Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   ar15 tool, wrench? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/ar15-tool-wrench-80663/)

99monguse 01-08-2013 02:15 AM

ar15 tool, wrench?

My BCM M4 stock will be arriving soon, I know I need an AR15 armorer tool to remove my factory A2 stock and install the M4 one. I haven't checked my buffer tube yet to see if it's Milspec or Commercial. My M4 stock is Milspec and has a M4 castle type nut. Is there a specific tool you guys would recommend? I have read several reviews on tools that claim the tools aren't fitting the nuts and have to be ground to fit; my local gun shop has a DPMS tool for about $35.00 but I want to get a good tool not a POS...and this is my first AR, so I don't know much yet.

CHLChris 01-08-2013 02:26 AM

I'm not sure why you would need reviews of tools. Just find one that is in stock. The AR-Stoner tool at Midway has some bad reviews. Perhaps you should have just gotten one from BCM when you made the order.

LaiePoi 01-08-2013 03:38 AM

I bought a milspec stock wrench from amazon for like 7 bucks that worked just fine for removing/installing the castle nut. The bad reviews on it all stated that the wrench did not fit the milspec castle nut saying that only one of the three teeth on the wrench would actually make it into one of the holes...but they were using the wrench incorrectly by trying to put the wrench on from directly above the nut when you are supposed to slide the 3 teeth in from the side, not from above. I thought it didn't fit too at first then I finally figured out that I just wasn't using it correctly. So just a word of caution when reading reviews that say the wrench "doesn't fit." If there are a lot of reviews that say its great and a few that say it doesn't fit then it is prob just fine...those few prob just not using it correctly.

Quentin 01-08-2013 04:47 AM

I also bought a $7 stock wrench with 3 teeth for the castle nut. It works fine and has a slot to remove the rifle extension.

eric1229 01-08-2013 07:07 AM

I purchased the wheeler engineering ar tool for like 20 bucks has common bits that came with it and a torque wrench. Used it to remove and replace my stock worked perfectly.

99monguse 01-08-2013 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHLChris (Post 1084682)
I'm not sure why you would need reviews of tools. Just find one that is in stock. The AR-Stoner tool at Midway has some bad reviews. Perhaps you should have just gotten one from BCM when you made the order.

BCM was out of stock when I ordered my M4 stock, or else I would've gotten one there. Theres a ton of reviews on Midwayusa and cheaperthandirt from owners that claim thier new wrench either won't work, doesnt fit, broke, stripped, and/or bent. I am simply asking you guys who have the knowledge from actually owning these firearms, what tool/s you have that work well. My local gun shop has a DPMS tool that I was going to buy and try but I dont want to buy it, have it be a POS and then make a hassle with the retailer trying to return it, if I could have prevented it by asking first.

fsted2a 01-08-2013 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 99monguse (Post 1085040)
BCM was out of stock when I ordered my M4 stock, or else I would've gotten one there. Theres a ton of reviews on Midwayusa and cheaperthandirt from owners that claim thier new wrench either won't work, doesnt fit, broke, stripped, and/or bent. I am simply asking you guys who have the knowledge from actually owning these firearms, what tool/s you have that work well. My local gun shop has a DPMS tool that I was going to buy and try but I dont want to buy it, have it be a POS and then make a hassle with the retailer trying to return it, if I could have prevented it by asking first.

Mine from Brownells works fine.

Wiseman3 01-08-2013 02:27 PM

I have a dpms wrench and it works fine

Partridge02 01-08-2013 03:08 PM

7$ one from amazon worked for me. I hope the stock you bought came with a buffer tube, spring, and buffer because the A2 parts do not interchange with m4 style stock.

Partridge02 01-08-2013 03:36 PM

I guess if it comes with a castle nut that means it at least has the tube.