AR15: parents don't want one, say its a "machine gun"
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > AR15: parents don't want one, say its a "machine gun"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2008, 03:52 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default AR15: parents don't want one, say its a "machine gun"

Alright, some of ya'll probably saw my post in the new members section about building an AR starting next month when i turn 18.

Well, now my parents are saying that they don't want me to get one because it is basically a machine gun (the looks, they understand that it is a semi-automatic). Now I already own (well legally i guess they own them) shotguns, a deer rifle, and a 10/22. My mom says that it's different because this semi has the ability to easily kill a deer (or person for that matter), and doesn't like that, as well as her not liking its looks.

Now my reasons for building this are currently Target, Hogs, and Varmint, as well as self defense if it ever comes to that.

What i'm asking from you all is any literature or information that might help sway their minds (my step-dad is very pro gun/ hunting, in fact he's the one that got me into shooting so i'm kind of surprised it has come to this). Please don't say that i should wait until i'm out of the house or something like that. I can't afford to move out at 18, i'm still in high school, and i love my parents. Also, by the time that i do move out I have a feeling it will be much harder to purchase a lower....

Thanks in advance!

Also, I have done hunters safety training and whatnot and have been around guns for over 10 years, so it's not as if i don't know what i'm doing.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-09-2008, 03:59 PM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

we really can't do anything to change your parent's mind
if its your parent's wish you should honor them

but since their judgment is based off of stereotype of AR-15 what you can do it try to break them and see if that changes their outlook on AR-15's
although it does "look" like a machine gun it really isnt...
there's alot of fine print and law regulating that kind of stuff and no civilian can own a "machine gun" legally(only in highly regulated and special cases perhaps)
first off its semi-automatic...no different from many of the hunting rifles you may have used
not really sure the exact details though

one of our members probably knows all the fine print so they'll help you out a little more than i can

"If guns cause crime then all of mine are defective." -Ted Nugent

Old 12-09-2008, 04:55 PM   #3
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1220 Times on 697 Posts
Likes Given: 587

ET,Sorry to here about your problem. You might want to show your folks the AR's that Remington is producing as a hunting/sporting rifle. It is the same AR as any other,they have just put a neat camo coating on it to take away the "evil black rifle" look. Maybe they will change their minds about them.

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club

Old 12-09-2008, 05:05 PM   #4
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1220 Times on 697 Posts
Likes Given: 587

Quote:
Originally Posted by junho806 View Post
there's alot of fine print and law regulating that kind of stuff and no civilian can own a "machine gun" legally(only in highly regulated and special cases perhaps)

Junho,I hate to say,but you are incorrect. It is legal for a civilian to own a machine gun in many states,you just have to do the paper work,and pay the BATFE tax,wait-wait-wait,and then have enough money to buy one in the first place-the machine gun had to be registered before the deadline in 1986 and so there are not many available and the ones that are are very expensive.

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club

Old 12-09-2008, 09:11 PM   #5
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

If they understand the round an AR-15 fires is less powerful than a hunting rifle which they don't object to, and they understand it is NOT a "machine gun" that "sprays bullets", and basically all they don't like about it is the way it looks, then you're probably screwed. I grant you they are not being logical and they are letting emotions trump rational thought. But that's the way most of the world operates most of the time.

Maybe you can meet up with someone locally who owns one and invite your dad out to shoot it with you. If he sees what an AR-15 is -- and isn't -- he might change his mind.

While you live in their house, you follow their rules. That goes for anyone's house you live in. Once you're in your own place, you're golden.

Old 12-09-2008, 09:58 PM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
Junho,I hate to say,but you are incorrect. It is legal for a civilian to own a machine gun in many states,you just have to do the paper work,and pay the BATFE tax,wait-wait-wait,and then have enough money to buy one in the first place-the machine gun had to be registered before the deadline in 1986 and so there are not many available and the ones that are are very expensive.
well i was speaking for Georgia here which isn't Texas
our laws are stricter than yours
and i guess i should have chosen my words better when i read it now it doesn't make sense
if you look at what was in parenthesis which encapsulated all the jazz about getting paper work done and paying lots of money
the whole special case and regulations part i mean...
sorry for the confusion

"If guns cause crime then all of mine are defective." -Ted Nugent

Old 12-09-2008, 11:14 PM   #7

Alright, well I'll try showing them the new remington AR tonight.

A friend of mine jus got an AR about a week ago, i'll see if he wants to go out next weekend and shoot it.

bkt- it's kind of between the two things you mentioned. They don't like that it's a semi-automatic thats more powerful then my 22, even though it's weaker then my bolt action .270. I might try mentioning that they make semi-auto hunting rifles and see how that goes...

Old 12-10-2008, 01:01 AM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You might start out with a Ruger Mini-14, same caliber as an AR-15, similar shooting characteristics, high-cap mags typical, gas-operated, just like a "machinegun", but looks like a nice little carbine with wood stocks. Convince the parents it's a "nice-looking" AR-15. Then later, "slide" on into ownership of an AR.........

Old 12-10-2008, 01:09 AM   #9

Try finding a picture of a Ruger 10/22 that has been decked out like an AR or AK on the web and ask them if they would object to you having it. If they say no, show them its the same rifle you have, just with different clothes. If they say its ok then show them again its just the same with different stock.

Then try and show them that the AR is just another hunting, plinking, fun gun as the others but dressed out different.

-don

Old 12-10-2008, 12:13 PM   #10

There's a GANG of people who should not own an AR-15!!! I'm not suggesting you're one, but again, there's a GANG of people who should not own an AR-15!!! Problem is........who decides and what's the criteria? I spent 67-71 as Sergeant in the Marines so I consider myself very qualified. STILL, I know a GANG of guys at the VFW who are mentally, socially, incomptetent. When I used to shot at the range in Cleveland, I'd say 50% of the people there had no business possessing firearms. Out here in the country, the folks are MUCH more qualified and the local gun club doesn't take crap from it's members. SOOOO, when you get your own place you'll relish the privilidge of making your own rules. Until then.................I won't even say it!