Bang for the buck - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Bang for the buck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2012, 12:45 AM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 22 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I would not hesitate to buy another DPMS AP4 carbine. I do have some up grades like the BCG and bolt, and a better charger handle, and I have always hated the stupid , bolt hold. So I have one now that doesnt poke a hole in my finger. Other than that pretty out the door stock. I have about 1000 rounds through it without a hiccup.

In fact I figure it is a good of enough rifle to warrent a good holo sight, which I got an eotech, on order, and some iron sights that will suposedly absolute co-witness. If they don't, they will, with risers etc.

I do have an old Colt ar-15 with the solid A2 carry handle, and standard long hard buttstock. It has close to 6000 rounds down range, and is my sweetheart go to gun. It just has the standard A2 open sights. My eyes are to a point that I cannot shoot standard open sights. I just cannot see the front, rear sights and hold a picture on target. I used a holo sight about a month ago with a buddies rifle. Whoa what a difference.

I just could not decapitate my colt to put on a rail. Hence the new somewhat custom DPMS.

Time will tell if I did the right thing.

Old 10-18-2012, 04:36 AM   #22

Liked 26 Times on 22 Posts

What are everybody's opinion of Windham Weaponry? Found a nice AR for 799

Old 11-03-2012, 12:30 AM   #23

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbcruz12
What are everybody's opinion of Windham Weaponry? Found a nice AR for 799
I bought one about a month ago and I am super impressed. It preformed ad well as my colt. I've put more than 3k rounds through and no problems at all.

Old 11-03-2012, 04:31 PM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 308 Times on 246 Posts
Likes Given: 44

For a 16" mil-spec middy (seems to be the go-to for many), build it for that price.

Stripped Lower: $150 (give or take $50)
PSA LPK w/ MOE grip & stock: $120
PSA barreled upper, when on sale (often): $280
Quality M16 BCG + BCM Gunfighter CH: $190
Magpul rear MBUS + MOE handguard: $80
Vortex Strikefire Red/Green Dot sight: $150
Magpul P-Mags (2): $30

I've now spent all your money, but your rifle is complete. Heck, you even got a highly functional optic to mount atop your gun. And for what I'm after (your preferences may differ), that's a solid rifle that should run like a top. All you need after that is ammo, maybe a sling, and eventually a tacticool rifle case and even more mags to justify all those velcro pockets.

For builds on a budget, do look up JoeBob's, PSA, and AIM. They all get high marks for quality, service, and extremely fair pricing.

Last edited by sweeper22; 11-03-2012 at 04:38 PM.

Old 11-03-2012, 05:06 PM   #25

Liked 761 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 274

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeper22
For a 16" mil-spec middy (seems to be the go-to for many), build it for that price.

Stripped Lower: $150 (give or take $50)
PSA LPK w/ MOE grip & stock: $120
PSA barreled upper, when on sale (often): $280
Quality M16 BCG + BCM Gunfighter CH: $190
Magpul rear MBUS + MOE handguard: $80
Vortex Strikefire Red/Green Dot sight: $150
Magpul P-Mags (2): $30

I've now spent all your money, but your rifle is complete. Heck, you even got a highly functional optic to mount atop your gun. And for what I'm after (your preferences may differ), that's a solid rifle that should run like a top. All you need after that is ammo, maybe a sling, and eventually a tacticool rifle case and even more mags to justify all those velcro pockets.

For builds on a budget, do look up JoeBob's, PSA, and AIM. They all get high marks for quality, service, and extremely fair pricing.
That's a great post & list. Very good advice. Only thing I'll add is JSE Surplus as a place to price shop. Very competitive pricing and products.

dhcustomwork.com
/ dhcustomwork@gmail.com