Barrel Brands
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Barrel Brands

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2010, 01:02 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1109 Times on 657 Posts
Likes Given: 348

Default Barrel Brands

Can some in the know offer some suggestions on quality brands that don't break the bank? I'm building an AR-15, looking for a 16" barrel. I'm thinking 1/8 twist but that's still up for discussion at this point, I shoot 55gr bullets pretty much exclusively.
Brands I was looking at so far.

Rock River (I've seen plenty of examples that shoot great so the barrel must be good is my reasoning)
Daniel Defense (read good things about them on here)
Spikes Tactical
BCM

Anything others I should be looking into?

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-23-2010, 01:59 PM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yanus, if you haven't already, go to AR15.com and look around. As with anything else, you get what you pay for. Good Luck, Joe

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Old 07-23-2010, 04:03 PM   #3

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Yunus, in a 16" gun, you don't really need a custom cut, button rifled barrel. Save the cash and get a standard profile without the chrome lining. Free float it and it will be plenty accurate as long as you are not trying to shoot aspirin at 150 yards.

JD

Old 07-23-2010, 05:50 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Yunus, in a 16" gun, you don't really need a custom cut, button rifled barrel. Save the cash and get a standard profile without the chrome lining. Free float it and it will be plenty accurate as long as you are not trying to shoot aspirin at 150 yards.

JD
But how will I split my aspirin tablets then?

Hunter S. Thompson

Old 07-23-2010, 10:25 PM   #5

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yunus View Post
But how will I split my aspirin tablets then?

That aspirin reference is related to an old school sniper challenge where P.I.G.'s ( Professionally Instructed Gunmen - meaning they are not yet Snipers or H.O.G.'s )are challenged by their instructors to shoot a standard Bayer aspirin with a cold bore shot at 100 yards.

Usually someone pulls off the feat in a typical class, and then the instructor shoots one at 150-200 yards to put them back in their place.

Honestly at a 100 yards, with a standard AR, most shooters are not going to appreciate a significant difference in the accuracy of a stock barrel versus a custom when weighed against the price.

I would put that extra money towards other parts of the build. Then, when you want to stretch the battlefield, spend money on a quality barrel in a longer configuration.

Just my $0.02

JD

Old 07-23-2010, 11:24 PM   #6

Actually Compass Lakes Varmint upper in SS is exactly what I'm looking for. Scope only smooth free float tube. I like the clean look.

And I would love to stretch the battlefield. I just don't have regular access to a longer one.

Hunter S. Thompson

Old 07-24-2010, 01:17 AM   #7

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

White Oak Armament makes great barrels at a great price. Very accurate to boot.

Old 08-10-2010, 12:54 AM   #8
ARP

Something to watch for in 5.56 barrels, I have seen this in many brands, even the 1:8 twist stainless.
Many inexpensive brands button rifle the barrel and thread the muzzle without stress relieving, the bore at the muzzle ends up .219 where the rest of the barrel may be .218. those 2 sizes of inspection pins will tell if the .219 goes in the muzzle only 3/4" then you know.
If the bore is larger at the muzzle the 55gr bullets will not shoot well partly because the full diameter body of the bullet is shorter and the larger bore allows the bullet to wobble as it leaves. I have had better results with WWB(M193) and worse results with UMC and FE.
69 and 77gr SMKs still shoot pretty well out of those barrels, Black Hills remanufactured ammo shoots very well and if you reload try 24gr of RE15 with the 69gr SMks set to 2.28" if your mags allow you to load that long.

Old 08-10-2010, 01:24 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARP View Post
Something to watch for in 5.56 barrels, I have seen this in many brands, even the 1:8 twist stainless.
Many inexpensive brands button rifle the barrel and thread the muzzle without stress relieving, the bore at the muzzle ends up .219 where the rest of the barrel may be .218. those 2 sizes of inspection pins will tell if the .219 goes in the muzzle only 3/4" then you know.
If the bore is larger at the muzzle the 55gr bullets will not shoot well partly because the full diameter body of the bullet is shorter and the larger bore allows the bullet to wobble as it leaves. I have had better results with WWB(M193) and worse results with UMC and FE.
69 and 77gr SMKs still shoot pretty well out of those barrels, Black Hills remanufactured ammo shoots very well and if you reload try 24gr of RE15 with the 69gr SMks set to 2.28" if your mags allow you to load that long.
Well I understand some of that I think. It's a bit more technical than I am. I understand the twist rate and how different weight bullets stabilize better with different twist rates but you lost me when you say 3/4" then you know.

Hunter S. Thompson

Old 08-10-2010, 01:36 AM   #10
ARP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yunus View Post
Well I understand some of that I think. It's a bit more technical than I am. I understand the twist rate and how different weight bullets stabilize better with different twist rates but you lost me when you say 3/4" then you know.
The bore should be .218", if you can slide a .219 inspection pin in the muzzle 3/4" and then it stops then the muzzle is large and will likely throw big groups.
If you already have a barrel that shoot 2" groups or larger try the Black Hills 69gr remanufactured ammo or that handload 24gr of RE15 with 69gr Sierras.