AR15 Primer - A Beginner's Guide - Page 13
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

AR15 Primer - A Beginner's Guide

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2014, 09:17 PM   #121
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 340 Times on 265 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer View Post
Wow! As someone who is considering an AR purchase, this was fantastic. There was so much I didn't know. Now I feel armed with at least some basics to consider when making the purchase.

On quick follow up question:
I likely won't build my first AR. However, if I purchase one, like the Colt or Daniel Defense, are they pretty easy to modify? For example, if the model I purchase doesn't have a quadrail but I want to add one. I seems like they are, based on the information you supplied, but I want to be sure.
Thank you for the kind words!

As for your question, yes. Unless you get the colt with the monolithic upper or the SP901 you should no issues adding aftermarket components! Difficulty in changing handgaurds will be mostly dependent on the specifics of the handgaurds you choose. Look for a model that uses the factory barrel nut for the easiest install.

Good luck in your search and as always, post lots of pron!

Tikki.

Old 02-11-2014, 04:34 PM   #122
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Default Awesome job

Just want to thank you for a great job. I have lead friends to your thread when asking about ar15 info. Its a lot easier than trying to explain it all. This way I can help with just explain some of the confusion. I have had an ar15 for many years and just bought a slightly used ar10. I reload my ammo to keep myself busy due to a spinal injury. I was very surprised at the accuracy increase of the .308 round. Thanks again to you and all the contributors on here. I have just spent about 3 hours on this site and will be back for a lot more info. One thing I would like to say to anyone new like me, my Dad taught us that there is never a dumb question. You can learn so much by asking even simple questions. People here do not ridicule others for their questions.

Last edited by Dan1960; 02-11-2014 at 05:02 PM.

Old 02-11-2014, 05:15 PM   #123

Hi and welcome to the forums! Thank you for you kind words!

Unfortunately, I don't have much experience with reloading. I have just recently purchased a press and and researching other components and saving money to purchase them. I don't have much working knowledge so I'm not a good resource at the moment. There are many other great members here that have been reloading for years and I'm sure they'll chime in with great nuggets of knowledge. Since 223/556 is such a popular caliber I'm sure there's lots of recipes out there that will fit your needs!

Also check out the reloading pages on this forum!

Old 02-11-2014, 05:28 PM   #124

Liked 3241 Times on 1624 Posts
Likes Given: 426

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan1960 View Post
I have owned my ar15 for at least 10 years and recently bought a slightly used ar10. Due to the shortage in ammo a short time ago, I decided to get into reloading. I have not done any 5.56 yet but I have for the .308 and was amazed at the accuracy increase over factory Winchester. Would you have the information to find the best place to find information on bullet, powder and primers for reloading 5.56. Your primer here has shown you are extremely knowledgeable with the AR platform. As I was taught from my father, there is no such thing as a dumb question. Thanks you for your time and article
Note: I claim no expert status where reloading is concerned. That said, I am fairly experienced with pistol cartridges. Still learning rifle stuff.

FWIW, my experience reloading for a AR was pleasantly surprising. I built some test loads with some Remington 55gr bulk bullets using AA 2460 and without much in the way of drama, was on my way. About mid-way through my test loads I noticed that my groups were smaller than the PMC factory stuff I was using. As I progressed though the test series, groups kept closing up. This was without playing with overall length or other such variables or getting deep into the weeds with component selection. Just middle of the road settings with middle of the road components for the most part. Someone who spent a lot of time playing with the variables should be able to achieve truly impressive results. My reliability was 100 percent and there were no negative issues to contend with.
Long story short, on my first attempt, I was able to build ammo that cut groups sizes in half vs. decent (if not stunning) factory ammo.
As for "Best" choices, that would be highly subjective. My selection process was probably a bit too low tech for many.
I ordered a box of cheap bullets online.
I went into my reloading books and picked several powder options from the middle of the list. Not too fast, not too slow seemed the best starting point for my first attempt with a rifle cartridge. The one I found in stock at the time for the best price was what I bought.
Bought a brick of primers.
Processed some of my range pick up brass. (Sorted by head stamp. Trimmed with a Lee hand trimmer tool. Full length sized with Lee Dies.)
Went to work building a variety of test loads.

Unfortunately these days, finding what you want can be a problem. I find myself settling for "close enough" where powder & bullets are concerned. If supplies where you are are good, then you're ahead of me.
NRA Life Member

The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see. - Ayn Rand

Old 02-12-2014, 05:12 PM   #125
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Default Cautions on reloading semiauto ammo

I found this article about reloading for service type semi auto guns. Here is the link and I believe it will explain the do's and don'ts and what to keep in mind. http://www.exteriorballistics.com/reloadbasics/gasgunreload.cfm AgentTikki's primer is similar to the quality of this article on ar15 reloading. But I have to admit Tikki makes his seem more understanding for new onwers. again ty

Last edited by Dan1960; 02-12-2014 at 05:19 PM.

Old 04-12-2014, 02:34 PM   #126

Liked 17 Times on 8 Posts

Default AR15 Primer - A Beginner's Guide

Is it cheaper to buy a complete upper or to buy the upper and parts plus barrel separately?

Forgot to mention I'm looking to do a cheaper pistol build. I already purchased a blemished lower from PSA and they have some non complete uppers on sale. Just trying to keep it as cheap as I can.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Last edited by FearTheFree7; 04-12-2014 at 02:56 PM.

Old 04-12-2014, 03:29 PM   #127

PSA is pretty darn cheap. You usually cannot build it for cheaper, but they usually don't have the configuration that you want. Figure most forged complete upper recivers are $100, a good chrome lined barrel about $250, barrel nut $15, gas block $50 on up , then you have handguards from $30 on to 400.........

It all really depends on what you want.

Old 04-12-2014, 03:46 PM   #128
deg
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 762 Times on 512 Posts
Likes Given: 1702

I see I have lots of reading on this post - looking forward to it.

Old 04-12-2014, 04:26 PM   #129

Liked 355 Times on 261 Posts
Likes Given: 358

Ok so this thread has been around for a long time, looks like.

The main thing to remember, and never forget, is to bring a hammer and flathead screwdriver with you everywhere whenever you have your AR with you, or any of it's copycats.

Because after several hours of firing, nonstop, they are going to ultimately jam on you, and you won't be able to get the bolt open without beating it open with the screwdriver and hammer.

Saw that on the range last weekend as the guy next to me with his AR was trying to keep up with me and my Ruger Mini 14 Ranch.

The range master had to come over and beat it open for him eventually. No problems at all with the Ruger Mini.

Last edited by Shoobee; 04-12-2014 at 04:28 PM.

Old 04-12-2014, 04:49 PM   #130

Liked 17 Times on 8 Posts

Is this a good deal? Thanks for the input

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/psa-ar15-upper-build-kit-blem-stripped-upper.html

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk