Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Army Killed New Carbine Because It Wasn’t Twice As Reliable As Current M4

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2013, 04:39 AM   #51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 156 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 171

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Pass that pipe over here sweet cheeks, I want some of what your smoking.

Not saying it ain't great. I've used it myself, and have seen it go through **** that impressed the hell out of me, but greatest ever it ain't.

Best that the US has to offer to the troops in mass availability, at this moment, yeah. It is.
I hope you dont mind if I steal part of your sig
Grant me the victory over my foes and those that wish to harm me and mine. Let not my last thought be “ If only I had my gun” ; and Lord if today is truly the day that You call me home , Let me die in a pile of brass.

Old 06-17-2013, 04:43 AM   #52

Liked 924 Times on 651 Posts
Likes Given: 899

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
Agreed Quentin... However, I've slapped around far too many deserving souls, some of them Mod's, here at FTF... to whine about it when I happen to type 18" instead of 20".

It's all good... and if correcting Tack made someone's day... I'm happy for them!
Ahhh, I bet you were one of those guys using your M16 as a crowbar, Tack... Sheared off the last 2" of the barrel trying to break into the Top 5 Club!

Just kidding!

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 06-17-2013, 04:54 AM   #53

Liked 9193 Times on 5052 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastmode986 View Post

I hope you dont mind if I steal part of your sig
Which part? Can't see on the mobile app. I think there's an opt-in for it, but I have so much trouble with the mobile app right now, I ain't jacking around with it.

Old 06-17-2013, 04:59 AM   #54

Liked 4424 Times on 2146 Posts
Likes Given: 1312

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Ahhh, I bet you were one of those guys using your M16 as a crowbar, Tack... Sheared off the last 2" of the barrel trying to break into the Top 5 Club!

Just kidding!
Haha... Nope... But I did witness a "soft air" attack on a bunch of hookers in the Paradise Club, Son Ju Ri, S Korea!

Of course... I was only there for the billiards.

Tack

Old 06-17-2013, 06:26 AM   #55
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 841 Times on 486 Posts
Likes Given: 339

The Army didn't want to waste even more of our tax money on a weapon it never had any intention of adopting?

Hold the presses, ladies.

Good to hear the Army has finally tired of the circle jerk routine.

The only external piston AR pattern carbine that is of interest to me is Rick Crommett's ICE-15. It's lighter, shorter, and has less recoil than a standard AR pattern carbine.

A larger, heavier external piston carbine that doesn't provide any performance improvement over an AR carbine and little reliability improvement is a lavish waste of money for a government that can't pay its bills.

If the military wants to pay for things that might actually improve the reliability of a stock M4, it could purchase chrome silicon buffer and extractor springs and start buying PMAG's. That's the "leap ahead" technology that I would provide.

Soldiers could earn Geissele triggers by qualifying as "expert" with their service rifle. If you demonstrate exceptional performance with basic equipment then we give you nicer toys to play with.

If the military wants affordable and reliable DMR's that don't need expensive and lengthy testing prior to fielding, it can purchase normal lightweight Remington 700 hunting rifles with plastic stocks and picatinny rails to mount ACOG's on.

Old 06-17-2013, 06:39 AM   #56
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 841 Times on 486 Posts
Likes Given: 339

Quote:
Even Israels new Tavor sports an 11 LB 8 oz trigger?
I thought AUG triggers were bad. Holy cow.

Old 06-17-2013, 06:52 AM   #57

Liked 204 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 164

Quote:
I wonder if we'll ever know who really won, who lost, why and how.
Our kids in the sand box are the losers, this is a shame. At least give them equipment that even we can buy instead of the Colt garbage that they are sending there. And as to the 223, isn't the 6.5 or 6.8 a much better improvement that would only require a barrel replacement?

No wonder we keep getting or butts kicked all over the world. Air support is great, but for small arms I still think we suck. And who was the idiot that thought the 9mm was better than the 45 ACP? I carry one, but the poor slobs (grunts) that need it have to do with a 9 mm.

Jim

Last edited by bigjim; 06-17-2013 at 06:54 AM.

Old 06-17-2013, 09:14 AM   #58

Liked 47 Times on 33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1

When did the combat load drop to 180 rounds? In my day it was 7 mags, 210 rounds of 5.56, 4 Frags, 2 Smokes... and whatever other ordinance may be deemed necessary for the mission.

Tack
That was what I got for OIF 1 6 mags, 180 rounds.

Old 06-17-2013, 09:20 AM   #59

Liked 47 Times on 33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim

Our kids in the sand box are the losers, this is a shame. At least give them equipment that even we can buy instead of the Colt garbage that they are sending there. And as to the 223, isn't the 6.5 or 6.8 a much better improvement that would only require a barrel replacement?

No wonder we keep getting or butts kicked all over the world. Air support is great, but for small arms I still think we suck. And who was the idiot that thought the 9mm was better than the 45 ACP? I carry one, but the poor slobs (grunts) that need it have to do with a 9 mm.

Jim
That's why a lot of the Marines I knew would have us back home ship them higher quality parts to replace on their own, better triggers, Magpul PMags, etc. it's against regs, but it made my buddies feel safer!

Old 06-17-2013, 01:51 PM   #60

Liked 200 Times on 157 Posts
Likes Given: 246

Quote:
When did the combat load drop to 180 rounds? In my day it was 7 mags, 210 rounds of 5.56, 4 Frags, 2 Smokes... and whatever other ordinance may be deemed necessary for the mission.

Tack
Someone thought the troopies needed other stuff. Like stress cards, road guard vests, computers, yada yada.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin