Assault weapons ban and parts values
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Assault weapons ban and parts values

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2012, 05:43 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 814 Times on 419 Posts

Default Assault weapons ban and parts values

I know nobody has a crystal ball, but if the assault weapons ban is reinstated which parts would go up in value the most? I live in Colorado and private sales are legal, I'm assuming you would still be able to do private sales. I have been thinking of purchasing stripped lowers as I "think" they could double, triple or even more in value. Does that sound like a sound investment?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-29-2012, 06:52 AM   #2

Liked 1070 Times on 753 Posts
Likes Given: 1075

Lower receivers could be harder to get, thus more valuable but maybe 30rd preban magazines would be the thing to stock up on. Really it depends on how such a law is written.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 09-29-2012, 07:10 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I was a bit too young to pay attention, but if you had an assault weapon during the last ban could you still go out and shoot it?

Old 09-29-2012, 07:25 AM   #4

Liked 712 Times on 463 Posts
Likes Given: 1949

Quote:
Originally Posted by TankTop View Post
I was a bit too young to pay attention, but if you had an assault weapon during the last ban could you still go out and shoot it?
The AWB was just some political BS that meant you could no longer manufacture an "assault weapon".

Anything you have previously will be grandfathered in... My suggestion? 2-3 stripped lowers, a few collapsible stocks and a keister-load of hi-cap mags.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 09-29-2012, 07:51 AM   #5

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I have yet to see one of these fear invoking "Assault weapons". From the hype, I'm sure I would tremble uncontrollably just being in its presence.

Mags, lowers, fire control parts.... these might be a fair investment.

Those 30rd brownells magazines that I bought for $2 each might exponentially increase in value overnight.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

sputnik1988 Likes This 
Old 09-29-2012, 08:23 AM   #6

Liked 247 Times on 169 Posts

I would think the 100 drum would be profitable considering Aurora and if that ban sets in then more profit

Old 09-29-2012, 07:48 PM   #7

Liked 1070 Times on 753 Posts
Likes Given: 1075

I'd skip drum mags, for the same money you can get more capacity in standard 30 rounders that actually are reliable and much more managable.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 09-29-2012, 08:21 PM   #8

Liked 4792 Times on 2680 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

You could not mix PreBan and PostBan uppers and lowers. The price on PreBan anything went up. You could still add parts if they were not imported but made in the U.S. As stated it was just PC BS did nothing.

Old 09-29-2012, 09:15 PM   #9

Liked 519 Times on 312 Posts
Likes Given: 237

Don't count on anything being grandfathered in. In NYC where they've had rifle and shotgun registration since around 1976 at first allowed aw's. In Sept 1994 NY Gov George Pataki (R), while pathetically pandering to the libs, banned aw's that contained certain features, but grandfathered in those previously owned. NYC, which makes it's own rules, forced it's residents to sell, or surrender all their aw's to a gun dealer and have a receipt as proof. There was no such thing as just giving it to a friend, or relative who lived outside the city limits. If none was produced then the individual's license was revoked and all legitimately owned guns were confiscated.

In 1989 when the federal ban went into effect a Chinese 75rd drum loaded up was selling everywhere for $30-$35. The price then jumped to $100-$150 without ammo. A Mitchell Arms Yugo scope mount that was selling for $50 and a $200 Yugo scope jumped up in price in a local gun shop to an $1100 package and the store refused to sell the two separately.

This all goes to show you that when there's a ban and even when there isn't one, you could still be in for a big time shafting and nothing's written in stone. You have to depend on history to teach you how to prepare for such events. Living in a gun friendly location is no guarantee that your rights will be protected.

Old 09-29-2012, 11:30 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

In Colorado it is a violation of the State constitution to require people to register their firearms. I think it would be nearly impossible to enforce people turning in their firearms. There is no database other than hand written receipts kept with the dealers. I just don't see it being logistically possible here or many other states.