Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Barrel Length 5.56 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/barrel-length-5-56-a-50739/)

WhaleNoises 10-28-2011 07:38 PM

Barrel Length 5.56

I'm pretty sure I want to get a 14.5" with the permanently attached flash suppresser making it a 16" barrel, but is there a big difference on performance of the 5.56 round if you use a 14.5" vs a 16" barrel? Does anyone know the length that powder is used up in for the 5.56 round? I wanted the 14.5 because the flash suppresser is permanent and I worry about it falling off or getting loose. I plan on using the gun for SHTF Zombies and home defense, but mostly target practice.

c3shooter 10-28-2011 07:47 PM

The Effects Of Reducing The Barrel Length On Velocity And Accuracy In The 223 Remington

Depends on which powder

FCross7 10-28-2011 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhaleNoises (Post 613353)
I'm pretty sure I want to get a 14.5" with the permanently attached flash suppresser making it a 16" barrel, but is there a big difference on performance of the 5.56 round if you use a 14.5" vs a 16" barrel? Does anyone know the length that powder is used up in for the 5.56 round?

I don't positively know what the length is, but I'm certain it's longer than both 14.5 and 16 because the velocity increases in barrel lengths all the way up to 24 inch, not sure past that though.

Quote:

I wanted the 14.5 because the flash suppresser is permanent and I worry about it falling off or getting loose. I plan on using the gun for SHTF Zombies and home defense, but mostly target practice.
If it's installed correctly, it's not going anywhere, but if you're that worried about it just take it to a machine shop and have them put a small tac weld on it.

-Fred

FCross7 10-28-2011 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 613363)

That's pretty impressive that they're still getting 2800 FPS out of a 10 inch barrel. Never would have guessed that.

-Fred

JonM 10-28-2011 08:51 PM

under 200 yards it doesnt matter much. but above that it starts to behave more like a 22magnum. its the root cause of people complaining about lack of punch in the 556. its a capable round out of a 20" barrel but less than that it starts to degrade in terminal effect greatly.

so if your wanting a shtf. your pretty much shooting yourself in the foot going 14.5 then tacking on another 2inches to be legal. better to just go 16 for the extra 2 inches of barrel your gonna have to have anyway.

now, if you SBR it pay the tax to batfe then you can utilize the avantages of a short barrel rifle.

personally i wouldnt bother doing what your thinking about.

WhaleNoises 10-28-2011 09:27 PM

The reason for the shorter barrel is weight. Have you heard the saying "Ounces equals pounds.". I'm only 5'6" weigh just under 140, and if I'm using it during a SHTF scenario I will most likely be carring it all the time.

JonM 10-28-2011 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhaleNoises (Post 613457)
The reason for the shorter barrel is weight. Have you heard the saying "Ounces equals pounds.". I'm only 5'6" weigh just under 140, and if I'm using it during a SHTF scenario I will most likely be carring it all the time.

yes but your adding the weight right back.

brakes and hiders that extend the barrel back to 16" tend to weigh more than the metal that was removed.

if your goal is that you might consider going registered SBR if its legal in your state

just my opinion. you can do what ya want.

WhaleNoises 10-28-2011 09:49 PM

Sorry I wasn't clear enough. Both of the barrels I'm contemplating will have flash hiders of the same length. So if you want to get technical its a debate of a 16" vs. a 17.5" barrel (counting the flash hider), with the 16" being permanently attached.

mjkeat 10-28-2011 09:51 PM

Yes but a 16" barrel plus a F/H is longer than a 14.5" barrel w/ a perm attached muzzle devise that equals 16". So you are saving a little weight and length at the most critical point, the end of the fulcrum. It makes for a slightly more maneuverable rifle. And I must say the shorter length looks cool/better.

jpattersonnh 10-28-2011 10:35 PM

In a SHTF senerio, if your shooting back, the bad guys already know where you are. A flash hider will only make it difficult to pin point you within a few feet in low light. They also work better w/ a longer barrel. Here is an example. Fire an M44 in low light and watch the fireball, then fire the same ammo in a 91/30 and you will see a dramatic reduction if any. I use to use my DCM w/ a 20" barrel for Coyotes at night. No muzzle flash to speak of, my CZ527 w/ a 23.75" barrel does not effect your vision when fired and no flash is visible when looking through the scope. Muzzle flash severely effects your vision in low light. I would opt for range (longer barrel) as you will not lose mobility or gain substantial weight w/ an 18 or 20" barrel.