AR15: parents don't want one, say its a "machine gun" - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > AR15: parents don't want one, say its a "machine gun"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2008, 11:11 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

It's not so much ignorance persay as they just simply don't like the idea of a "militaristic" firearm in the house. I'm hopefully going to be able to talk to them both tonight and use some of you guys's ideas to convince them, i'll let you know how it goes.

Many members of my family on all sides have served in the armed forces, neither of them are new to these sorts of guns, they've just never had any in their house.

As far as the only purpose of an AR-15 to kill people i completely disagree. I know several people who use them hog hunting because there will be multiple hogs at once sometimes and a bolt action makes it a lot harder to hit them all. At the same time i'd have more confidence in my .270 to take someone out at a 250yd shot then most AR-15's....

Old 12-11-2008, 12:06 AM   #22

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

wooohooo....stirred up a good one with this one.

what you might do, search the good 'ol internet here and find some pics of folks who do hunt with AR's. copy the pics or save the links up until you have a few collected. then when the moment is right, just happen to be opening up a few of them when the folks are right there. with what you are facing, you'll have to become the 'salesman' and sell them on why you want one, what you can do with it, how responsible you will be with it, etc, etc, etc. you have to be able to show them the positive side of it, the Remington site would be good, also DPMS has several models configured for hunting, anything from .204 to .338 federal, so squirrels to deer.

there's always going to be the nay-sayers out there, even the 'experts' who will be quick to give reasons why you SHOULDN'T, and only this group or that group SHOULD be able to...blah, blah, blah

if you can prove to them that you are responsible, mature enough, experienced enough, you get the picture...all those things that we parents are looking for in our kids, ...and can afford it...then by all means, i don't see why not.

but if you are hanging with the wrong bunch, playing all the latest 'kill 'em all - let God sort 'em out' type video games, or have been performing satanic rituals on small family animals in the pentagram in your room...then you're probably not going to see one for quite a while.

good luck
Slo

Old 12-11-2008, 01:20 AM   #23

Thanks a lot slo, i can see why you are so popular here

I've been checking out remington's site a bit and have some images and lit. to show them.

I've never really fallen into sterorypical groups (always kinda in the middle, so no worries there )

They trust me to go out to our land or my cousins or whoevers and hunt on my own/ with others around my age (16-19),s o I don't THINK it's a trust issue.

A majority of the funds for it will be coming from my birthday/holiday gift funds and i think that part of the problem is they don't like the idea of me spending all of my money on a gun. Although, if it doesn't go into my gun then it's going into my Cherokee and they always complain about how much i spend on that so who knows...

They like my friends in general, i don't really hang out with anyone that gets into trouble with the law or is into drugs or anything so i'm okay there.

Oh, and while i do enjoy playing call of duty, counter-strike, etc... I'm not obsessed with them or anything, i just play them on my downtime. I play other video games besides FPS, go hang out with friends, help out around the house some, and sometimes even act as a productive member of society (volunteer work), as well as a real job in the off-season and school soccer right now. I doubt they think i'm going to turn into a "shoot 'em up" kid

- wow, i just realized I can probably use some of what i wrote to convince my parents, haha....

Old 12-11-2008, 02:01 AM   #24

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

When you turn 18 they can't do anything about you buying a rifle so I'd buy one anyway. That's just me, that's what I did. My dad has guns and likes guns but didn't want me to buy one because he said I could just use his and save my money. When I turned 18 I bought a .22 LR rifle for target practice and then a few weeks later bought a Yugo SKS.

When he found out, he just said be careful with that 7.62 round, it's a big and powerful one. He then told me that if I wanted to shoot it at his house that I could only shoot it in the woods pointing west, down into a large bowl shaped depretion (giant sink hole). I figured that was a reasonable rule since it is a powerful round.
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 12-11-2008, 02:46 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandRocks View Post
There's really only one purpose for an AR-15 and that's to kill people. My Rem 700 BDL w/Leupold scope chambered for .308 will shot circles around my AR. Join the Marines, they'll issue you a full-auto version, allow you to sleep with it, and ship you off to a far way destination where killing folks yah don't even know is encouraged and rewarded. When you come home, you'll know if you need one, are capable of using it, and if the world will somehow be a better place with one in your hands.
This is the exact attitude that gives leverage to the anti gun agenda. You admit to owning a Remington 700, but the AR 15 was only meant to kill people? On that logic, I propose the Remington 700 is meant to kill people only from a greater distance.

