ATI AR's??
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > ATI AR's??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2013, 04:26 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 575 Times on 307 Posts

Default ATI AR's??

I do not own one and have never heard of it. I think it is the same ATI that makes accessories. I have a friend that brought one to me for repairs after 100 rounds. I looked at this garbage and can't believe they are making AR's. Multiple issues found. First I found that the front sight base gas block is sitting at the 11:30 position( leaning to the left). He said it cycles like crap, it makes sense since he is not aligned to the gas port . The BCG is barely scratched and not properly staked. The birdcage is not even on tight and the crush washer is barely making contact. Has anyone seen these ATI knockoffs? My question is: how is the front sight attached? It appears that it is riveted on, they are not even roll pins, they are mushroomed out on both sides. I have to figure out a way to get them off without damaging the barrel. I'm putting on a low pro gas block and a quad rail for him. I have only built quality AR's and not modified cheesy ones, I'm worried that the rivets are laying in a notch under the barrel. Can anyone advise on how these are secured?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-26-2013, 12:19 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5747 Times on 3002 Posts
Likes Given: 380

This is why panic buy for cheap is bad in the gun world and why folks love companies like bcm stag rra etc

Those are front sight base pins and are tapered. If you look close one side of the the pins are smaller than the other. You need a fsb block to properly take them out and pound em back in after aligning the fsb.

Those things need to be in there tight as hell so it takes some force to do it. Typically they are pressed in by machine after placing in a jig to align the fsb with the index notch. However it can be done by hand.

When an fsb is set in place cutout alignment notches are drilled in the barrel through the pin holes. After removal if you dont see those notches cut into the barrel where the pins go its prolly never been installed correctly and your never going to do it right without a proper alignment jig. All you can do then is either go low profile gasblock or new barrel with a properly configured fsb.

Just drive the pins out then align the fsb over the gas port and with the bore axis then drive the pins in using the fsb block a good punch and big hammer. If the fsb rattles with the pins out its too big or the barrel profile is to small in diameter. It should fit pretty tight to its seating spot. If thats the case there isnt much you can do.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 03-26-2013 at 12:25 PM.

Old 03-26-2013, 12:53 PM   #3

Liked 575 Times on 307 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
This is why panic buy for cheap is bad in the gun world and why folks love companies like bcm stag rra etc

Those are front sight base pins and are tapered. If you look close one side of the the pins are smaller than the other. You need a fsb block to properly take them out and pound em back in after aligning the fsb.

Those things need to be in there tight as hell so it takes some force to do it. Typically they are pressed in by machine after placing in a jig to align the fsb with the index notch. However it can be done by hand.

When an fsb is set in place cutout alignment notches are drilled in the barrel through the pin holes. After removal if you dont see those notches cut into the barrel where the pins go its prolly never been installed correctly and your never going to do it right without a proper alignment jig. All you can do then is either go low profile gasblock or new barrel with a properly configured fsb.

Just drive the pins out then align the fsb over the gas port and with the bore axis then drive the pins in using the fsb block a good punch and big hammer. If the fsb rattles with the pins out its too big or the barrel profile is to small in diameter. It should fit pretty tight to its seating spot. If thats the case there isnt much you can do.
I was going to just replace it with a low pro gas block. I think I might grind one side down and just punch them out. Thanks for confirming about the notches on the barrel. I will never build an AR with a front sight base gas block , so it's my first dealing with them.