AR15 Primer - A Beginner's Guide - Page 12
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > AR15 Primer - A Beginner's Guide

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2013, 11:39 PM   #111
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasnow View Post
Hi, I am knew to the forum, been stalking everyone here. This thread has informed me allot about an AR15. I have been thinking about getting one, then seen and read about building an AR. I just have to decide like in the beginning stated how do I want to use it, caliber, and other stuff.

My husband feels that AR style rifles are just for military that I have to convince him...
He wont need much convincing.....just show up home wearing a beautiful AR15 and I'm sure he'll be head over heels!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcilten View Post
I'm glad I was turned on to this post from another tread I was reading! Very informative, defiantly opened my eyes on stuff to think about. I have a stripped lower, and after Rguns screwed me for 5 months, I got so fed up cancelled my order, I had no idea where to go with it. Now, thanks to you, and other threads I have reputable companies and information to help me along! Much appreciated!
Exactly what I was hoping to do when writing this. I tried my best to me impartial, and tried to separate fact from fiction when compiling all the data to write this up. I'm very happy to have helped you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensei9 View Post
Great post. While new to this forum, I'm not new to AR15s. Spent 5 years in the Army working on them and have built a few since I got out (so many years ago). So many thing have changed since then. Hell all we had was the M16A1 or the occasional XM177E.
Thanks! I'm very curious to learn things from your experience! Please do share!

Old 10-17-2013, 05:38 PM   #112

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

My experience. Well not much to tell really. Didn't have all the fancy tools in the '80s when I was in the army. No tool for the front take down detent, used a small thin flat tip screw driver. Work real good too. Did have to change a barrel once, and didn't have a set of barrel vice jaws. Had to use the field expedient method of changing a barrel. Used a jack, 2 pieces of 2X4, 2 crushed soda cans, and a truck frame, while in the field at Ft. Hood. Once used the rear loading ramp on a 113 to remove a barrel, of course the barrel was bent from being caught in the side of the ramp. Lots of fun back in the day

Old 10-17-2013, 06:32 PM   #113
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2200 Times on 1218 Posts
Likes Given: 280

This is the best article on buying your first AR that I've read. I think its one of the best stickies on here.

Nobody said anything.....about Glocks until you posted about your bacon dog who needs dentures.

What did somebody forget to engage their safety and shoot the dogs front teeth out? Or are we blaming that on the Glock shooters?

"Gaston, the Doggy dentist's best friend."

Old 11-17-2013, 02:32 PM   #114

Great post. I am new to the AR world, even though I have carried and used the M4. I've been wanting one for awhile now, but I really didn't know where to start. I'm still debating the build versus buy. As far as building I have no tools to build one plus I'm not sure exactly what brands to use for what parts. Any input on how to go about it and what to use for specific parts. As far as getting a built one, I've been looking at the BCM, LWRC, Spikes Tactical, and a new company Miltac Industries. They have only been shipping out for about 10 days, have any of you guys heard anything good or bad about them?

Old 11-18-2013, 10:25 PM   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitman_airforce View Post
Great post. I am new to the AR world, even though I have carried and used the M4. I've been wanting one for awhile now, but I really didn't know where to start. I'm still debating the build versus buy. As far as building I have no tools to build one plus I'm not sure exactly what brands to use for what parts. Any input on how to go about it and what to use for specific parts. As far as getting a built one, I've been looking at the BCM, LWRC, Spikes Tactical, and a new company Miltac Industries. They have only been shipping out for about 10 days, have any of you guys heard anything good or bad about them?

Nope sorry never heard of them. I'd stay away from new companies and go for companies with proven reputations and track records.
rocshaman Likes This 
Old 12-02-2013, 07:18 PM   #116

Liked 19 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Agent, I have been meaning to read this thread in its entirety for quite some time now & just now got around to it. I've been very busy with work & other projects. Actually what did was to print your OP, & took my time reading it trying to soak up every bit of info I can. Let me say THANK YOU for taking the time to help newcomers like myself to the arena of AR,s. I'm in the proccess of purchasing all the parts for my 1st build. I have an Essential Arms stripped lower, CMMG lower parts kit, Spikes Tactical BCG, & upper, & I'm willing to give ferritic nitrocarburizing a try having read your comments about it, so I just now purchased from CMMG a W.A.S.P. Treated (FNC) 16" LE barrel assembly. I cant find one with a suppressor installed so I'll probably have to send it off for that. I CANT WAIT to get started!! BRD is setting in..... Is there any hope???

Old 12-03-2013, 09:46 PM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnklump View Post
Agent, I have been meaning to read this thread in its entirety for quite some time now & just now got around to it. I've been very busy with work & other projects. Actually what did was to print your OP, & took my time reading it trying to soak up every bit of info I can. Let me say THANK YOU for taking the time to help newcomers like myself to the arena of AR,s. I'm in the proccess of purchasing all the parts for my 1st build. I have an Essential Arms stripped lower, CMMG lower parts kit, Spikes Tactical BCG, & upper, & I'm willing to give ferritic nitrocarburizing a try having read your comments about it, so I just now purchased from CMMG a W.A.S.P. Treated (FNC) 16" LE barrel assembly. I cant find one with a suppressor installed so I'll probably have to send it off for that. I CANT WAIT to get started!! BRD is setting in..... Is there any hope???
There is no hope for you...... just pray its not terminal....

Old 12-03-2013, 10:33 PM   #118
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2800 Times on 1632 Posts
Likes Given: 1623

Just gotta throw more props your way AgentTikki, that was a concise, no-nonsense primer that I found to be as educational and straightforward as any treatise on the AR platform I have read!

Thank you!

Sent from my (_E=MC² _)

We do not choose our future, we choose our habits and our habits dictate our future. - anonymous

We are all biodegradable.

Old 12-30-2013, 07:15 AM   #119
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 216 Times on 187 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Not sure where to post this useful video, got it from X-Mark (Rogtac). Thought of just sharing it here in this thread.
Hope you don't mind AT.
It's about Spike's & BCM BCGs. I have both and they both do the job done very well.

Www.YouTube.com/watch?v=c2Hk7zeVVXU

Old 01-24-2014, 02:03 AM   #120

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Wow! As someone who is considering an AR purchase, this was fantastic. There was so much I didn't know. Now I feel armed with at least some basics to consider when making the purchase.

On quick follow up question:
I likely won't build my first AR. However, if I purchase one, like the Colt or Daniel Defense, are they pretty easy to modify? For example, if the model I purchase doesn't have a quadrail but I want to add one. I seems like they are, based on the information you supplied, but I want to be sure.