Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > AWB (Assault weapons ban) vs Post ban model???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2011, 07:29 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 19 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default AWB (Assault weapons ban) vs Post ban model???

Need a little help here. I am a far cry from being any kind of expert on gun laws, so any advice from some knowledgable members would be greatly appreciated. I am looking to purchase an Armalite AR10-A4 carbine. (see link). The one pictured is the one I really want, with the adjustable butt stock. I think this one is the assault weapons ban model. They also have a post ban model for this model. Am I not allowed to purchase the AWB model in my home state of Louisiana?? This is all so confusing, Thanks.

http://www.armalite.com/ItemForm.aspx?item=10A4CF&ReturnUrl=Categories.asp x?Category=f4bd4a13-55d1-41aa-aea0-49488ec48776

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-02-2011, 12:15 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1004 Times on 564 Posts
Likes Given: 390

That rifle should be legal in LA. I purchased my first AR15 carbine in Shreveport. My AR came with the bayonet lug, adjustable stock, flash hider, etc.

Check with a local gun shop.

Old 10-02-2011, 02:04 PM   #3

Liked 972 Times on 645 Posts
Likes Given: 538

im not a lawyer or anything but i believe that federally the ban was lifted however a handful of states chose to keep the ban as there states gun laws such as NY, Cali, and a few others. the best way to find out would be to go ask a gun dealer. heck just call them and ask. hopefully you can call a nicer dealer and dont get stuck witha guy who wants your money lol

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 10-02-2011, 02:58 PM   #4

Liked 761 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 456

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjfuller1 View Post
im not a lawyer or anything but i believe that federally the ban was lifted however a handful of states chose to keep the ban as there states gun laws such as NY, Cali, and a few others. the best way to find out would be to go ask a gun dealer. heck just call them and ask. hopefully you can call a nicer dealer and dont get stuck witha guy who wants your money lol
^^^What he said. The AWB expired in 2004 and for many states there is no longer any pre ban versus post ban difference. As noted, several states either reimposed their own bans or the laws on the books in 1994 were reinstituted, such is the case in NJ.

In addition to 10-15 rnd mag capacity limits, a post ban gun will generally lack:

-flash suppressor - permanently affixed brake is ok
-threaded barrel
-bayonet lug
-collapsible stock - permanently pinned faux tactical stock are ok

Best source of info for your state would be a dealer or local law enforcement.

Good luck

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington