Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > ar15 problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2011, 01:37 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 38 Times on 14 Posts

Default ar15 problems

I have two ARs. One is a PWA and the other a factory colt. I just put on two sets of KNS anti walk anti rotate pins. In the PWA they seem to work fine. but I put the other set in the Colt and noticed that when I charged the bolt back it would lock up going forward. I had to pull the trigger and at the same time pull the bolt back and then release it with trigger pulled to get it to go into battery. I removed the pins and put back in the old set and the bolt worked fine again. The Colt is a 96 made with 800 rounds through it. I think the pins are a bit small for the colt and allow the hammer to rise just a bit to lock up the bolt. I put them in exactly like instructed with the anti rotate pin going into the hammer [the pin with ears]

The other problem I have is that I have four mags 20 rounds each a colt mag that over strips rounds on three mags. All of the problem mags are all plastic followers and all the mags are colt. The two with aluminum followers seem to work OK. Has anyone had this problem and is there a fix? The mags are good except for this. Is there a stronger spring that can make them work ok? Or maybe new followers?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-29-2011, 04:35 AM   #2

Liked 949 Times on 671 Posts
Likes Given: 946

Sounds like you have a large pin Colt so the standard pins won't work. Fortunately you really don't need the KNS pins so it's not anything to worry about. I suppose you could check and see if they make a set for the older Colts.

I have a couple Colt 20rd mags with plastic followers that work reliably so can only say that yours should work. Don't know what to say other than try more magazines if you have access to them. Maybe it's time to replace the magazines with PMAGs or standard GI.

Last edited by Quentin; 01-29-2011 at 04:38 AM.

Old 01-29-2011, 04:39 AM   #3

Liked 38 Times on 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Sounds like you have a large pin Colt so the standard pins won't work. Fortunately you really don't need the KNS pins so it's not anything to worry about. I suppose you could check and see if they make a set for the older Colts.

I have a couple Colt 20rd mags with plastic followers that work reliably so can only say that yours should work. Don't know what to say other than try more magazines if you have access to them.
I think your right. The pins are noticeably larger than the ones that came out of my PAC west rec. The dif. must be enough to allow the hammer to move and lock up the bolt. I ordered the correct ones. I really like the no rotate and move system. I have also ordered the SS no tilt followers. They were only 3 each from Midway. I will give them a try.

Old 01-30-2011, 03:42 AM   #4

Liked 650 Times on 368 Posts
Likes Given: 5125

definitely wrong pin size(s), if the SS followers start giving you problems, try the anti-tilt P-Mag followers.

Last edited by USEBOTHHANDS; 01-30-2011 at 11:41 PM.