Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Ar15 Rear Takedown Detent.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2013, 12:09 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Ar15 Rear Takedown Detent.

Hello, I was recently at the range and I was removing the lower receiver and web I pulled the rear takedown pin, I used a little too much force and pulled it out and lost the detent... Anyways I was wondering what the dimensions of that rear detent were so I could make one real quick at work.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-22-2013, 03:08 PM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2343 Times on 1170 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Zero,

Have you had the stock off of the weapon? If you have that is probably when you lost it. Due to if you over pull the take down pin to the point of the take down pin detente coming out of the receiver you would have damaged the receiver where the head of the take down pin setts down in the recess on the receiver. You will as you probably know, have to back off your stock or End Plate Adapter and Castle Nut slightly to reassemble the Take Down Pin the the Detente followed lastly by the Detente Spring. Is the spring damaged also. It is also a good idea to apply a little pressure to the rear of the spring when inserted and work the Take Down Pin to assure the Detente is in the Track on the Pin and works well. The Take Down Pin Detente as well as the Pivot Pin Detente dimensions are as follows. They have a slight taper to a point on the end that rides in the track on the Take Down Pin. Most have a slight point on both ends as you buy them so it does not make any difference to how you install them. If tapered only on one end the point must go to the track and the flat to the spring. If you have a problem with making or finding a pin PM me! Additional: You do not need quite as much taper as the samples below. Best I could do as far as shape on my computer.

Length .335
Diameter .090

pivot-take-down-pin-samples.jpg  

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Last edited by Sniper03; 01-22-2013 at 03:38 PM.
treehugger49 Likes This 
Old 01-23-2013, 03:29 AM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks so much Sniper03