Ar15 stock preferences
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Ar15 stock preferences

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2012, 07:06 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Ar15 stock preferences

I'm new to the fire arms talk so haven't had a chance to look through all the threads.
Anyways I've been looking for a new stock for my m16 for a few weeks now. Anyone have any suggestions and pics? Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-13-2012, 12:08 PM   #2
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Welcome to FTF. What are you looking to do with it? Are collapsible stocks legal in your state?

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 09-13-2012, 12:14 PM   #3

Liked 1131 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

It all depends on what your doing with it . Battle rifle its hard to beat a stock type 6 pos collapsible or a MOE stock
If your going to be bench shooting Magpul has your stuff like the PRS
I guessing with as a M16 its going to be a battle rifle

Old 09-13-2012, 02:17 PM   #4

Liked 515 Times on 325 Posts
Likes Given: 952

I don't have a good picture to show you , however I bought DPMS collapsible stock for my AR.

Jeremy

Member: NRA

The constitution of the United States asserts that all power is inherent in the people, that they may exercise it by themselves, that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed!” – Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 09-13-2012, 02:26 PM   #5

Liked 3859 Times on 1864 Posts
Likes Given: 701

Is it a full auto M16? If so, I recommend the slide fire stock. I've heard if you bump fire a full auto it makes it into an all encompassing death ray.

America has fought wars across the globe, because we kept our firearms while others let dictators take theirs...

People Like This 
Old 09-13-2012, 02:34 PM   #6

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosin View Post
Is it a full auto M16? If so, I recommend the slide fire stock. I've heard if you bump fire a full auto it makes it into an all encompassing death ray.
Man I herd a full auto with a slidefire will put 30 rounds in one raged hole at 50 yards!

Unless your rifle is a 20" and select/auto fire, it is an AR15.

STR
CTR
ACS
ACS-L
IMOD
EMOD
SOPMOD

Are probably the most popular. Its hard to say which is best. Its kind of a personal choice as everyone's face is different.

Old 09-13-2012, 02:34 PM   #7

Yes any stock is legal in my states. And as far as what I'm looking for Its a tactical rifle with only a light at the moment. Prefer it to be an adjustable but there are pros for fixed stocks. I am currently on my second collapsible factory stock and wanting to move on from it. Also it is soon to have an ambidextrous safety and mag release so the stock must be left handed friendly.

Old 09-13-2012, 03:18 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1143 Times on 745 Posts
Likes Given: 678

my vote is for the magpul ACS-L.. but thats just me

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 09-13-2012, 03:25 PM   #9

Liked 222 Times on 175 Posts
Likes Given: 299

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jones25 View Post
Yes any stock is legal in my states. And as far as what I'm looking for Its a tactical rifle with only a light at the moment. Prefer it to be an adjustable but there are pros for fixed stocks. I am currently on my second collapsible factory stock and wanting to move on from it. Also it is soon to have an ambidextrous safety and mag release so the stock must be left handed friendly.
Might I suggest you find one with either a lip or notched hole at bottom dead center? The reason I say this is there are buttstock assemblies and lower receivers out there whose threads are not cnc'd, which means the thread can start anywhere. The end result may mean a collapsable buttstock tube may end up canted a few degrees off when you screw it over the buffer detente. If you have a timing lip or a notched tube, that won't be an issue. Bushmaster 6 pos stocks have the lip, and a few have the notch (POF is one).

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

Old 09-13-2012, 04:03 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 248 Times on 195 Posts
Likes Given: 32

If you want the ultimate custom fit stock for whatever your needs might be...well, that's something I probably can't help you with. Only you can truly solve that dilemma.

I've got the Magpul MOE on a couple of relatively "higher end" rifles and I'm extremely pleased with them. I like that it's a clean, simple, light, and affordable design. I find it comfortable, with a nice tight lock-up, and it weighs next to nothing. Those are my priorities, perhaps they're not yours. I'm sure there are plenty of legitimate of reasons to choose the more expensive choices. I haven't discovered those reasons yet for my own applications. If I wanted to spend more like $100+ for an epic cheek weld and extra compartments, I'd look into some of the higher end offerings from Magpul and Vltor. I'm sure they're great.

But I like MOE's design...light, affordable, simple, functional. I dislike anything that weighs more than it ought to or results unnecessary rattle, movement, and play. Give me clean, simple, and featherweight all day long. The MOE is just that. And it'll only set you back about $60.