Bad, Good and Great AR 15 - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Bad, Good and Great AR 15

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2013, 01:19 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1043 Times on 706 Posts
Likes Given: 555

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattledog

Don't be ridiculous! Ill use balsa for the airsoft version.
You'd have to start a "what color should I stain my lower" thread if you do this though.

Old 05-09-2013, 01:30 AM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 588 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 535

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawjr74 View Post
You'd have to start a "what color should I stain my lower" thread if you do this though.

LMFAO! oh my god...I think I might start that one tomorrow. Its no where near April first....they'll never see it coming.

"You can have it fast, cheap and accurate...pick any two."~Me

"Educate and Inform the whole mass of the people. Enable them to see that it is their interest to preserve peace and order, and they will preserve them." ~Thomas Jefferson
People Like This 
Old 05-09-2013, 02:03 AM   #13
Jarvis
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 24 Times on 15 Posts

After reading and looking around a few months I bought a LWRC M6A2. It was a bit pricey but well worth it. I think the short stroke gas piston design is extremely reliable. The striker key is integrated into the carrier which is a good peice of mind. The top of the forearm can be removed easily to access the piston assembly without removing the entire forearm. Plus it came with Magpul mags, MIAD Grip, flip up BUIS, and a Vltor stock. I put some other goodies on it and is a bad mother f****r. i have beat the crap out of it, put over 5,000 rounds through it and its still ticking. At one point it had over 2,000 rounds through it without cleaning and still never failed. It's a great rifle.

Old 05-09-2013, 02:15 AM   #14

Liked 1131 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSmith1883 View Post
After reading and looking around a few months I bought a LWRC M6A2. It was a bit pricey but well worth it. I think the short stroke gas piston design is extremely reliable. The striker key is integrated into the carrier which is a good peice of mind. The top of the forearm can be removed easily to access the piston assembly without removing the entire forearm. Plus it came with Magpul mags, MIAD Grip, flip up BUIS, and a Vltor stock. I put some other goodies on it and is a bad mother f****r. i have beat the crap out of it, put over 5,000 rounds through it and its still ticking. At one point it had over 2,000 rounds through it without cleaning and still never failed. It's a great rifle.
We put some where between 6000-8000 rounds thru a $599 factory built PSA 16" carbine. We quit documenting after 6200 and something rounds because we had no failures except a bad mag which caused one ft feed , never cleaned except for the initial cleaning and lubrication when purchased . Just lubed every time we took it out . Still ticking like a clock. I cleaned it over the winter and replaced gas rings but thats it .We ran every kind of ammo from, brass, soft points, hp's, cheap steel , and ballistic tipped varmit rds . It eats everything
Guess I have one badd ass rifle too

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens
Quentin Likes This 
Old 05-09-2013, 02:54 AM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 588 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 535

A couple years back I got a deal on some del-ton rifle kits. So, like any responsible citizen, I let all my AR-less friends know that I had a cheap hook up. They all had off brand lowers. mil-spec (of course), nicely anodized but nothing that would get more than a smirk on AR-15.com.

One of those rifles has had over 15,000 rounds of everything from lake city 5.56 to cheap Russian steel .223 garbage through it without a hiccup. This guys an Iraq vet an he don't give two flying rat turds about roll marks. He's abused the crap out of that poor rifle. He even does this rapid fire, double/triple tap thing that swear is bump firing and he swears it isn't. whatever.

The point is, there are three things that affect any firearms quality:

1) Engineering. In this case the AR-15 has it in spades and thats why a $750 rifle can hold its own against a $2000 one.

2) Materials. Where the AR is concerned, this only really comes into play when dealing with the "low end" MFGs but its pretty easy to suss out the crap form the cream via google.

3) Quality Control. The first two can rule but if you aint got the third, then you're Taurus. In AR's Ive heard more horror stories about Model 1 than anything else.

beyond that, its an AR. Pretty good chance than no matter what the roll mark says, its gonna go bang every time. Unless you built it yourself and you put it together wrong. Accuracy? All in the barrel and most manufacturers use the same ones anyway.

"You can have it fast, cheap and accurate...pick any two."~Me

"Educate and Inform the whole mass of the people. Enable them to see that it is their interest to preserve peace and order, and they will preserve them." ~Thomas Jefferson
People Like This 
Old 05-10-2013, 05:33 AM   #16
Jarvis
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 24 Times on 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc

We put some where between 6000-8000 rounds thru a $599 factory built PSA 16" carbine. We quit documenting after 6200 and something rounds because we had no failures except a bad mag which caused one ft feed , never cleaned except for the initial cleaning and lubrication when purchased . Just lubed every time we took it out . Still ticking like a clock. I cleaned it over the winter and replaced gas rings but thats it .We ran every kind of ammo from, brass, soft points, hp's, cheap steel , and ballistic tipped varmit rds . It eats everything
Guess I have one badd ass rifle too
Wow! That is a bad ass rifle.

Old 05-10-2013, 05:53 AM   #17
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1333 Times on 698 Posts
Likes Given: 612

Buy what you can afford right now.

Sight it in.

Shoot the sh!t out of it. Have fun!

Fix whatever breaks or you don't like.

Buy whatever accessories you like. Don't pi$$ off spouse.

NEVER ask anyone on any forum what they think of your rifle or accessories.

If you follow the above rules, you will have a stress-free, fun-filled, brass-strewn lifetime with your AR! Oh, and never let spouse see you having this much fun...unless you plan on buying THEM a rifle!

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Last edited by TekGreg; 05-10-2013 at 05:57 AM.
Cattledog Likes This 
Old 05-10-2013, 06:39 AM   #18

Liked 112 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 85

Interstate Arms makes an 870 knock off. I doubt anyone would criticize the platform. You're not going to throw it in the garbage. Obviously when you go cheap you run the risk of needing or wanting to replace something. The beauty of the AR platform is that most problems aren't actually problems. You want a new bolt or barrel? Great. Sell the old ones. Broke the receiver? Great. $75 gets you a knew one. You can do all this work yourself without any extra special kit for the most part.

If you have a problem with your IAC Hawk, then you'll probably be consulting a gunsmith.

The only problem with the AR is that you have so many easy options.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Terry V Ohio Commentary