Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Ar15 stock preferences (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/ar15-stock-preferences-72335/)

Jones25 09-13-2012 08:06 AM

Ar15 stock preferences

I'm new to the fire arms talk so haven't had a chance to look through all the threads.
Anyways I've been looking for a new stock for my m16 for a few weeks now. Anyone have any suggestions and pics? Thanks

mountainman13 09-13-2012 01:08 PM

Welcome to FTF. What are you looking to do with it? Are collapsible stocks legal in your state?

purehavoc 09-13-2012 01:14 PM

It all depends on what your doing with it . Battle rifle its hard to beat a stock type 6 pos collapsible or a MOE stock
If your going to be bench shooting Magpul has your stuff like the PRS
I guessing with as a M16 its going to be a battle rifle

PC167 09-13-2012 03:17 PM

I don't have a good picture to show you , however I bought DPMS collapsible stock for my AR.

Mosin 09-13-2012 03:26 PM

Is it a full auto M16? If so, I recommend the slide fire stock. I've heard if you bump fire a full auto it makes it into an all encompassing death ray.

AgentTikki 09-13-2012 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mosin (Post 939074)
Is it a full auto M16? If so, I recommend the slide fire stock. I've heard if you bump fire a full auto it makes it into an all encompassing death ray.

Man I herd a full auto with a slidefire will put 30 rounds in one raged hole at 50 yards!

Unless your rifle is a 20" and select/auto fire, it is an AR15.

STR
CTR
ACS
ACS-L
IMOD
EMOD
SOPMOD

Are probably the most popular. Its hard to say which is best. Its kind of a personal choice as everyone's face is different.

Jones25 09-13-2012 03:34 PM

Yes any stock is legal in my states. And as far as what I'm looking for Its a tactical rifle with only a light at the moment. Prefer it to be an adjustable but there are pros for fixed stocks. I am currently on my second collapsible factory stock and wanting to move on from it. Also it is soon to have an ambidextrous safety and mag release so the stock must be left handed friendly.

jjfuller1 09-13-2012 04:18 PM

my vote is for the magpul ACS-L.. but thats just me

fsted2a 09-13-2012 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jones25 (Post 939090)
Yes any stock is legal in my states. And as far as what I'm looking for Its a tactical rifle with only a light at the moment. Prefer it to be an adjustable but there are pros for fixed stocks. I am currently on my second collapsible factory stock and wanting to move on from it. Also it is soon to have an ambidextrous safety and mag release so the stock must be left handed friendly.

Might I suggest you find one with either a lip or notched hole at bottom dead center? The reason I say this is there are buttstock assemblies and lower receivers out there whose threads are not cnc'd, which means the thread can start anywhere. The end result may mean a collapsable buttstock tube may end up canted a few degrees off when you screw it over the buffer detente. If you have a timing lip or a notched tube, that won't be an issue. Bushmaster 6 pos stocks have the lip, and a few have the notch (POF is one).

sweeper22 09-13-2012 05:03 PM

If you want the ultimate custom fit stock for whatever your needs might be...well, that's something I probably can't help you with. Only you can truly solve that dilemma.

I've got the Magpul MOE on a couple of relatively "higher end" rifles and I'm extremely pleased with them. I like that it's a clean, simple, light, and affordable design. I find it comfortable, with a nice tight lock-up, and it weighs next to nothing. Those are my priorities, perhaps they're not yours. I'm sure there are plenty of legitimate of reasons to choose the more expensive choices. I haven't discovered those reasons yet for my own applications. If I wanted to spend more like $100+ for an epic cheek weld and extra compartments, I'd look into some of the higher end offerings from Magpul and Vltor. I'm sure they're great.

But I like MOE's design...light, affordable, simple, functional. I dislike anything that weighs more than it ought to or results unnecessary rattle, movement, and play. Give me clean, simple, and featherweight all day long. The MOE is just that. And it'll only set you back about $60.