So if this kid gets an AR but hasn't been deployed to combat he'll never know if he needs one. Is capable of using it and if the world is a better place?

I am glad you subscribe to the typical anti gun rhetoric, since AR 15's are so useless for anything other than killing people. Why don't you just take it back to the invention of gun powder? I can ASSURE you black powder wasn't created for sporting purposes. Thus ANY GUN you own that uses an ignited nitrocellulose based mixture to launch a projectile is nothing more than an instrument of death devised for the sole purpose of killing people. It's just a question of efficiency. From there the digression follows the logical spiral: Compressed air powered guns. Heavy things. Sharp sticks..

Sometimes the less you know... the less you know.

Old 12-11-2008, 03:02 AM   #26

Well, it seems this thread has somehwat moved away from my originial topic. Oh well....

Anyways, for those still interested, VICTORY!!!

When my parents got back from their office party i talked to them. First of all apparentley my step-dad had no real problem with me having an AR-15, it was more of that my mom didn't want one and in turn he just kind of sided with her.

I managed to convince my mom that I am perfectly competent and able to own this firearm as i have shown nothing but responsibility with my current ones. I went on to explain to her the uses that it will serve and made sure she understood it is semi (mentioned the could get me an auto if the had 20K laying around and they said no haha)...

Apparentley the FFL dealer who i talked to (very close family friend) is ordering 3 for more for his family as well, and he doesn't have a problem with me having one he just wants it under my stepdads name first (the lower) and then he'll transfer it to me. It seems he may have already even ordered my RRA lower although i'm not sure about that.

So, long story short:
Parents say no
I use my wits and charm
parents say yes
I now get to build my "budget" dream AR-15 with their "partially grudgedly given" permission.

I decided to go with a lower i know to be of high quality this way, even if i have to stay budget minded with my other purchases i can put together another kit of everything else later down the line with higher quality parts.

Thanks to everyone who helped and i hope to be learning a lot more form ya'll soon!

Old 12-11-2008, 11:13 AM   #27
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

That's good news! Keep us posted with your progress building it.

Old 12-11-2008, 02:42 PM   #28

So if this kid gets an AR but hasn't been deployed to combat he'll never know if he needs one. Is capable of using it and if the world is a better place?

You can always tell the folks that never served, they get embarassed when veterans use their service as a benchmark. Since you're a virgin, you actually have NO IDEA what I'm talking about. Had you done 67-71 in the Marines, we'd be able to talk. Since you haven't, you might try listening.

Old 12-11-2008, 03:05 PM   #29

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by etjoyride View Post
Well, it seems this thread has somehwat moved away from my originial topic. Oh well....

Anyways, for those still interested, VICTORY!!!

When my parents got back from their office party i talked to them. First of all apparentley my step-dad had no real problem with me having an AR-15, it was more of that my mom didn't want one and in turn he just kind of sided with her.

I managed to convince my mom that I am perfectly competent and able to own this firearm as i have shown nothing but responsibility with my current ones. I went on to explain to her the uses that it will serve and made sure she understood it is semi (mentioned the could get me an auto if the had 20K laying around and they said no haha)...

Apparentley the FFL dealer who i talked to (very close family friend) is ordering 3 for more for his family as well, and he doesn't have a problem with me having one he just wants it under my stepdads name first (the lower) and then he'll transfer it to me. It seems he may have already even ordered my RRA lower although i'm not sure about that.

So, long story short:
Parents say no
I use my wits and charm
parents say yes
I now get to build my "budget" dream AR-15 with their "partially grudgedly given" permission.

I decided to go with a lower i know to be of high quality this way, even if i have to stay budget minded with my other purchases i can put together another kit of everything else later down the line with higher quality parts.

Thanks to everyone who helped and i hope to be learning a lot more form ya'll soon!
congrats
plenty of information, guides and people here that'll take you step by step in building your very own AR-15
enjoy and keep us updated

Old 12-12-2008, 03:12 AM   #30

Once i start my build (early january) i'll start a thread i think.

Junho- that guide you sent me will be verrrrrry beneficial, thanks!