Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Armalite ar in 7.62x39 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/armalite-ar-7-62x39-91504/)

97cobra 05-30-2013 09:08 PM

I have always been a fan on the AK design for it's reliability and because of the surplus of ammunition. I have over the past few stocked up quite a bit of 7.62 and was wondering what the overall verdict here was on this rifle.
I went through MCT and training a while back and now really enjoy the m16/m4 platform and was interested in this rifle. So any words of advice would be helpful. I read an article in rifle firepower that made it seem promising, but sometimes those can be misleading. Thanks in advance.

c3shooter 05-30-2013 09:33 PM

The standard AR lower seemingly has trouble with 7.62x39 mags that are over 10 rounds. The shape of the cartridge seems to mandate large magazines be curved- and you have a straight mag well.

purehavoc 05-30-2013 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 97cobra (Post 1262548)
I have always been a fan on the AK design for it's reliability and because of the surplus of ammunition. I have over the past few stocked up quite a bit of 7.62 and was wondering what the overall verdict here was on this rifle.
I went through MCT and training a while back and now really enjoy the m16/m4 platform and was interested in this rifle. So any words of advice would be helpful. I read an article in rifle firepower that made it seem promising, but sometimes those can be misleading. Thanks in advance.

I just built a 7.62X39 upper but Im having issues with it cycle steel cased mil surplus ammo , they lock up in the chamber and need tapped out . Brass runs fine so Im working on a light hone and polishing the chamber to try to fix my problem . I bought this one priced right in new pieces to use for a hog gun . I dont have a problem using just brass but I would like it to be able to run what ever is available at that moment . I have a bargain price of $338 in the upper you see on this gun minus the optics of course . The 7.62 is a excellent 200 yard gun or CQB round . I wouldnt get one for my first AR setup but It would be a easy choice for my second or third or 4th , LOL
Mags do seem to be a problem , ASC has mags coming back in stock in the next 6-8 weeks and from what I have ready the 30 rd mags work perfectly however some of the other 7.62 mags arent that great and cause feed issues so do your self a favor and find the ASC mags. Right now Im just using a magpul 20 rd mag with 6 rds in it and it works fine so long as you dont try to put rd 7 in it or it wont work

locutus 05-30-2013 11:47 PM

If ya have a ton of 7.62X39, buy an SKS or AK.

Or trade it for a bunch or 5.56X45 and get an AR (I like solution no.2 myself).:)

Quentin 05-31-2013 01:11 AM

You might want to look at the new RRA "AR" that uses actual AK mags. It solves the standard AR's straight magwell issue c3shooter pointed out.

I can't believe I'm recommending RRA over ArmaLite! :D

pawjr74 05-31-2013 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quentin
You might want to look at the new RRA "AR" that uses actual AK mags. It solves the standard AR's straight magwell issue c3shooter pointed out.

I can't believe I'm recommending RRA over ArmaLite! :D

The RRA LAR-47 is a sweet looking set-up. The thought of adding a new round of ammo to my collection right now though makes me cringe. Maybe once ammo comes down to the normal pricing and availability I'll look into a 7.62X39. I'm kinda thinking an SKS may be a good option for the price.

redhorse99 06-01-2013 08:30 PM

I saw that ASC offers the 7.62x39 mags in 10 round. I should be alright using these, right? I know the only way to find out is to buy and try. even with my AR, I like the 20 rounders.

97cobra 06-02-2013 12:47 AM

I'm not a huge fan of RRA but it might be worth a look. I want an AR platform because of how much I've gotten to use the m16 the past few months and now I just want an AR, but I suppose I could always do the suggested and just build one for .223/5.56 thank you all for the advice.

jac 06-02-2013 03:21 PM

I use the Asc 10 and 30 round mags with no problems I just don't like the look of the 30 rounders

purehavoc 06-02-2013 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jac (Post 1265480)
I use the Asc 10 and 30 round mags with no problems I just don't like the look of the 30 rounders

Got a 30 rd you would like to sell ?