Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Bad ammo...what to do? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/bad-ammo-what-do-80172/)

JeffCooper 01-03-2013 05:36 AM

Bad ammo...what to do?

Greetings!

So on the way to the range I stopped in to the LGS and picked up a fe boxes for remington cheep stuff to plink with (.300 AAC Backout). Come to find that A WHOLE BOX was loaded up with squibs. The rifles "report" diminished , I had feed probls and stove pipes...all due ( I assume) to this crappy remington ammo. The store said "sorry"...do I have recourse? will remington replace the box?

dog2000tj 01-03-2013 05:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffCooper (Post 1077590)
Greetings!

So on the way to the range I stopped in to the LGS and picked up a fe boxes for remington cheep stuff to plink with (.300 AAC Backout). Come to find that A WHOLE BOX was loaded up with squibs. The rifles "report" diminished , I had feed probls and stove pipes...all due ( I assume) to this crappy remington ammo. The store said "sorry"...do I have recourse? will remington replace the box?

I would definitely try writing them at the least. Also include as much information as possible ... recounting the events at the range too. It might help if you sent them a casing or two.

Who knows, maybe the have a bad batch floating around out there that needs recalling :o

Quentin 01-03-2013 06:03 AM

I agree with Dog, Remington needs to know about this - it's a dangerous situation and someone's going to get hurt if it's wide spread. In fact I bet they'll go out of their way to make it right by you.

treehugger49 01-03-2013 12:39 PM

I think you need to be careful about your terminology.

Technically, a "squib" load is one in which the bullet doesn't exit the barrel, considerably more dangerous than the aggravating feeding and stovepipe problems you experienced with the box of seemingly underpowered ammo you purchased.

By all means contact Remington and provide details, with lot numbers off the box, if available.

As an aside, I'm not very high on Remington ammo anyway.....

JonM 01-03-2013 02:04 PM

Good luck getting any help from remington on ammo. Ive never had any success with them about their shtty ammo when i have contacted them.

Remington is total fail on ammo. Nowadays if it comes down to having a couple of bullets if its remington only or using a rock, ill take the rock.

robocop10mm 01-03-2013 03:22 PM

Technically a squib load is one with less than sufficient powder or no powder. Many times a squib load will lodge in the barrel, but not always. Remington has some of the worst ammo on the market today. 40 years ago they were #1 in ammo. IMHO they rested on their laurels and sat back while EVERYONE else made leaps in ammo development. They were left in the dust and have done a piss poor job of catching up.

Would not hurt to contact them.

Sniper03 01-03-2013 03:29 PM

Jeff,

As the guys have mentioned I would certainly call Remington right away and advise. They will probably ask for the Lot Number on the box. And hopefully you have some of the same Lot left.
Were these brand new rounds?

Since the store would not stand good for it sure would be thinking about shopping there in the future. From you comment it sounds like they were fairly indiferent to your problem. As a scary thought! Could they have reloaded the rounds themselves? Just a thought!

rsilvers 01-03-2013 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 1077817)
Good luck getting any help from remington on ammo. Ive never had any success with them about their shtty ammo when i have contacted them.

Remington is total fail on ammo. Nowadays if it comes down to having a couple of bullets if its remington only or using a rock, ill take the rock.

I have never not seen Remington replace ammunition when asked.

And Remington 300 BLK ammunition is actually the most inspired, ambitious, and best available from any maker - and that includes many big-name choices, such as Hornady.

So yes, call Remington and get a replacement.