Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Bad ammo...what to do?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2013, 05:36 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 4

Default Bad ammo...what to do?

Greetings!

So on the way to the range I stopped in to the LGS and picked up a fe boxes for remington cheep stuff to plink with (.300 AAC Backout). Come to find that A WHOLE BOX was loaded up with squibs. The rifles "report" diminished , I had feed probls and stove pipes...all due ( I assume) to this crappy remington ammo. The store said "sorry"...do I have recourse? will remington replace the box?

Built AR-15, 5.56 & .300 AAC Blackout tops
Yugoslavian AK-47
Remington 1100 Tactical Shotgun
Remington 1100 Shotgun
Crosman 760 pump gun <smirk>
M1 Garand .30-06
M1903 Springfield Sporter .30-06
Sig Sauer P250 Sub Compact 9mm
Sig Sauer TacOps 1911

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-03-2013, 05:44 AM   #2

Liked 3734 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffCooper View Post
Greetings!

So on the way to the range I stopped in to the LGS and picked up a fe boxes for remington cheep stuff to plink with (.300 AAC Backout). Come to find that A WHOLE BOX was loaded up with squibs. The rifles "report" diminished , I had feed probls and stove pipes...all due ( I assume) to this crappy remington ammo. The store said "sorry"...do I have recourse? will remington replace the box?
I would definitely try writing them at the least. Also include as much information as possible ... recounting the events at the range too. It might help if you sent them a casing or two.

Who knows, maybe the have a bad batch floating around out there that needs recalling

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Quentin Likes This 
Old 01-03-2013, 06:03 AM   #3

Liked 973 Times on 684 Posts
Likes Given: 974

I agree with Dog, Remington needs to know about this - it's a dangerous situation and someone's going to get hurt if it's wide spread. In fact I bet they'll go out of their way to make it right by you.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 01-03-2013, 12:39 PM   #4

Liked 42 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I think you need to be careful about your terminology.

Technically, a "squib" load is one in which the bullet doesn't exit the barrel, considerably more dangerous than the aggravating feeding and stovepipe problems you experienced with the box of seemingly underpowered ammo you purchased.

By all means contact Remington and provide details, with lot numbers off the box, if available.

As an aside, I'm not very high on Remington ammo anyway.....

XD-40 service, XD-9sc, member GeorgiaCarry.Org, National Rifle Association, Gun Owners of America, North American Hunting Club, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation

Old 01-03-2013, 02:04 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5475 Times on 2861 Posts
Likes Given: 355

Good luck getting any help from remington on ammo. Ive never had any success with them about their shtty ammo when i have contacted them.

Remington is total fail on ammo. Nowadays if it comes down to having a couple of bullets if its remington only or using a rock, ill take the rock.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-03-2013, 03:22 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2689 Times on 1405 Posts
Likes Given: 216

Technically a squib load is one with less than sufficient powder or no powder. Many times a squib load will lodge in the barrel, but not always. Remington has some of the worst ammo on the market today. 40 years ago they were #1 in ammo. IMHO they rested on their laurels and sat back while EVERYONE else made leaps in ammo development. They were left in the dust and have done a piss poor job of catching up.

Would not hurt to contact them.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 01-03-2013, 03:29 PM   #7
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2343 Times on 1170 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Jeff,

As the guys have mentioned I would certainly call Remington right away and advise. They will probably ask for the Lot Number on the box. And hopefully you have some of the same Lot left.
Were these brand new rounds?

Since the store would not stand good for it sure would be thinking about shopping there in the future. From you comment it sounds like they were fairly indiferent to your problem. As a scary thought! Could they have reloaded the rounds themselves? Just a thought!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 01-03-2013, 11:56 PM   #8

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Good luck getting any help from remington on ammo. Ive never had any success with them about their shtty ammo when i have contacted them.

Remington is total fail on ammo. Nowadays if it comes down to having a couple of bullets if its remington only or using a rock, ill take the rock.
I have never not seen Remington replace ammunition when asked.

And Remington 300 BLK ammunition is actually the most inspired, ambitious, and best available from any maker - and that includes many big-name choices, such as Hornady.

So yes, call Remington and get a replacement.