AR15 problems please Help - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > AR15 problems please Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2012, 04:42 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1146 Times on 803 Posts
Likes Given: 1162

Polished the feed ramps... Can you describe this better, how much polishing?

The reason I ask is from the first to second BCG pictures it looks like you rounded off the bolt lugs. I wouldn't have done that. We can't see the other side of the lugs but if you really went to town on that side you may have messed up the headspacing.

I notice that your barrel has M4 feed ramps but the receiver doesn't. That's ok but not ideal. Probably won't matter in a 20" barrel though.
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek

Old 11-30-2012, 04:59 PM   #12

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I check my headspace with the gage and it was with in spec. Polished out with polishing compound and a dremol tool. The bcg had some work done. There was some machine burrs that were obstructing the bcg from locking properly. Ill let u know hoe it shoots . Ill take it out for a test tomorrow. Thanx for ur advise

Old 12-01-2012, 11:24 PM   #13

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

AR 15 uppdate,. It was a No go.. FTF again. Dam it gets me,so frustrated. Now im sure there is an issue,with the,upper. Im going to send it back to the manufacture for proper repair. I made a small video at the range to show,uou guys. It fired once in the video but the second one was a ftf. The range master couldn't figure out the issue. He mentioned that i need a new extractor. Due to failure to eject. But he didn't know why it FTF. Well check out the video . Thanx for,your,help

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psMnMGMrS10&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Old 12-01-2012, 11:37 PM   #14

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 19

So you have primer indentations, but it isn't firing.

What kind of ammo are you shooting?

Try a different bolt carrier group or try another firing pin in that bolt group.

Try a different lower receiver (one with a full rifle stock). The action spring could be sending the bolt forward with such force that it is causing the bolt to bounce back slightly upon locking, which could cause a failure to fire. This typically doesn't happen in semi-automatic rifles, but it's not impossible.

Last edited by Scorpion; 12-01-2012 at 11:50 PM.

Old 12-01-2012, 11:59 PM   #15

Liked 781 Times on 452 Posts
Likes Given: 499

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicthrash View Post
AR 15 uppdate,. It was a No go.. FTF again. Dam it gets me,so frustrated. Now im sure there is an issue,with the,upper. Im going to send it back to the manufacture for proper repair. I made a small video at the range to show,uou guys. It fired once in the video but the second one was a ftf. The range master couldn't figure out the issue. He mentioned that i need a new extractor. Due to failure to eject. But he didn't know why it FTF. Well check out the video . Thanx for,your,help

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psMnMGMrS10&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Be prepared for the possibility that the manufacturer is going to charge you for the repairs if they detect that you took a dremil to the feed ramps, especially if you polished them out of spec or damaged the lugs in any way. Same thing for the bolt...
"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 12-02-2012, 01:51 AM   #16

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Scorpion, i was shooting Winchester 45 gr, 556 ammo.

I had tried my friends bcg and lower with my upper last week and it did the same thing. , i tried my lower and bcg on his upper and it worked perfectly. I understand what u mean about the stock. That is not the original stock it came with. I switched it.
And,i understand the manufacure might charge me. . But i need my gun running smooth. I did a light polish not removing or grinding down any metal pieces . For the ramp, thank u guys anyway ill see what the manufacture says.
I understand due to the high rate of AR sales and the so many back orders they seem to just be slaping theye guns together and not taking a close look at the inspections . Well we will se whats up.. Thanx again

Old 12-02-2012, 02:04 AM   #17

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

What kind of stock did you have on the rifle at first?

It is now established that it most likely isn't your BCG causing the issue. I'm thinking you just need to put a full rifle stock (or an A5 stock) on there, or switch your buffer to an H2 buffer to slow down the cyclic rate so the bolt won't slam into the barrel extension so hard.

Just my opinion. It's difficult to diagnose issues over the internet. Good luck with getting it fixed.

Old 12-03-2012, 10:06 PM   #18

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hey scorpion just to give u an update. my old stock was a A2 style stock. my current one is a collapsible ajustable stock from amazon it was about $40. . Ultimate arms gear tactical. I think.. I will buy the H2 buffer this week. Will get the spikes tactical. Or any recommendation? Should i get a new buffer spring too. And if yes what type of spring do i get for that stock? What legth spring should i get .
Im going to hold off on sending it back untill i try this new h2 buffer. Hopefully ill test it this week as soon as the buffer gets here
I never knew there can be so many complications for a AR 15 but im learning a great deal im sure for my next build there will be no issues

I have a 20 in upper . Now i remember when i switched my lower and bcg on his upper it fired. I think its because his is 16 upper not a 20inch
Thanx again scorpion ill keep u posted

Old 12-03-2012, 10:18 PM   #19

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I figured as much, and I'm almost certain that the buffer currently in yours is a regular carbine buffer.

It can be a little complicated to get a 20" barreled upper working with a carbine lower. Make SURE the buffer is an H2 buffer and not an ST-T2 buffer; I don't know the reciprocal weight for the ST-T2 buffer and am not sure if that would work with your rifle as it is configured.

The H2 buffer has the same reciprocal weight as your old rifle buffer and would slow the cyclic rate down a bit, perhaps enough to permit proper function.

You should already have a carbine spring in there; that is the only spring that will fit in the stock.

Last edited by Scorpion; 12-04-2012 at 12:36 PM.

Old 12-07-2012, 05:35 PM   #20

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Going to buy a new upper with bcg any recommendations ? I dont want to spend more than 500