ar15 tool, wrench?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > ar15 tool, wrench?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2013, 02:15 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default ar15 tool, wrench?

My BCM M4 stock will be arriving soon, I know I need an AR15 armorer tool to remove my factory A2 stock and install the M4 one. I haven't checked my buffer tube yet to see if it's Milspec or Commercial. My M4 stock is Milspec and has a M4 castle type nut. Is there a specific tool you guys would recommend? I have read several reviews on tools that claim the tools aren't fitting the nuts and have to be ground to fit; my local gun shop has a DPMS tool for about $35.00 but I want to get a good tool not a POS...and this is my first AR, so I don't know much yet.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-08-2013, 02:26 AM   #2

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

I'm not sure why you would need reviews of tools. Just find one that is in stock. The AR-Stoner tool at Midway has some bad reviews. Perhaps you should have just gotten one from BCM when you made the order.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 01-08-2013, 03:38 AM   #3
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 77 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I bought a milspec stock wrench from amazon for like 7 bucks that worked just fine for removing/installing the castle nut. The bad reviews on it all stated that the wrench did not fit the milspec castle nut saying that only one of the three teeth on the wrench would actually make it into one of the holes...but they were using the wrench incorrectly by trying to put the wrench on from directly above the nut when you are supposed to slide the 3 teeth in from the side, not from above. I thought it didn't fit too at first then I finally figured out that I just wasn't using it correctly. So just a word of caution when reading reviews that say the wrench "doesn't fit." If there are a lot of reviews that say its great and a few that say it doesn't fit then it is prob just fine...those few prob just not using it correctly.

Old 01-08-2013, 04:47 AM   #4

Liked 1018 Times on 715 Posts
Likes Given: 1016

I also bought a $7 stock wrench with 3 teeth for the castle nut. It works fine and has a slot to remove the rifle extension.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:07 AM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I purchased the wheeler engineering ar tool for like 20 bucks has common bits that came with it and a torque wrench. Used it to remove and replace my stock worked perfectly.

Old 01-08-2013, 12:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLChris View Post
I'm not sure why you would need reviews of tools. Just find one that is in stock. The AR-Stoner tool at Midway has some bad reviews. Perhaps you should have just gotten one from BCM when you made the order.
BCM was out of stock when I ordered my M4 stock, or else I would've gotten one there. Theres a ton of reviews on Midwayusa and cheaperthandirt from owners that claim thier new wrench either won't work, doesnt fit, broke, stripped, and/or bent. I am simply asking you guys who have the knowledge from actually owning these firearms, what tool/s you have that work well. My local gun shop has a DPMS tool that I was going to buy and try but I dont want to buy it, have it be a POS and then make a hassle with the retailer trying to return it, if I could have prevented it by asking first.

Old 01-08-2013, 12:59 PM   #7

Liked 224 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 308

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99monguse View Post
BCM was out of stock when I ordered my M4 stock, or else I would've gotten one there. Theres a ton of reviews on Midwayusa and cheaperthandirt from owners that claim thier new wrench either won't work, doesnt fit, broke, stripped, and/or bent. I am simply asking you guys who have the knowledge from actually owning these firearms, what tool/s you have that work well. My local gun shop has a DPMS tool that I was going to buy and try but I dont want to buy it, have it be a POS and then make a hassle with the retailer trying to return it, if I could have prevented it by asking first.
Mine from Brownells works fine.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

Old 01-08-2013, 02:27 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 405 Times on 240 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have a dpms wrench and it works fine

My pistols, however, I always kept by me.
Jesse James

Old 01-08-2013, 03:08 PM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

7$ one from amazon worked for me. I hope the stock you bought came with a buffer tube, spring, and buffer because the A2 parts do not interchange with m4 style stock.

Old 01-08-2013, 03:36 PM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I guess if it comes with a castle nut that means it at least has the tube.