Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Barrel Extension? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/barrel-extension-40144/)

WoodysKJ 03-22-2011 05:14 PM

Barrel Extension?

Hi, My name is Woody, (Entire room responds "Hi Woody")..... I am a South Paw.....

I know I know, admitting you have a problem is the first step to a cure.:o

Anyway, I am building a Bull Barrel Hog Ass Kicker. Have a Barrel in mind, But I am wondering how difficult or what are the steps to change out the barrel extension for one that is Ambidextrous like the one Stag Arms offers? So I can use their left hand upper. Not bothered by the shell crossing my face on this one as I plan to be using a scope and closing my right eye so I don'r NEED to build a Lefty just make one for me only.

Can anybody provide the instructions and or link to some detailed instruction for this (with Pics).

Thanks,

Quentin 03-22-2011 06:01 PM

I've never installed a barrel extension on a barrel but know enough that I'd be reluctant to attempt it. And then throwing in a left handed version, well I can see problems brewing.

I'll back off now since I don't have first hand experience and others here like JD do so can help you sort out the technical side. I guess my advice would be if you really don't need a lefty, then maybe it makes more sense staying with the normal ejection side, especially if there is any chance down the road you may want to sell the upper (you'll never get your money out of it).

JonM 03-22-2011 06:47 PM

i dont think there is a left or right extension. i know that the extension can be machined a little to help sticky bolts which is prolly where taht idea comes from. i would just put the rifle together if it has issues then worry about it. i do know the real issue is finding a left hand BCG and bolt. put it together and if it has issues at that point a smith can fix any stickiness.

barrel extensions require very specific tools that will allow the extension to be indexed to the gas port. the next step would be to head space the chamber usually requires more specialized tools and a person who knows what theya re doing with em.

WoodysKJ 03-22-2011 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 470331)
i dont think there is a left or right extension. i know that the extension can be machined a little to help sticky bolts which is prolly where taht idea comes from. i would just put the rifle together if it has issues then worry about it. i do know the real issue is finding a left hand BCG and bolt. put it together and if it has issues at that point a smith can fix any stickiness.

barrel extensions require very specific tools that will allow the extension to be indexed to the gas port. the next step would be to head space the chamber usually requires more specialized tools and a person who knows what theya re doing with em.

For one thing you are correct, there is no such thing as a LEFT handed extension. BUT there is a Ambi Extension that has the bolt locking lugs eased on BOTH sides not just the right. And finding a Lefty BCG is not as difficult as you might think.

And I am not the kind of guy who likes to "Worry about it later" I will either build a lefty or not. I know about the extension wrenches and sockets. Not worried about buying a couple new tools. Just want to know the steps involved.

WoodysKJ 03-22-2011 07:30 PM

Never mind, I just confirmed my theory of how they are mounted. The Extension is mounted PRIOR to the gas port being drilled. That way they can be exactly indexed on each other.

Sniper03 03-22-2011 07:44 PM

Woody

You are correct! Forget changing the barrel extension. Also takes a special socket and 150+ Ft. Lbs of torque. Not to mention the index pin is located precisely with the front sight being drilled in alignment with the Index. It would be like winning the lottery since the threads would have to have the exact lead and all! Sorry but you also answered your own question! Ain't happening. Buy a barrel complete with barrel extension and index. I am sure you have seen ARs where the rear sight aperture was clear over against the side of the rear sight housing. Most of the time it is either a misaligned index pin and or improperly located and drilled front sight housing.

Dillinger 03-22-2011 07:53 PM

Damn glad Sniper03 was here because I didn't have an exact answer for you Woody. It's not something that has ever come up. :o

Thanks 03!

JD

Quentin 03-22-2011 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omar Little
Come at the king, you best not miss.
Great quote, great signature, JD! Loved The Wire...

556plinker 03-24-2011 03:34 AM

A first

Quentin and Dillinger befuddled?......write it down boys and girls.

556plinker 03-24-2011 03:38 AM

Left handed BCG

COuldn't you take a regular BCG and spin the bolt 180 degrees and put the cam pin back in to make it eject to the left????????????? What am I missing?