AR15 Primer - A Beginner's Guide - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > AR15 Primer - A Beginner's Guide

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2012, 06:23 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Thanks Tikki for your insight. This article was awesome and the most helpful to get me started. Your a wise man, and when it comes time for me to start my project. I hope that you take me under your wing to guide me thru my right n wrong decisions down the road.

Old 04-03-2012, 11:53 PM   #32

Liked 339 Times on 265 Posts
Likes Given: 51

This chart was provided by Deiselpower @ Calguns.net as a chart to help you visualize what today's common twist rates are compatible with.

Please keep in mind that this is a generalization as twist rates correlate to the projectiles overal length, NOT weight. Notable expections are M855 steel core, and frangible projectiles.

Thx fer suggesting me to put this up Q! Much obliged!
People Like This 
Old 04-11-2012, 04:34 AM   #33

Another Great Resource:

The Calgun's Acronym Page
http://calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=78606

Old 04-11-2012, 04:46 AM   #34

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

my 1:7 BCM handles 45gr fine out to 100. but when I give it the xm855 the group does tighten right up. Nice chart by the way

Old 04-11-2012, 04:54 AM   #35

So OfMG, there I was buying SGN at my LGS and this LEO asks if the DROS required a COE. AFAIK only civilians needed a COE so I grabbed my GF, EDC, BOB and BUG (I have a CCW/CCP) and whispered to my BF "FNG". Don't they teach him that POST? He then pointed at a LTR or was it a POF, wasn't a POS. He then stated his PG BM UAW had a RDIAS, and it wasn't NFA but he was LEO so it didn't matter even if we where in the PRK. I wanted to get out of there because everyone know that LGS's spread FUD and I wanted out before SHTF and they started TEOTWAWKI. Didn't want to get into it because I like my RKBA and explaining the law to a LEO is a PITA, this maybe TIA, but IIRC YMMV.

Old 04-11-2012, 04:55 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat4sti View Post
my 1:7 BCM handles 45gr fine out to 100. but when I give it the xm855 the group does tighten right up. Nice chart by the way
The chart does not say that it won't, I just says its not the best choice. What kind of groups where you getting?

Old 04-11-2012, 04:57 AM   #37

Liked 78 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki View Post
So OfMG, there I was buying SGN at my LGS and this LEO asks if the DROS required a COE. AFAIK only civilians needed a COE so I grabbed my GF, EDC, BOB and BUG (I have a CCW/CCP) and whispered to my BF "FNG". Don't they teach him that POST? He then pointed at a LTR or was it a POF, wasn't a POS. He then stated his PG BM UAW had a RDIAS, and it wasn't NFA but he was LEO so it didn't matter even if we where in the PRK. I wanted to get out of there because everyone know that LGS's spread FUD and I wanted out before SHTF and they started TEOTWAWKI. Didn't want to get into it because I like my RKBA and explaining the law to a LEO is a PITA, this maybe TIA, but IIRC YMMV.
Damn. Now I need aspirin.

Old 04-11-2012, 05:01 AM   #38

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

well they weren't spinning themselves apart like i have heard that they do. Minute of man...my buddy had a box and i wanted to give a few a shot. so i shoot maybe about 10... they didn't break apart or key hole is my point.

Old 04-11-2012, 05:19 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat4sti View Post
well they weren't spinning themselves apart like i have heard that they do. Minute of man...my buddy had a box and i wanted to give a few a shot. so i shoot maybe about 10... they didn't break apart or key hole is my point.
That's great man! (recap) Looks like your 1:9 twist BCM Barrel doesn't over stabilize a 45 grain bullet at 100 yards. Please keep in mind the chart is not perfect. It is oversimplified. Its should only be used as a general guideline. All barrels are not the same, I'm sure there are other BCM 1:9 twists that aren't so kind to shorter projectiles.

BTW what kind of bullet was it? Is it a varminting HP non lead core bullet?

Old 04-11-2012, 11:44 AM   #40

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki
This chart was provided by Deiselpower @ Calguns.net as a chart to help you visualize what today's common twist rates are compatible with.

Please keep in mind that this is a generalization as twist rates correlate to the projectiles overal length, NOT weight. Notable expections are M855 steel core, and frangible projectiles.

Thx fer suggesting me to put this up Q! Much obliged!
Nice to know