Barrel Length 5.56

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Barrel Length 5.56

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2011, 07:38 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Barrel Length 5.56

I'm pretty sure I want to get a 14.5" with the permanently attached flash suppresser making it a 16" barrel, but is there a big difference on performance of the 5.56 round if you use a 14.5" vs a 16" barrel? Does anyone know the length that powder is used up in for the 5.56 round? I wanted the 14.5 because the flash suppresser is permanent and I worry about it falling off or getting loose. I plan on using the gun for SHTF Zombies and home defense, but mostly target practice.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-28-2011, 07:47 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9171 Times on 3959 Posts
Likes Given: 1436

The Effects Of Reducing The Barrel Length On Velocity And Accuracy In The 223 Remington

Depends on which powder

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 10-28-2011, 07:47 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhaleNoises View Post
I'm pretty sure I want to get a 14.5" with the permanently attached flash suppresser making it a 16" barrel, but is there a big difference on performance of the 5.56 round if you use a 14.5" vs a 16" barrel? Does anyone know the length that powder is used up in for the 5.56 round?
I don't positively know what the length is, but I'm certain it's longer than both 14.5 and 16 because the velocity increases in barrel lengths all the way up to 24 inch, not sure past that though.

Quote:
I wanted the 14.5 because the flash suppresser is permanent and I worry about it falling off or getting loose. I plan on using the gun for SHTF Zombies and home defense, but mostly target practice.
If it's installed correctly, it's not going anywhere, but if you're that worried about it just take it to a machine shop and have them put a small tac weld on it.

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 10-28-2011, 07:51 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
That's pretty impressive that they're still getting 2800 FPS out of a 10 inch barrel. Never would have guessed that.

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 10-28-2011, 08:51 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5802 Times on 3029 Posts
Likes Given: 397

under 200 yards it doesnt matter much. but above that it starts to behave more like a 22magnum. its the root cause of people complaining about lack of punch in the 556. its a capable round out of a 20" barrel but less than that it starts to degrade in terminal effect greatly.

so if your wanting a shtf. your pretty much shooting yourself in the foot going 14.5 then tacking on another 2inches to be legal. better to just go 16 for the extra 2 inches of barrel your gonna have to have anyway.

now, if you SBR it pay the tax to batfe then you can utilize the avantages of a short barrel rifle.

personally i wouldnt bother doing what your thinking about.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 10-28-2011, 09:27 PM   #6

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

The reason for the shorter barrel is weight. Have you heard the saying "Ounces equals pounds.". I'm only 5'6" weigh just under 140, and if I'm using it during a SHTF scenario I will most likely be carring it all the time.

Old 10-28-2011, 09:38 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5802 Times on 3029 Posts
Likes Given: 397

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhaleNoises View Post
The reason for the shorter barrel is weight. Have you heard the saying "Ounces equals pounds.". I'm only 5'6" weigh just under 140, and if I'm using it during a SHTF scenario I will most likely be carring it all the time.
yes but your adding the weight right back.

brakes and hiders that extend the barrel back to 16" tend to weigh more than the metal that was removed.

if your goal is that you might consider going registered SBR if its legal in your state

just my opinion. you can do what ya want.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 10-28-2011, 09:49 PM   #8

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Sorry I wasn't clear enough. Both of the barrels I'm contemplating will have flash hiders of the same length. So if you want to get technical its a debate of a 16" vs. a 17.5" barrel (counting the flash hider), with the 16" being permanently attached.

Old 10-28-2011, 09:51 PM   #9

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Yes but a 16" barrel plus a F/H is longer than a 14.5" barrel w/ a perm attached muzzle devise that equals 16". So you are saving a little weight and length at the most critical point, the end of the fulcrum. It makes for a slightly more maneuverable rifle. And I must say the shorter length looks cool/better.

Old 10-28-2011, 10:35 PM   #10

Liked 728 Times on 505 Posts
Likes Given: 758

In a SHTF senerio, if your shooting back, the bad guys already know where you are. A flash hider will only make it difficult to pin point you within a few feet in low light. They also work better w/ a longer barrel. Here is an example. Fire an M44 in low light and watch the fireball, then fire the same ammo in a 91/30 and you will see a dramatic reduction if any. I use to use my DCM w/ a 20" barrel for Coyotes at night. No muzzle flash to speak of, my CZ527 w/ a 23.75" barrel does not effect your vision when fired and no flash is visible when looking through the scope. Muzzle flash severely effects your vision in low light. I would opt for range (longer barrel) as you will not lose mobility or gain substantial weight w/ an 18 or 20" barrel.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.