Barrel Contours???

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Barrel Contours???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2012, 11:34 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default Barrel Contours???

So if you want a "HEAVY" not a "BULL BARREL" something you can have or comes fluted, but will not weigh you down if you want to carry it hunting.....

How do you know what is what??????

I am soooooooooooo confused!!!!!!

Is there any standard at all to barrel contours for ARs?????

A true Gentleman always provides covering fire while his lady is reloading. It is only proper.

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented worker" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-12-2012, 11:43 PM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2600 Times on 1269 Posts
Likes Given: 1299

Bear,

What do you plan on using most of the time for and what kind of hunting are you going to be doing including range. I assume you are looking at a 5.56 cal. Juts a little more info needed to intelligently give it a shot!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 12-12-2012, 11:44 PM   #3

Liked 390 Times on 253 Posts
Likes Given: 1400

An HBAR doesnt neccessarily have to be too heavy.
I have both HBAR and LW barrells on my Ar's and the difference between the two is not really noticable to me (then again I am a 225 lbs weightlifter so I may not be typical)

What are you looking to build?
All around self defense gun?
hunting gun?

Old 12-13-2012, 01:00 AM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Sniper,

I want something to hunt dogs, rockchuck and cougars with.. but something I can run a 30 round mag dry once in awhile to ease that trigger finger itch...lol..

I want something that is useable as a defense weapon, but I can knock a yote or cougar down at 3-400 yards if needed. Yes, I can shoot that well, do it all the time with a bolt gun.. I am looking at a 16 in. barrel, but I know I do not want a mil spec m4 barrel or a .950 dia. bull barrel.

A true Gentleman always provides covering fire while his lady is reloading. It is only proper.

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented worker" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"

Old 12-13-2012, 01:18 AM   #5

Liked 1029 Times on 724 Posts
Likes Given: 1028

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntbear View Post
... I am looking at a 16 in. barrel, but I know I do not want a mil spec m4 barrel or a .950 dia. bull barrel.
Well many HBARs are .750" and the old pencil barrel is .625". There is a government profile that's a combination of both and it's not necessarily an M4 profile. In a 16" barrel the pencil/LW can be about a pound lighter than the HBAR.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 12-13-2012, 02:00 AM   #6

Liked 60 Times on 49 Posts

I hunt coyote, but have most luck at night. Shots are rarely over 200 yards. I use a 16" lightweight barrel and its plenty accurate for dog control.

Based on what you are saying, you'd probably be best served by a 16-18" wylde chambered stainless barrel. PSA has a model but hasn't been in stock for some time. I recommend a 2 point sling for it as well. I carry my rifle, a caller, a decoy, a folding stool, and a shooting stick when yote hunting. Without a comfortable sling for the rifle it would be a PITA.

Anything longer than 18" are bench rifles. Try shouldering a 20-24" bull barrel and you'll agree. My buddy got this one with a 16" delton M4 profile standing freehand. It was 11pm, 100 yds and he was using PVS-14 NV attached to a day scope. Second picture is one of mine, taken with a wicked 400 hunting light.

image-2060730909.jpg   image-563812462.jpg  

Old 12-13-2012, 04:02 AM   #7

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

You can do all that with a lw barrel.