Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Barrel Extension?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2011, 05:14 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Barrel Extension?

Hi, My name is Woody, (Entire room responds "Hi Woody")..... I am a South Paw.....

I know I know, admitting you have a problem is the first step to a cure.

Anyway, I am building a Bull Barrel Hog Ass Kicker. Have a Barrel in mind, But I am wondering how difficult or what are the steps to change out the barrel extension for one that is Ambidextrous like the one Stag Arms offers? So I can use their left hand upper. Not bothered by the shell crossing my face on this one as I plan to be using a scope and closing my right eye so I don'r NEED to build a Lefty just make one for me only.

Can anybody provide the instructions and or link to some detailed instruction for this (with Pics).

Thanks,

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-22-2011, 06:01 PM   #2

Liked 941 Times on 666 Posts
Likes Given: 925

I've never installed a barrel extension on a barrel but know enough that I'd be reluctant to attempt it. And then throwing in a left handed version, well I can see problems brewing.

I'll back off now since I don't have first hand experience and others here like JD do so can help you sort out the technical side. I guess my advice would be if you really don't need a lefty, then maybe it makes more sense staying with the normal ejection side, especially if there is any chance down the road you may want to sell the upper (you'll never get your money out of it).

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 03-22-2011, 06:47 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5269 Times on 2747 Posts
Likes Given: 333

i dont think there is a left or right extension. i know that the extension can be machined a little to help sticky bolts which is prolly where taht idea comes from. i would just put the rifle together if it has issues then worry about it. i do know the real issue is finding a left hand BCG and bolt. put it together and if it has issues at that point a smith can fix any stickiness.

barrel extensions require very specific tools that will allow the extension to be indexed to the gas port. the next step would be to head space the chamber usually requires more specialized tools and a person who knows what theya re doing with em.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 03-22-2011, 06:59 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
i dont think there is a left or right extension. i know that the extension can be machined a little to help sticky bolts which is prolly where taht idea comes from. i would just put the rifle together if it has issues then worry about it. i do know the real issue is finding a left hand BCG and bolt. put it together and if it has issues at that point a smith can fix any stickiness.

barrel extensions require very specific tools that will allow the extension to be indexed to the gas port. the next step would be to head space the chamber usually requires more specialized tools and a person who knows what theya re doing with em.
For one thing you are correct, there is no such thing as a LEFT handed extension. BUT there is a Ambi Extension that has the bolt locking lugs eased on BOTH sides not just the right. And finding a Lefty BCG is not as difficult as you might think.

And I am not the kind of guy who likes to "Worry about it later" I will either build a lefty or not. I know about the extension wrenches and sockets. Not worried about buying a couple new tools. Just want to know the steps involved.

Old 03-22-2011, 07:30 PM   #5

Never mind, I just confirmed my theory of how they are mounted. The Extension is mounted PRIOR to the gas port being drilled. That way they can be exactly indexed on each other.

Old 03-22-2011, 07:44 PM   #6
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2195 Times on 1097 Posts
Likes Given: 1123

Woody

You are correct! Forget changing the barrel extension. Also takes a special socket and 150+ Ft. Lbs of torque. Not to mention the index pin is located precisely with the front sight being drilled in alignment with the Index. It would be like winning the lottery since the threads would have to have the exact lead and all! Sorry but you also answered your own question! Ain't happening. Buy a barrel complete with barrel extension and index. I am sure you have seen ARs where the rear sight aperture was clear over against the side of the rear sight housing. Most of the time it is either a misaligned index pin and or improperly located and drilled front sight housing.

Old 03-22-2011, 07:53 PM   #7

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Damn glad Sniper03 was here because I didn't have an exact answer for you Woody. It's not something that has ever come up.

Thanks 03!

JD

Old 03-22-2011, 11:49 PM   #8

Liked 941 Times on 666 Posts
Likes Given: 925

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar Little
Come at the king, you best not miss.
Great quote, great signature, JD! Loved The Wire...

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 03-24-2011, 03:34 AM   #9

Default A first

Quentin and Dillinger befuddled?......write it down boys and girls.

NRA Member
Sustaining Member Southern Poverty Law Center
"Lighten Up Francis"
Semper gero sub gero

Old 03-24-2011, 03:38 AM   #10

Default Left handed BCG

COuldn't you take a regular BCG and spin the bolt 180 degrees and put the cam pin back in to make it eject to the left????????????? What am I missing?

NRA Member
Sustaining Member Southern Poverty Law Center
"Lighten Up Francis"
Semper gero sub gero