Ar15 stock preferences - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Ar15 stock preferences

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2012, 03:50 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 32 Times on 18 Posts

When you reload, you can spread the price out so it doesnt hurt so bad. But then again, the kitchen cabinets and refrigerator are empty. Lol ammunition is just a matter of priority.

And i DO spread the wealth around! Do you think my AR is the only gun i feed???

Last edited by ryguy00; 09-14-2012 at 04:13 PM.
People Like This 
Old 09-14-2012, 04:55 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 234 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsted2a View Post
You will go through many rounds. You will love it. Your girlfriend or wife will leave you because you spend all your money in ammo instead of her. Your car will be repossessed, the bank will foreclose on your home, and you still cannot quit firing it. You will be homeless pushing a grocery cart down town with your AR wrapped in a plastic bag. Ammo will become your crystal meth.
This is my fear.

But the other "slidefire" idea I've been kicking around is setting one up on a S&W M&P 15-22. Then I could afford to shoot it. The thought of a suppressor has even crossed my mind.

Kind of an expensive rimfire project when all is said and done, but at least I could afford to put it work.

Old 09-14-2012, 06:54 PM   #23

Liked 214 Times on 168 Posts
Likes Given: 286

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeper22 View Post
This is my fear.

But the other "slidefire" idea I've been kicking around is setting one up on a S&W M&P 15-22. Then I could afford to shoot it. The thought of a suppressor has even crossed my mind.

Kind of an expensive rimfire project when all is said and done, but at least I could afford to put it work.
If only you could-the problem is a .22 doesn't have enough recoil to bumpfire. Even says so on the slidefire website.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

Old 09-14-2012, 07:02 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsted2a

If only you could-the problem is a .22 doesn't have enough recoil to bumpfire. Even says so on the slidefire website.
It can be done. Requires a lighter buffer/buffer spring and hot loaded 22's. Search for slide fire 22lr on youtube and see what some guys have done to make it work. Really not too difficult from what i recall

Old 09-14-2012, 07:17 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryguy00 View Post
It can be done. Requires a lighter buffer/buffer spring and hot loaded 22's. Search for slide fire 22lr on youtube and see what some guys have done to make it work. Really not too difficult from what i recall
Ok, I am sure if someone has the ability to take a blowback BCG apart and put weaker springs in it,(that is where the buffer assembly is on .22LR AR's) they might be able to get it to work. However, at that point you are starting to get into NFA territory, as you are modifying the internal components. Any time you go inside the upper or lower receiver to enhance your bumpfiring capability, you always run the risk of an ATF visit. As long as you don't have to change anything inside the receiver, you should be good to go. If you can just add more powder to the cartrige to increase recoil, you should be safe from ATF harrassment. But when you start modifying the cycling system, you risk the ATF ruling it a machine gun if you get caught. That is 10 years and a big ass (last I heard it was up to a quarter million bucks) fine.

Old 09-15-2012, 03:00 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsted2a

Ok, I am sure if someone has the ability to take a blowback BCG apart and put weaker springs in it,(that is where the buffer assembly is on .22LR AR's) they might be able to get it to work. However, at that point you are starting to get into NFA territory, as you are modifying the internal components. Any time you go inside the upper or lower receiver to enhance your bumpfiring capability, you always run the risk of an ATF visit. As long as you don't have to change anything inside the receiver, you should be good to go. If you can just add more powder to the cartrige to increase recoil, you should be safe from ATF harrassment. But when you start modifying the cycling system, you risk the ATF ruling it a machine gun if you get caught. That is 10 years and a big ass (last I heard it was up to a quarter million bucks) fine.
I was wrong. I was thinking of lightening buffers and springs to get light 223's to cycle. My mistake. The m&p 15-22's and cmmg dedicated 22lr uppers require no such modifications and work perfectly fine with slide fire stocks. Again, a quick trip over to youtube will demonstrate it.

the atf regulates trigger modifications. You can modify a bolt, springs, buffer, or whatever else you like in any way you like. As long as only one round is fired per pull of the trigger, the atf doesnt care (as far as full auto is concerned). If they were worried about lightening springs and affecting cyclic rate, then competition guns would have been outlawed long ago. If they cared about bump firing, they never would have approved the slide fire stock design in the first place. Of course, they could change their minds at any time, but for now, its all perfectly legal.

Last edited by ryguy00; 09-15-2012 at 03:02 AM.

Old 09-15-2012, 04:21 AM   #27

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

+1 for the ctr.

Not for the friction lock. For the qd mounts and lightweight.

Old 09-15-2012, 01:36 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryguy00 View Post
I was wrong. I was thinking of lightening buffers and springs to get light 223's to cycle. My mistake. The m&p 15-22's and cmmg dedicated 22lr uppers require no such modifications and work perfectly fine with slide fire stocks. Again, a quick trip over to youtube will demonstrate it.

the atf regulates trigger modifications. You can modify a bolt, springs, buffer, or whatever else you like in any way you like. As long as only one round is fired per pull of the trigger, the atf doesnt care (as far as full auto is concerned). . Of course, they could change their minds at any time, but for now, its all perfectly legal.
Bill Adkins (see adkins accelerator) thought along those lines too. He thought wrong. If you have to touch any components inside the receivers, the ATF can come calling. The slide fire has a couple of advantages over the adkins accelerator. 1. No springs used in the process. 2. It proliferated so fast that it would be problematic to force a recall. Look, I am not saying it can't be done, I am just saying watch your step when it involves doing anything inside the receivers. (by the way, U-tube is blocked on the computer I use, so I can't go to any of the vids you mentioned). And a lot of folks have been arrested for doing stuff on youtube, so don't take their word as gospel as far as being legal. If a stock MP 22 can work with the slide fire with no changes, great. Most AR .22LR's can't because of too low recoil. Good luck with whatever you decide to do. I just don't want to read about anyone on this forum having to face the ATF.

Old 09-15-2012, 01:40 PM   #29

Liked 480 Times on 329 Posts

For some reason people may think i like the ctr

forumrunner_20120915_094020.jpg

forumrunner_20120915_094039.jpg

Old 09-15-2012, 08:22 PM   #30
Welcoming Committee/ Resident Pellet Gunner
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 625 Times on 476 Posts
Likes Given: 1111

Best stock ever
Command Arms ARSNL

http://store.commandarms.com/products/ARSNL.html

[COLOR="Blue"]See my pellet guns here: http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/groups/ftf%20pellet%20gunners/air%20gun%20picture%20thread-149/

RESIDENT AIR GUN GUY