Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > backup bolt carrier group?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2013, 01:20 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

image-4080780955.jpg

Uploaded from my mobile, I hope the pic works. This is why to have a spare. Brand new BCG, 30 rds fired and every lug was stripped off. I have asked several buddies, including SF guys and they haven't seen this (to this extreme). Good news is that I now have a brand new one from another mfg an it was replaced with no questions asked.

Old 04-09-2013, 01:24 PM   #12
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2916 Times on 1717 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit147 View Post

Uploaded from my mobile, I hope the pic works. This is why to have a spare. Brand new BCG, 30 rds fired and every lug was stripped off. I have asked several buddies, including SF guys and they haven't seen this (to this extreme). Good news is that I now have a brand new one from another mfg an it was replaced with no questions asked.
Wow. I would be a bit concerned about damage to the chamber. Unless there was a serious flaw with the lugs I would imagine that would take a serious pressure issue.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 04-09-2013, 01:36 PM   #13

Liked 282 Times on 204 Posts
Likes Given: 192

KBD, thank you for that very detailed and experienced response....lots to chew on there as a newbie to the AR. Ive read some amazing homemade lube threads and willing to use what the veterans suggest.....Ive just been using Ballistol and Hoppes 9. Thoughts on those? Ive always liked the way that Ballistol reacts with metals to give it a smooth surface and repel dirt while keeping a slick surface on the metal...but obviously parkerized steel will not produce that same effect on the metal

Thanks guys! I think Ive been talked into another BCG for backup, and an extra firing pin since they are so cheap

Old 04-09-2013, 01:39 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1107 Times on 718 Posts
Likes Given: 1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit147 View Post
Attachment 95173

This is not normal , I think I have a pretty good clue about the brand because they even admitted they had some casting issues and were replacing them no questions asked , I have heard this from a few people that bought these , usually its 2 or 3 of the lugs not all of them .
Im curious as to who's Bolt that is to see if I m right .

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Last edited by purehavoc; 04-09-2013 at 01:55 PM.

Old 04-09-2013, 01:45 PM   #15

please please please give details about that damaged bolt so I know to stay FAR away from that company!

Thats incredible.....

Old 04-09-2013, 02:03 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessSteel215 View Post
please please please give details about that damaged bolt so I know to stay FAR away from that company!

Thats incredible.....
See , you shouldnt be like that . All companies at one time or another has a failure or produces a flawed item . Its the ones that dont want to fix the problem that you stay away from . If a company is willing to send another bolt no questions asked I will always give them a second chance , If they produce another POS part and it happens again or refuse to replace it then I stay away .

Old 04-09-2013, 02:06 PM   #17

I can agree with that statement 100%

Data is data though, and if you have hundreds of reported breakages with a certain make & model than its pretty clear....stay away! I dont want a crappy replacement, I want a quality part

Suggestions on a decent BCG for my DPMS?

Old 04-09-2013, 02:11 PM   #18
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5100 Times on 2651 Posts
Likes Given: 309

Quote:

Data is data though, and if you have hundreds of reported breakages with a certain make & model than its pretty clear....stay away! I dont want a crappy replacement, I want a quality part

my preference is for bcm bcg's. when a company like krieger recomends using true milspec bolts with their barrels they told me bcm was top of the line to match up with their precision barrels when i called and asked about a recomendation for bolts.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

purehavoc Likes This 
Old 04-09-2013, 03:02 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:

What alot of people dont understand is there are only about 6 companies that produces BCGs and bolts , they just put other companies names on them , A bad batch of steel, improperly heated or cooled , casting flaws,, humidity , etc . there not all equal , one company may have a different blend of steel than another . Some bolts are shot peened to make the steel harder , There is 8620 steel and 158 carpenter steel , these are the mainly used steel for bolts , Im sure there is other stuff out there used , the old Mil spec was 8620 and the new mil spec is C-158 . which is better? take your pick I own both and they all work flawless .

I agree with Jon , I am waiting to try to catch 2 BCM BCGs on the next go around of new inventory . I currently only run the Spikes and the PSA MPI/ HPT mil spec , I dont like PSA's " m16 BCGs " its just personal preference , I would rather have a MPI / HPT tested bolt and the M16s are just MPI batch tested .

Last edited by purehavoc; 04-09-2013 at 03:04 PM.

Old 04-09-2013, 03:07 PM   #20

Wheeeew, I have a lot to absorb and research as i only understood about half of that....but thanks

I just want a simple yet trusted brand for a backup bolt....and I'm pretty sure my complete DPMS is non mil spec. Does that really matter when it comes to the bolt?