Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > AR's to avoid

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2012, 03:23 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default AR's to avoid

I'm new to the AR world and am thinking about getting one. My question is that is it worth buying the $1200 colt or saving some dough and getting the ones priced around $500-700?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-22-2012, 03:34 PM   #2

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I say plan on spending 1,000-1,200
Colt, Spikes Tactical, BCM, LMT, LWRC a few to name some!

Old 06-22-2012, 03:34 PM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewna01
I'm new to the AR world and am thinking about getting one. My question is that is it worth buying the $1200 colt or saving some dough and getting the ones priced around $500-700?
Unfortunately it's not as cut and dry as 1200 colt or cheaper 500. There are guns out there that are in between that price range that IMO are just as good if not better than colt such as Bravo company (BCM) or Daniel defense. It just takes some time looking and thinking about what you want if it were me I would go with a BCM, which is actually what I am in the process of doing. You can have one in your lap for under 1k and it will stick with that colt any day. Go look at the new thread colt vs BCM if your curious.

Old 06-22-2012, 03:38 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4462 Times on 2355 Posts
Likes Given: 255

if your only shooting it 100-200 rounds a month and its just a range toy you can live with i dont see anything wrong with a cheap solution. long as you understand the quality is going to be poor at best.

cant count how many folks i see at the local rifle range with junk rifles claiming the ar platform is crap bevause they bought super cheap piece of junk.

if your going to use it a lot, run it hard, expect it perform no matter what, might have to take it to a life or death situation i would recomend getting something like a colt or bcm

if your looking for a tack driving wonder i would recomend something a in the upper end as well.

just depends on your use. if you DO buy cheap just dont complain about that decision later by blaming the gun

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 06-22-2012, 04:13 PM   #5

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

There are a lot of options between $700 and $1000, that are reliable well made rifles. There are dozens of posts on this forum about the options.

Old 06-22-2012, 04:18 PM   #6

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

are there any companies/makers/importers that i should stay away from at any price?

Old 06-22-2012, 04:26 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4462 Times on 2355 Posts
Likes Given: 255

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewna01 View Post
are there any companies/makers/importers that i should stay away from at any price?
thats very subjective. all companies let stinkers out the door now and again. some do it more than others. i dont think your going to find a list of suck here as the folks that tend to congregate on FTF are largerly conservative and prefer to focus on the positive things a product provides rather than focus on the negative.

i dont think your going to get a negative list we tend to prefer giving a positive list

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 06-22-2012, 04:30 PM   #8

Liked 47 Times on 34 Posts

One important question is, what are you planning on doing with it? Are there companies that some of us will avoid like a day at a leper colony? Sure. But, for someone who, as JonM explained, is plinking at the range on the weekend, would be fine for.
But a competitive shooter would require one type, a run and gun type we'd recommend something different, the all around, does it all decent but none to win a trophy type a third, and so on.
There are some that will be qualified as safe queens, as well.
But your intentions are a key part of the corner. I'd recommend reading the stickies at the top of the page to get a basic idea.

What part of 'shall not be infringed' confuses people?

Old 06-22-2012, 04:31 PM   #9

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
thats very subjective. all companies let stinkers out the door now and again. some do it more than others. i dont think your going to find a list of suck here as the folks that tend to congregate on FTF are largerly conservative and prefer to focus on the positive things a product provides rather than focus on the negative.

i dont think your going to get a negative list we tend to prefer giving a positive list
let me clarify...are there any particular models that are not worth the price? i'm not against spending the money it takes to receive quality, but a $600 rifle that shoots as well as a $1200 one is $600 that I can use for something else, like another gun...IDK what do you think?

Old 06-22-2012, 04:37 PM   #10

Liked 47 Times on 34 Posts

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/ar-15-introductions-ars-101-a-62477/

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/ar15-primer-beginners-guide-59600/

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/beginning-process-my-first-ar-build-60158/

I'd really recommend starting with these.
If you're handy with tools, I'd recommend building your own AR lower, then buying a pre-assembled upper, which you can do for less than a grand.

What part of 'shall not be infringed' confuses people?