Barrel choices (so many) need some help
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Barrel choices (so many) need some help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2010, 10:24 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Barrel choices (so many) need some help

Ok guys this is my first post so take it easy on me. I did some research but couldnt find the info I was looking for. I have a DPMS A3 AR-15 and I just bought a new dpms A3 flat top upper reciver and I would like to swap my 20" barrel out to a 16" barrel. Im not really looking for a long range weapon cause I have my remington 700 for that. Im wanting a more SHTF close quarters weapon. I have 20 acres and I shoot alot here at home. I was thinking of going with a 16" Heavy barrel (not bull barrel) but not sure what the best twist for me is. I shoot remington 55gr cause its clean, cheap ammo that I can pick up at wally world 100 for 45bucks. Could some one explain to me why I should want a certin twist. Im young and still learing about the barrel twists. Also I know I will need a shorter gas tube to go from a 20" to a 16" barrel but is there anything else besides the punchs and barrel tool that I will need to make the switch. Thanks guys and im open to ideas on diff barrels that might suite me better . Im all ears!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-16-2010, 05:56 PM   #2

Bump back to the top. Anybody?

Old 02-16-2010, 10:46 PM   #3
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 464 Times on 254 Posts

Jump on over to the Introductions and say hello to everyone, then you may find the knowledge base open up for ya.

Old 02-16-2010, 11:38 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shihan View Post
Jump on over to the Introductions and say hello to everyone, then you may find the knowledge base open up for ya.
Will do!

Old 02-17-2010, 02:21 AM   #5

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If you plan to stick with 55 gr fmj then really any of the twist rates will work OK for you. That said, it seems that 1:8 is the most versatile.

Old 02-17-2010, 02:35 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ View Post
If you plan to stick with 55 gr fmj then really any of the twist rates will work OK for you. That said, it seems that 1:8 is the most versatile.
Thanks! What about a heavy 16" barrel vs a regualr 16" barrel what would the advantages of that be?

Old 02-17-2010, 03:05 AM   #7

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roon View Post
Thanks! What about a heavy 16" barrel vs a regualr 16" barrel what would the advantages of that be?
Depending on what you want to do with the rifle, basically weight and shooting distance accuracy.

Heavy barrels or Bull barrels take longer to heat-up, thus maintaining good accuracy for more shots. They are also usually more consistent in the way they vibrate as a bullet passes down their length, which also helps for better accuracy. Their weight (within reason) makes it easier to hold the rifle steady. For all of these reasons, heavy barrels are generally more accurate bench/target shooting and SHTF rifles, as well as shooting varmints at a distance.

For CQB it is hard to beat a light bbl. A 16" std for a "close-in" tactical carbine.

A fluted heavy barrel is only a little heavier than a standard weight. The best of both worlds with accuracy.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 02-18-2010, 05:11 AM   #8

For a 16” barrel I would go with one from BravocompanyUSA.com or Daniel Defense. Both are tier 1 barrels.

Old 02-18-2010, 07:59 AM   #9

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

I'd say.. Dont mess with it..

Get another one. Hard part is "Splainin to the Mrs."

Gunpowder Addict For 40 Years Now

Old 02-18-2010, 05:12 PM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

or...you could buy one of these: DSA M4 upper assy

and another $130-150 for a complete bolt carrier group assy: bravo co. m16 auto BCG assy

so for a little over $400, you'd be ready to go with nothing else to buy, take apart, or assemble.

I'd keep the 20" upper for times when you might want to go for longer shots. You'd only have to pull the two pins and replace the uppers.

just another .02

Slo