AR15 thoughts
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > AR15 thoughts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2013, 10:21 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default AR15 thoughts

Looking at purchasing my first AR and am interested in some thoughts on the two I've looked at thus far: Daniel Defense and Huldra (Adams Arms).
Looking to use for coyote hunting, shooting for fun, whatever. Obviously opinions from those that have owned or own one of these two AR's are appreciated. With that said any other comparable that I should look at would be helpful.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-06-2013, 10:30 PM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21997 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Gun View Post
Looking at purchasing my first AR and am interested in some thoughts on the two I've looked at thus far: Daniel Defense and Huldra (Adams Arms).
Looking to use for coyote hunting, shooting for fun, whatever. Obviously opinions from those that have owned or own one of these two AR's are appreciated. With that said any other comparable that I should look at would be helpful.
first of all, welcome to the forum! stop over in the Introductions Section and say hello to everyone.

second, they have some excellent stickys at the top of the AR section that might help enlighten you and help you with buying your first AR. with the number of brands of AR's on the market, it can be confusing and daunting for the newb and the first time AR buyer.

first thing is to define it's intended usage. next step is to figure our a budget. these two right here can help with making a good choice when buying.

there will be some others who will come along shortly and be glad to help point you in the right direction.

again welcome to the forum.
Old 12-06-2013, 11:18 PM   #3

Thanks for the welcome! Intended use is as I mentioned. That could change however. My price range is $1500 or less. Looking for thoughts. Thanks again.

Old 12-06-2013, 11:26 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6751 Times on 3669 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

Daniel Defense makes excellent rifles. If you were to visit the M4 forum, you don't have squat unless its a Colt (which is well in your price range).

Palmetto AR's can be had for almost half of what your limit is, and they also have an excellent reputation.

Old 12-07-2013, 03:17 AM   #5

Liked 60 Times on 49 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Gun
Looking at purchasing my first AR and am interested in some thoughts on the two I've looked at thus far: Daniel Defense and Huldra (Adams Arms). Looking to use for coyote hunting, shooting for fun, whatever. Obviously opinions from those that have owned or own one of these two AR's are appreciated. With that said any other comparable that I should look at would be helpful.
Welcome to the forum!

Extremely opinionated post below:

1. I suggest you not waste your money on a piston AR. In my 30 seconds of research it looks like Huldra/Adams Arms is still trying to market the Piston AR. Piston AR's move unnecessary weight towards the muzzle. If a Direct Impingement Commercial Spec Bushmaster carbine can run 10,000 rounds without malfunction, what's there to fix? Go DI or go AK..... (Or add another $1,500 and go SCAR)

2. Daniel Defense ..... Ain't nothing wrong with that!

3. If your primary concern is range fun/cool factor go with 1 x 7 top tier. Your budget will get you into a Daniel Defense, BCM, Colt. However, if your top priority is coyote/general purpose, go with a 1 x 9 twist Rock River Arms. They WILL out group "top tier" rifles with commonly available 55 grain ammo. ****Disclosure: I own a BCM.****

4. After you buy a black rifle based on your current needs, you will probably buy another for future needs.

Once you decide, be sure to post pictures!

Last edited by CamoToe1; 12-07-2013 at 03:22 AM.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 12-07-2013, 05:37 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 203 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamoToe1 View Post
Welcome to the forum!

Extremely opinionated post below:

1. I suggest you not waste your money on a piston AR. In my 30 seconds of research it looks like Huldra/Adams Arms is still trying to market the Piston AR. Piston AR's move unnecessary weight towards the muzzle. If a Direct Impingement Commercial Spec Bushmaster carbine can run 10,000 rounds without malfunction, what's there to fix? Go DI or go AK..... (Or add another $1,500 and go SCAR)

2. Daniel Defense ..... Ain't nothing wrong with that!

3. If your primary concern is range fun/cool factor go with 1 x 7 top tier. Your budget will get you into a Daniel Defense, BCM, Colt. However, if your top priority is coyote/general purpose, go with a 1 x 9 twist Rock River Arms. They WILL out group "top tier" rifles with commonly available 55 grain ammo. ****Disclosure: I own a BCM.****

4. After you buy a black rifle based on your current needs, you will probably buy another for future needs.

Once you decide, be sure to post pictures!
or 3 or 4 or 5 or 6 or.....

Old 12-07-2013, 06:35 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2996 Times on 1561 Posts
Likes Given: 279

For a good rifle look at S&W. The M&P's are every bit as good as a Colt costing several hundred more. We have Colt's, S&W's, and Bushmasters in our inventory. The Smiths have been as problem free as the Colts.

WTS, I own Colt, Bushmaster and High Standard/PSA. Non have given me any trouble and shoot MOA or less

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 12-07-2013, 07:16 AM   #8

Liked 39 Times on 29 Posts

[QUOTE="J-Gun"]Looking at purchasing my first AR and am interested in some thoughts on the two I've looked at thus far: Daniel Defense and Huldra (Adams Arms). Looking to use for coyote hunting, shooting for fun, whatever. Obviously opinions from those that have owned or own one of these two AR's are appreciated. With that said any other comparable that I should look at would be helpful.[/QUOTE

I own a DDm4v5 and my friend just finished his build with a huldra upper on Wednesday! He's more of an AK guy and loved the idea of a piston. That being said he runs a magpul moe handguard and side-by-side we both have similar stocks (magpul STR),sights (troys), etc and believe it or not his piston AR is actually lighter than my DDM4. Both have govt profile barrels.
The only difference is the handguard (rails vs moe+piston).

All things considered my DD has Never failed me not once-not ever! I love it and you will not regret your purchase if you go that route. We've yet to put rounds through the huldra/Adams but were going to the range together on Tue I'll update you with a report if you want to PM me for a review.

IMO
If you really want a piston AND you really want a quality AR just build a PSA with those sexy FN CHF barrels (you can do it for <$800) then buy yourself a nice AK (yugo or saiga 7.62 for $500) and you're flying well below the radar at $1500

Old 12-07-2013, 07:20 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 191 Times on 128 Posts

Palmetto State Armory is best bang for buck. Can't go wrong with Daniel Defense. Just a bit pricey.

If guns kill people, mine are defective.

Old 12-07-2013, 02:05 PM   #10

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts

I would also vote for PSA if you watch them like the stock market builds can be cheap $366 for a full build when they had their black Friday dealse. Watch over the next 20 days for Christmas deals and just place orders as the month goes on the customer service is top notch