AR15: parents don't want one, say its a "machine gun" - Page 5
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

AR15: parents don't want one, say its a "machine gun"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2009, 01:31 AM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

thats good always follow those guidelines and you and the parents will always have that great respect for each other, also kudos on the good fight and im glad you prevailed

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- Dr. Johnson

"..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.." - Samuel Adams

your my best friend but if the zombies start chasing us im tripping you

Old 02-12-2009, 02:34 AM   #42

Default young folks w/ guns

Many have said this, so I guess it's my two cents....

I have two boys, one 19 one 20.

I am a certified gun nut. My boys followed that interest. Thier mother was not happy. I wonder if that is one of the reasons we're divorced?

Now, many years later, my boys have been formally trained in the use of all types of firearms. I am convinced that my boys excelled in the area of general responsibility at a very early age because of the the valiable lessons learned at an early age with thier on going firearms training.

Thier mother will still not allow a firearm in her house. Of course, my gun safe is full of thier purchases through the years.

They fully understand the meaning of the second amendment and responsible gun ownership and use.

I am proud of them both.

To the OP, you sound like a responsible young man, good luck with your build, I expect pictures!

Best Wishes to everyone here.

Rant completed.

Old 02-13-2009, 01:49 PM   #43

Most of my build is sort of put on hold right now. I have an RRA lower coming in in the next few weeks (maybe two if i'm lucky). Other than that i have to wait on the rest of my purchases for now until i have more spare cash...

Old 02-16-2009, 01:40 AM   #44

I think we all agree that the comment made about the AR is only used to kill people is just CRAP ! And its just what the ANTI'S need to use against us.....and AR's are used for hunting all the time.... mine is used for coyote hunting all the time... just because some idiot called it a lil''evil black rifle... put a bad name on it which is just wrong.....

Last edited by Kill-Zone; 02-16-2009 at 01:46 AM.

Old 02-26-2009, 03:23 PM   #45

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Congrats on getting parental approval for the AR! I hope that your build goes well and that your rifle is satisfying to shoot for a good long time.

...now slow down and be happy...

In her initial opposition, your mom may have also been trying to caution you about going way overboard in your pursuit of the shooting hobby. You've got to finish school, pursue higher education or vocational training, woo some women, and move to various places for school and work, etc. Take the long view of this lifelong hobby and don't totally fill the 24-gun safe yet. It'll be a pain to drag the arsenal of democracy from one apartment to the next for a decade or so. You'll also want to pick at least one hobby that impresses the chicks.

Have fun, but don't come back to this forum asking about a .50-caliber Barrett until your at least 40 . . .

Old 02-26-2009, 08:08 PM   #46

10/22's are semi and can kill a person.
I fail to understand what the difference is. The round isnt that much bigger.

Your parents are confused.

S.S.

Old 02-26-2009, 10:07 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandRocks View Post
So if this kid gets an AR but hasn't been deployed to combat he'll never know if he needs one. Is capable of using it and if the world is a better place?

You can always tell the folks that never served, they get embarassed when veterans use their service as a benchmark. Since you're a virgin, you actually have NO IDEA what I'm talking about. Had you done 67-71 in the Marines, we'd be able to talk. Since you haven't, you might try listening.
Not only that but he said that they will give you a fully automatic one. the m-16s and m-4s that are used are only capable of semi auto and three round burst. I have no patience for people who claim to be military. Your posts are spoken like a true civilian.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud in "General Introduction to Psychoanalysis"

"My dear boy, I love hearing my relations abused. It is the only thing that makes me put up with them at all. Relations are simply a tedious pack of people, who havenít got the remotest knowledge of how to live, nor the smallest instinct about when to die."

Old 03-02-2009, 11:03 PM   #48

Alright, well so far i don't have any parts yet. Our friend with the FFL put in the order to RRA for the Lower (along with 1 or 2 for himself) and i'm just attempting to wait patiently for it, in the meantime i'm heavily debating modding my 10/22 which is still fully stock.

The actualy build will probably start around May. If not, then unfortunately it will have to wait until summer of 2010 as i will be in Israel all of next year and obviously will not have the parts with me.

Gatordude, it's funny you should mention that, my step-dad and i went to the range about 2 weeks ago and they had a Barrett out on display (i was surprised at how short it was). I asked him if he felt like picking it up but said the .270's and .300 was enough power for now, plus our safe is nearly full, apparentley it only holds 10-12 long guns comfortably and think they're 10 in there as it is. Not including the pistols or my Snake Charmer that aren't in it...