Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Barrel ideas on my new ar (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/barrel-ideas-my-new-ar-23141/)

SeanTLog 02-07-2010 08:46 PM

Barrel ideas on my new ar

i am building a new ar so far i have decided on a
vltor upper
s&w m&p lower
young bcg
magpul stock
yhm handgaurd
But im lost on a barrel i want a good barrel but i dont really want to spend 400 bucks on one i saw that yhm had some and another company called D.E.Z. but i cant find anything about them so if anyone has any opinion id love to hear it on the barrel or the build

Dillinger 02-07-2010 11:30 PM

What kind of barrel are you looking for? What is your ideal application? What round, what bullet weight, what range(s)? How many rounds a year will you shoot? Is this a SHTF weapon, or a Varmint, long range encounter weapon?

All of these will help us help you decide on a barrel.

JD

hillmillenia 02-07-2010 11:36 PM

If you are looking for a barrel and receiver bolted together 400 bucks is about it. BCM, Danield defense, LMT I guess are the top guys (not to mention Colt) I have seen some pretty good deals on Gunbroker from time to time. For my current build I opted for a Bushmaster Superlight barrel and an A1 type upper receiver with the old style rear sight. Of course this negates the plethora of optics available unless I want to mount on top of the handle. But hell, I've got a couple of M4 types and I wanted an old-style, semi-retro and light weight knock-about. I hear so much negativity about Bushmaster these days and years ago I used to build alot of AR-types when they were Quality parts and never had a problem. Bottom line is...the barrel is the priciest part of your build and you don't want to skimp. Good luck with your project!

Hill

SeanTLog 02-08-2010 02:39 AM

im lookin to shoot alot around 200 and 300 yards probly not much past that it will be an all around gun though i was lookin at the yhm fluted h-bar but i dont know anything about yhms barrels as far as ammunition and i will shoot whatever the barrel likes

hillmillenia 02-08-2010 08:26 PM

I'll bet the YHM is a good barrel...check the Daniel Defense M4 barrel at Brownell's or BCM, a very good deal deal on a quality piece.

Dillinger 02-08-2010 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeanTLog (Post 226383)
im lookin to shoot alot around 200 and 300 yards probly not much past that it will be an all around gun though i was lookin at the yhm fluted h-bar but i dont know anything about yhms barrels as far as ammunition and i will shoot whatever the barrel likes

Well, just about any AR barrel will shoot decently at 200 or 300 yards if the shooter does his/her part.

The question then becomes, are you trying to hit man sized targets at that range? Or are you trying to hit ground hogs at that range?

YHM makes very good stuff and we rarely, if ever, have had a problem with any of their stuff fitting or performing as advertised. Their barrels are good, bordering on very good, but they aren't cut rifled competition uber barrels, so know what you are buying and what you are buying for prior to purchase.

JD

hillmillenia 02-08-2010 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillinger (Post 226860)
Well, just about any AR barrel will shoot decently at 200 or 300 yards if the shooter does his/her part.

The question then becomes, are you trying to hit man sized targets at that range? Or are you trying to hit ground hogs at that range?

Yeah or the broad side of a barn...:D

willfully armed 02-09-2010 02:11 AM

White Oak Armament POB 74 **Carlock, IL ** *****61725***** (309) 376-2288 *********************** It think their SPR is best choice

Krieger DCM & AR-15

these are some of the best you can get

SeanTLog 02-10-2010 12:13 AM

Thanks for the info i think im gonna give a company called D.E.Z. a chance these are hand lapped barrels for less than 200 bucks if it turns out no good yall can give me an i told ya so but im hopin this think will group like a champ

SirGeorgeKillian 02-10-2010 01:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeanTLog (Post 226167)
i am building a new ar so far i have decided on a
vltor upper
s&w m&p lower
young bcg
magpul stock
yhm handgaurd
But im lost on a barrel i want a good barrel but i dont really want to spend 400 bucks on one i saw that yhm had some and another company called D.E.Z. but i cant find anything about them so if anyone has any opinion id love to hear it on the barrel or the build

Can I ask if you have wrote a Statement of Need for this build? I recommend doing such for anyone doing a build or buying a new rifle for that matter especially when the build is of the AR-15 nature. There are many options and a simple SON will help you buy what you need the first time instead of building a custom rifle that you later have to "customize" to suit your need, which during a build could have been done once the first time. Before you start buying up parts, ask yourself a few questions.
What is the average range this will be shot at?
What is the furthest?
What is your acceptable level of accuracy at said distances?
Will this be a bench gun or will weight be a consideration?

Answering these questions will help prevent you from spending money on stuff you end up not needing after all, and will help your build be something that you will be much happier with. It in its self will help you consider weight, if floating barrels are needed, which optics are required, if there is a need for BUIS, and if any of the components selected are "inappropriate"