar rifle, he had become an easily recognizable high-priority target. We offer this barrel to the tactical user or casual shooter interested in the ability hit distant targets with issued or mag length ammunition.

· 18 inch 1-7 twist Match Grade Stainless Steel barrel
· Chambered to give excellent performance and reliability with a wide variety of ammo
· Light weight contour ( total weight of 41 ounces )
· 1/2x28 threaded muzzle to accept standard .223 flash hider or muzzle brake
· Choice of Rifle or Mid-Length gas system
· Choice of Standard or M-4 Ramped Barrel extensions

5sprr SPR Barrel w/ Rifle Length Gas $265.00
5sprm SPR Barrel w/ Mid-Length Gas $265.0
spr_barrel.jpg  

Old 01-16-2011, 02:16 AM   #14

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

We have been recommending White Oak for a couple of years now for accurate, varmint and "sniper support" style AR's. They are a great barrel, a very good company to deal with and their prices won't put you in the bread line.

I can recommend them without question for anyone who is building, or wanting to build, an accurate AR and can spend a few extra dollars on a really good barrel to complete the platform before optics.

JD

Old 01-16-2011, 02:19 AM   #15

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Yeah that was truly rocket science. . . Does anyone have experience with an 18" barrel/rifle length AR set up?
I got an 18" Upper from Larue and slapped it on a lower I built and it shoots dimes all day long with factory ammo. Than again, it wasn't cheap.

I'd post some gun pr0n, but I know how Lon feels about Larue and I don't want him drooling and ruining another keyboard.

JD

Old 01-16-2011, 03:14 AM   #16

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Id like to try a 16"-16.5" w/ rifle length gas system out of curiosity.
My shooting partner's JP is a 16" with a mid length gas tube. It is a dream to use.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 01-16-2011, 03:52 AM   #17

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Yeah, I'm really glad ya'll turn folks to White Oak. After first hearing of them here, I've spoke to some of the owners of the range and shop I frequent and they say the same. Shouldn't be more than a couple weeks before I have a range report.

The only thing is I only have one decent scope that's not in use. A Nikon Monarch 2.5-10 x 44mm. It's great and all, but I don't know if it'll be AR appropriate, unless I have an open style red-dot up top or something of the like? Of course I'm gonna try it out.

Old 01-16-2011, 02:36 PM   #18

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
My shooting partner's JP is a 16" with a mid length gas tube. It is a dream to use.
Middys are nice.

Quote:
Yeah, I'm really glad ya'll turn folks to White Oak. After first hearing of them here, I've spoke to some of the owners of the range and shop I frequent and they say the same. Shouldn't be more than a couple weeks before I have a range report.

The only thing is I only have one decent scope that's not in use. A Nikon Monarch 2.5-10 x 44mm. It's great and all, but I don't know if it'll be AR appropriate, unless I have an open style red-dot up top or something of the like? Of course I'm gonna try it out.
Whats wrong w/ that? I battled the, "must have BUIS and an offset RD," then came to the realization that the rifle is for range use so WTH

Old 01-16-2011, 03:34 PM   #19

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Whats wrong w/ that? I battled the, "must have BUIS and an offset RD," then came to the realization that the rifle is for range use so WTH
'Cause I've battled it as well and determined that I DO like BUIS and want them on all rifles w/ optics. AR or not.

Old 01-16-2011, 03:50 PM   #20

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Then go w/ a 1.93 Larue mount. Theres another version but I cant think of the name at this time. I think its a 1.75 or something similar. The 1.93 will give you plenty of clearance but I think it changes your cheek weld a little. The next size shorter is a tight squeeze for gen 1 MBUS. The gen 2 and other brands should be fine.

I'm going to start saving for either a 1-4 or ? for the .300 blk on order. The size of the 1-4 is ideal but not sure its enough for hunting. Ive never hunted anything but birds so I'm clueless.